Tanning Beds f/Winter Aches and Pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Toga, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Toga

Toga Member

I was reading another thread that was discussing the winter weather and how it affects most of us.

One person suggested that we go to a Tanning Salon if we can follow the Sun to another part of the world.

Do any of you do that? Does it help? How often do you go? And how long do you stay under the lights? Would it reduce the results if you cover your face?

I know, I have lots of questions. I'm thinking of trying this but I don't want to trade one set of problems for another.

Thanks Toga
  2. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I have a tan bed at home and I don't see that it help me with pain. I think it helps me to feel better when its cloudy for weeks at a time which it is where I live. I have heard from other people that it helps them tho. You need to start off real slow if you try it. Only about 5 minues at a time for the first few times.Then you can move up in time slowly a couple minutes at a time till you are at 20 min. That is the longest that you should tan at a time. I suggest every other day but some people tan every day. It dries my skin out alot so I don't do it much anymore. I am thinking about selling mine. Hope someone out there has better news for you....~Hugs~ Mick!!
  3. Kryssie

Kryssie New Member

I also have a tanning bed at home and I dont think it helps me either. Maybe while im in it, but other than that I dont think so. You could try it though what works for one doesnt work for all. Good luck!
  4. Toga

Toga Member

Doesn't sound so good so far. We've had a drastic change in weather today, like a 35 degree drop and I hurt pretty bad.

Yesterday was a lovely day. I'm in Missouri or as I like to call it, MISERY.

Thanks,

Toga
  5. for me....just grasping at any ole straw that *might* help me at all.

He suggested 5 min, 1-2 times a week. paying for the sessions though, I did NOT go only for 5 min...8min the first time, 11 the second, then 20 after that, it all depends on how easily you tan or burn... I used to tan when I was younger, so I didn't burn. 8 min is the minimal time at our salons, but, you can get out on your own, & leave the bed running while you're dressing when you've had enough..

I never felt as good as I did on my FIRST visit....just while I was in the bed...but 99% of my pain went away--I was stunned....beds aren't exactly soft!

Never got that again..and due to a genetic disease I was born with, or MS, sometimes, I would get extremely sick, hot, lethargic, weak, & wouldn't be able to stay the full time, I would have to sit in front of the fan, wiping my body down, trying to pull it together enough to get to my car. IN THE WINTER, I would have to turn the a/c on for a few minutes, (or just the vent) to be able to cool off enough for my brain to handle driving home....

I decided that kind of 'roulette' was not worth *anything!*
    I didn't like not knowing when it would happen or not.

I couldn't now, if I *wanted* too, our salon has a HUGE poster, of medications that may cause problems/interact, and, I don't want to speed up any fading of my tattoos. :)

Doc just thought the heat would help/light stimulate Vitamin D..

Take care,

Laura
  6. Toga

Toga Member

Thanks Laura for your input and for the laugh. I wouldn't want to jeprodize my tatoos either.

I do remember that the beds are hard and I'm on a lot of meds too. Maybe I should just forget about it.

I also have a problem with hot flashes too. I think they are from the Cymbalta I'm on but I just fluff it off to others as if its Menopause. That way no dumb questions like, "why don't you stop taking it?"

I guess I need to come up with a better idea. I would like to have a lovely beach home in the Carribean or on the Pacific Coast of Mexico. But then again, wouldn't we all?

Thanks again,
    Toga