Tanning Beds, Need Your Imput

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cinnveet, Mar 20, 2006.

1. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

Many years ago I had sun poisoning real bad with blisters and scaring.

Because I live in Florida, my family Dr. advised me 6 yrs ago to get a base tan from tanning salon in March before the UV rays get high.

Now that I have been recently diagnose w/FM, I am worried about Tanning Beds.

I would really appreciate any advise on this matter.

Thanks!
    Cindy
  2. livin4him

livin4him New Member

But I tried it twice after getting sick and it really bothered me. I felt like I was burning up. I don't know what it is, I just don't do it anymore.

Have you thought about other forms of sunprotection when you are out. I used to live in Florida and never had that problem, of course, never really could get out, but when I did I just used lots of suncreen and wore hats all the time.

Good luck.
  3. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

I do use SPF #30. I wear hats to the beach & park. 2 wks ago when I was at the beach I really notice the strength of the sun was much stronger and had to reapply lotion.

I never had problems w/tanning beds before, but am a little more cautious of everything I do now so I dont make matters worst with the way I feel.

Thanks again for your response.
    Cindy
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i live in california and i know what you are talking about..i used to go to the tanners..but i am 41 yrs. now and i just don't want to wrinkle up any quicker than need be...

research the beds on the net..

jodie
  5. Butterflymom

Butterflymom New Member

Hi, I'm new here but I wanted to tell you what I do. I havent been to tannning beds in 2 years but I started back just 2 weeks ago. I only stay 6 minutes right now as I don't want to get burned up. I do start getting really hot fast so I just stay as long as I can take it and that is it, I get out. I have found with my fibro that I can't get to hot but I also can't get to cold. Crazy way to live your life.

Butterflymom
  6. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

it seems like I have to be extra careful with everything I do anymore so I dont bring on a flare.

Having this DD can make it a scary place for us to live in.

Thanks Again,
    Cindy
  7. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I also used to do only 6 minutes or so, that will keep a flare away and give me what I came for.
  8. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

I can so relate to your story!... I also lived in Fl. and was a huge sun worshiper! After a couple of bouts of sun
    poisoning with the blisters and whole nine yard etc. I spent the next 5 years sun and tanning bed free!

Last winter my Dr. recommended i give it another try in small doses, for several reasons.

1.) To combat SAD (seasonal affective disorder); dark days and winter can trigger biological changes in your brain and body that lead to clinical depression.
    2.) A source of Vitamin D
    3.) Heat Therapy
    4.) An overall confidence and moral booster

I started very very very slow! Like 3 min. the first week.... 4 the next.... adding a min. each week, as i burn very easily. I maxed out at 10 min. and never go more than that. Now that i have a nice base. I just go once every 2 weeks.

I'm still a little vain though, and worried about premature aging LOL.... so i use an SPF on my face, neck, and chest!... You still tan through SPF!

Good Luck & Have Fun!
    TM~
  9. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

Thanks so much for your feedback.

The tanning salon is 2 doors down from my office and I went and talked to the lady who owns it. She said she has alot of customers that use tanning beds for all sorts of conditions, acne, muscle spasms, fatigue, etc... and they will come in once or twice a week.

I think I am going to give it a try and just start off slow, but keep using the SPF when I am out in the sun.

Thanks again,
    Cindy
  10. Staceymarie

Staceymarie New Member

I lay in the tanning bed once or twice a week. The warmth of it relaxes my muscles and I just seem to feel better after I tan. Also, I look better with a little color.

I never burn in the sun because I do go to the beach a lot during the summer.
  11. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

Can be a hazard, but when used properly they can be a good thing. People tend to overdo. They go for the hottest bed and the one that just had all the bulbs replaced.... they want to max out their 15 min as quickly as possiable. They also salon hop, which is so dangerous!

You got to be smart about things, as with anything really!... Know your body, and go slowly. Especially with this DD! Don't want any nasty flares. Our body's need sunlight, and most of us don't get enough.

TM~
  12. sueliza

sueliza New Member

I went for years breaking out in a rash every summer when I went to the pool or beach. I avoided going anywhere warm or tropical because it was so uncomfortable.

Only clothing would keep me from breaking out.

Two years ago I started going to a tanning bed very, very slowly and I have been rash free ever since! I never go more than once a week and don't even go in the summer since I am outside alot.

The bed also seems to relax my muscles and I actually feel warm for the rest of the day!

Sue
  13. johnsmith101

johnsmith101 Member

I would say that just have a complete information before you take any step