Tanning beds help with FM????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by frustrated101, Sep 28, 2005.

1. frustrated101

frustrated101 New Member

I was just curious to know if anyone thinks using a tanning bed would help with the aching associated with FM...I live in the Midwest and had a GREAT summer as far as minimal aching from my FM symptoms. I think the heat played a great role in my feeling better. Now the weather is cooling off and it's starting to get rainy and wet, I'm getting that God-awful aching back that I so much have been dreading.

I can't say it was 100% gone over the summer, but it was SO much better than in the Fall and Winter. I absolutely HATE to see summer end if this is what I'm in for again.

Someone mentioned to me that maybe a tanning bed would help with the aching in the winter. They suggested going twice a week to alleviate some of the pain. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with this.

Would it help or would I just be opening up another can of worms with the harmful tanning rays?

Any suggestions would help..

Thanks.
  2. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I think it is the light and the fact we really don't usually get out much. I would put some lotion with SPF on your face at least, though. Also, check out if your medications are okay while being in the sun.
  3. chp1298

chp1298 New Member

I have a cousin with FMS that swears the beds help her. I tried and it just hurt my back.
  4. elizabeth136854

elizabeth136854 New Member

yes the tanning bed is great but if you don't own one the only problem is gettin up and going to it..... elizabeth
  5. frustrated101

frustrated101 New Member

Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond to my post. I appreciate everyone of the responses. I value all of the many opinions.
  6. therxmouse

therxmouse New Member

Hi,

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

If I'm having a really bad day I head to the tanning salon. It ALWAYS helps me. Sometimes I worry about the skin damage but I go anyway. I worry about all the meds I take too. But I still take them! I guess you have to weigh the benefit to the risk sometimes.

Sending good thougts your way! ~ Mickie
    [This Message was Edited on 09/29/2005]
  7. Reyna

Reyna New Member

It was not until I read this that I realized that my FM only showed up so severly when I quit tanning....could it be that it was helping me that much???
  8. elsa

elsa New Member

I too feel much better in hot summer months. Winter before last I started going to a tanning bed place in the middle of February.

I had been in the Bahamas for 3 weeks visiting my Mother and had improved greatly while I was there.

With the good base tan I came home with, I vainly wanted to keep it going with the tanning beds. To my delight, I found they truly helped my fibro.

I would schedule a morning appointment ( 30 minutes ...
    keeping in mind my base tan )and the benefits could be felt for the rest of the day. I felted warmed from the inside out ... and kept that feeling by wearing insulating fabrics like silk long underwear and polartec jackets.

Not only did it provide relief and relaxation during the session, but my warmed up and loosened muscles stayed flexible. My attitude was much improved as well.

I don't know how much benefit the lights provide where SAD is concerned, but I do know the overall effect was wonderful.

The tanning bed seemed to work on me like break through pain medication.

Last winter I tried the SAD lights. I had a bad winter. Ended up with tons of ace bandages for wrists, knees, elbows, etc supporting the joints that had flared into tendonitis.

Since my experiment of last year failed me ... I'm going back to the tanning beds.

Keep in mind your skin type. I have a dark skin tone even in the dead of winter ... have always been the tan, never burn skin type ... so I don't face the difficulties so many other's might.

Even so, I use a really good skin product ( and seperate one for face ) while tanning. No need to be risky with my skin.

In my mind ... tanning beds take the place of break through pain meds. I balanced the possible risks and quality of life (how sleepy, dopey )of the meds vs skin care in tanning beds. I opted for the beds.

Hope this helps you some ........

Take care,

Elsa
    P.S. Like pain medication, I think it is a good idea to stay "ahead of" of the pain. This year I'll start my sessions alot sooner. It is still warm where I live at the moment. I'll probably start in another couple of weeks .. @ mid October. ......Elsa
    [This Message was Edited on 09/29/2005]