Tanning bed...Feel better or make things worse???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SherylD, Dec 9, 2005.

1. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I love the sun and going tanning. It is really relaxing to me. And we have a pool so it is nice to hang out by.

I would go tan because I always think that the intense heat would be good for my stiff muscles.

But it has me wondering if when I go to the tanning bed if it is making me feel worse instead of better.

I know sometimes when I tan I itch all over for a few days and it makes me wonder if it is a senstitive thing the bulbs.

What do you think??

SherylD
  2. Solaris_Starr

Solaris_Starr New Member

Hi Shery,

I've been using tanning beds for about 10 yrs now. They have been a God Send to me. I love the way it relaxes me and sooths my aches and pains, not to mention it gives me a nice color masking what I'm sure would be a lovely hue of "green". LOL

I've been using the same tanning salon for so many yrs now it feels like a second home to me. I go about twice a week.
    I know people say it's not good for you but.......at this point with all the hell I live through with this DD, I'll take what ever little happiness and feel good I can. It's the only time I feel almost normal.

Hugs,
    Sandy

3. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

My doctor even told me that using a tanning bed can be very benefical for fibro sufferers because the heat helps our sore muscles, etc.

I don't do it frequently, but it is very relaxing and nice when I do go.
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

I have always heard that the heat helps arthritis sufferers, so I would think that they would help us, too.

I, personally, will not use them due to the dangerous rays. I have systemic lupus also and have this photosensitivity issue and can't get in the suns rays either.

5. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

that tanning beds help fibro and CFS sufferers not only because the heat helps soothe the pain, but also because the UV rays (or some kind of rays) can actually be BENEFICIAL!

I remember getting this info from the board here almost a year ago.

Many people, including some of us people with FM/CFS, are actually Vitamin C & D deficient, and tanning beds help to regain some of the Vit.C & D that our bodies need.

I have even heard that some doctors RECOMMEND this type of "treatment" for many of their FM and CFS patients!

Hope this helps, and if anyone notices that I misquoted something or the info has changed, feel free to say so! (Brain fog! lol)

Hugs!
    Starr

p.s. The skin itching could very well be from the tanner drying out your skin. That's a common thing. If you apply a good quality skin lotion or oil afterward, all over, you should find relief. I have VEEEERRRRRYYYY dry skin and eczema, and Aveeno and Cetaphil are two of my favorites! They're GREAT skin lotions/moisturizers, and both HIGHLY recommended by dermatologists. Cetaphil is SLIGHTLY greasy-feeling after you apply it (not bad), but the softness of my skin after I put it on is well worth that! And Aveeno is great, too, with no greasiness whatsoever.

Hope this info. helped, too.

[This Message was Edited on 12/09/2005]
  6. yorkiegrl

yorkiegrl New Member

The tanning bed makes me feel soooo wonderful! I haven't been going for a few months, but I plan on starting back again soon. It's hard for me to get into & out of the beds though, because I have rods in my back & a plate in my neck from surgery for ruptured discs as well as FM/CFS...but to me, it's worth it just to feel better.

Susan
  7. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

that we take can cause photosensitivity!.Enjoy if it helps you though
  8. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

that excessive use of tanning beds can cause skin cancer, I had a friend that got a cancerous growth on her nose from excessive tanning - all done in the tanning bed. Her Dr. told her to stay away from them.
  9. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I don't won't to be negative...but I said that I would speak up about tanning beds when my nephew got skin cancer from direct use of them....and died after long time of suffering!

He spoke up about them... and so greatly regreted it. But, it was too late. He used them often though. But, I am just scared of them.

I don't want to make anyone angry, but if you could have seen what I saw from this.... you would understand!!

With Love and Concern.....MamaR
  10. Mamalovinit

Mamalovinit New Member

they do make me feel better and look healthier too.

BUT.... I am afraid of them

So I go in the winter and cold rainy days when I hurt the most.

I haven't been for several months.

I want to go back soon. Skin cancer runs big in my family, so I don't know.

Maybe in moderation?
  11. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

ALL UV rays in large amounts cause skin cancer, whether they are from tanning beds or natural sun.

It is very important to protect your skin every day by using sun screen, etc.

And when it comes to tanning, all tanning (natural or beds) should be done in moderation.

However, a person who is outdoors during peak exposure times on a regular basis is much more likely to get skin cancer than someone who uses a tanning bed once or twice a month. And research shows that occassional use of tanning beds is beneficial to many.
  12. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

I think a tanning bed helps me. I agree with the heat reducing our muscle pain...I dont go much, but its usually pretty humid here in Texas and I am the only one that loves the heat! I have noticed I feel worse when we have cold fronts come through.
    The itching you get may be a reaction from a medication, or maybe dry skin.
    JPach
  13. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Sheryld:
    I find a tanning bed relaxing and do go once in a while.
    I probably pay through the nose for being a 'walk in' at various places, but I do not care.

Afterwards I use skin cream like crazy. And going is sometimes a good self-esteem booster. At leat it is for me.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  14. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

I found a tanning place that is family run. It is VERY CLEAN. No turn over of teenage employees.

I also have a good friend who owns a tanning place (to far away for me to go to- DRAT!) and he has told me to wear a very good sunscreen when I go. I burn really bad anyway, and so I can only stay in for a few minutes. I have to build up time VERY slow.

If you are going for warmth and light, if you use the sunscreen, you can increase your time and cut your risk.

At least that's what my friend tells me. He's been a friend for 35 years.... I hope he's telling me the truth! Since I don't go to his place, he has no reason to tell me other wise (I hope)

I go a couple times a week, but I only go for 10 minutes - even going year round, if I went for longer than that, I'd be fried, even with the sunscreen.
  15. mrsED

mrsED New Member

the tanning salon in the winter. I think it helps with seasonal depression which is due to lack of light.
    I always get a boost when I go but I do find the bed uncomfortable for my back. I have to try to bend my knees which isn't easy.
    I think the benefit outweighs the negatives.
    MrsEd