Tanning and FM treatment

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

Has anyone heard of this new treatment for FM.They recommend that you tan.Has anyone tried this?
  2. millennia

millennia New Member

I never heard of this, but I love to tan (I try to limit myself because of the health risks). It would explain why I feel better in the summer. I wonder if it has something to do with vitamin D.
  3. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

If you do a search of the board, this has been discussed in several threads.

There is a lot of good information about how the heat, etc. helps to relax the muscles and provide pain relief. Of course, it isn't recommended that you tan in large quantities because of the cancer risks invovled with all UV exposure, but my doctor actually suggested tanning to me to help with my symptoms.
  4. KJH_10

KJH_10 New Member

I love to tan, I don't like to bake in the sun, I really like to go the the tanning bed and tan. It is so relaxing, and nice and warm, I think it does help with my pain control.
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

but during the months when I do,..I notice way less pain,and just an overall good feeling~

I was just talking about going tanning once in awhile during the winter to aleviate SAD.
    Most of us don't get the amount of sunshine that we need.

If I do start going again,I'll post back if I notice any improvements whatsoever~

take care :)
  6. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I tan all the time..I only go for about 10-15 min. at a time. Just to get warm. And it is realaxing..

But I don't really see a huge difference...I'm sure I would feel worse if I didn't go.

I think it is a pick me up.. So what ever makes you feel good you do it. Or course don't over do it..

SherylD
  7. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

Last year my dermatologist, of all people, suggested it to me. The key is to NOT BURN! Only stay in their for a few minutes and slowly build up.

I found it did help me and helped to bring my Vit. D level up, which was in the toilet before that.

I can't do it know because of cost and I'm on medications that I need to stay out of the sun.

tigger
  8. gongee

gongee New Member

My doctor just recommended tanning today. He says it not only helps with the pain but also with anxiety and depression. I'm going to give it a shot starting next week.
    Take care.