Talked to Dr. re: Vicodin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hermitlady, Oct 3, 2006.

1. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I just got off the phone w my Dr. I called cuz I have been taking 1 or 2 a day and wanted to know if she thought that was OK. She said not to worry about it if I keep it to 2 a day when I need it. She said those who are abusing usually take 8-12 a day....wow.
    I didn't think I was going to ask for more, but it has helped me so much I figured I'd talk to her. Now I have to just stop worrying about becoming a drug addict!!
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

hermitlady:

Good for you. The same for me. It is about time people put guilt out of med taking.

nyrofan
  3. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

Sometimes, people will take 8 - 12 because of there pain and not be addicts. If they need it every 4 hours and even wake up in the middle of the night due to pain...they could have quite a bit in one day. My point being - it is not the number of pills one takes - it is the addict behavior to watch out for. I don't think you have anything to worry about. It is pretty rare for a chronic pain patients to become addicted. I just hate to see folks suffer for no reason when they have a solution to pain right in front of them.
  4. m5shelly

m5shelly New Member

It's the attitude, not the amount. My prescription says take 1-2 as needed for pain every 4 hours! That's 12/day if taking maximum dose (which I don't). But I do take a bunch during the day when I am working... but unlike an addict, if I am not working or sleeping, or just relaxing in my recliner... I don't take them every four hours.
  5. mary124

mary124 New Member

My prescription say to take 1 tablet every 4-6 hours as needed. I take this for my IC pain. Mainly it hurts when I go to the bathroom, obviously, I don't take it EVERYTIME I go to the bathroom, but there are times when I have to take it, including when I go to sleep and am trying to go to sleep after going to the bathroom. Like someone said you don't get addicted to pain medicine if you have chronic pain.
  6. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Well this morning I took an Ultracet and I am zonked out! I have to go pick up my refill of Vic from the pharm today....now I realize how much better it works for me than the Ultracet. I feel worse now than before I took it.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/04/2006]
  7. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

I took vicodin for 10 plus years and actually started out taking only one pill each day. It really helped my pain but got to where years later it didn't work as much so I had to slowly increase my dose.

Eventually I was taking 6 tablets a day or a little more depending on how bad I was hurting. I needed them for pain and doc precribed them along with a breakthrough med.

I don't think it has anything to do with how many you take as long as you are taking it as precribed and are hurting.
    I was clearly not ever an addict and I can't stand doctors that think just because someone takes pain meds they are one.

I believe too it's the behavior one projects to determine if they are abusing any drug and I was told addicts consume much more higher number of pills in the upper double digits.

There is a huge difference between Addiction and Dependancy.

[This Message was Edited on 10/04/2006]
  8. Beachtrekker1

Beachtrekker1 New Member

FMSoldier, I couldn't agree more! I really did alot of research on this. There is a huge difference between being physically dependent vs. being a drug addict. It is in the behavior! When you find yourself lying, stealing, buying off the streetcorner, than you might want to rethink it. Now, if we could get alot of the medical profession to understand it ha! I just have to laugh when I hear people (you know the ones) that are so concerned about you taking meds! That we take them to get that, "euphoric"feeling. I WISH!!!! Unfortunately, it helps me get through the next few hours or so.
  9. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

We watch a show called "Intervention". They follow an addict, could be drugs, alcohol, even shopping, for a period of time and then get them into intervention. It's a good show.

One of them had a woman who was addicted to Vicoden. She was buying them everywhere and was taking 30 a day! THIRTY!! Wow!

I wouldn't be able to get out of bed. I'd be asleep all the time! Besides, I don't think I could swallow that many of the darn things!

I agree, it's not how many or what you take, it is how and why you take them. Usually I take two 750 Vicoden a day and sometimes an additional 500. Right now I am in a major flare and taking the 750 every 6 hours during the day and two of the 500 at night. Seems like a lot, but I'm not worrying about it. When the pain dies down I will be back to my one or two a day again.

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  10. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Well I don't think I'll be venturing out to the street corner to buy drugs anytime soon...Like you guys said, I wish people would lighten up on the comments about the meds I take. I always say that if I had diabetes I would take my insulin and nobody would question that. Depression and FM/CFS are also medical problems that require medication....wake up people!!

People have a warped sense of what's ok to take for depression and pain, that's for sure. But here we are kindred spirits, never judging and finding the support we need amongst ourselves. Wonderful for a change, so glad I found this place.