Tansy - Lyme Tests UK

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rosiebud, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I have been looking on Lyme Disease sites for UK trying to find where I could have a reputable test done.

Do you have any info on this as I know you have Lyme yourself.

I know you cant give emails here but any kind of directions would be appreciated.

Thanks

love
    Rosie
    [This Message was Edited on 09/17/2005]
  2. dontlikeliver

dontlikeliver New Member

but, I hope you don't mind me replying anyway.

There IS no reliable test in the UK. You could, however, have your blood drawn and shipped to Igenex for instance. Igenex dot com

There is also MDL labs and you may be able to have your blood shipped there also. But, there is no such lab in the UK that does reliable testing.

ANY blood test should be used ONLY AS AN ADJUNCT to a clinical diagnosis. So, a diagnosis of Lyme is not based on a blood test only, or it should not be.

Have you also visited bada-uk dot org?

DLL
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Rosie

We can send blood to Bowen labs in the US as well, but that's even less well accepted than the Igenex test in the UK. The advantage of Bowen is it tests for two other co infections as well without additional costs.

In theory a postitive Igenex Western Blot test should be accepted, but in practice only a few doctors are accepting the results.

The only tests most doctors here accept are those done in the UK. Even with a positive NHS test, which returns up to 90% false negatives, the Tx recommended are usually inadequate. As far as recognition and access to funded treatments is concerned it is much the same as having ME/CFS; late stage lyme disease/borreliosis, or what they refer to as post lyme syndrome, are seen as being the same.

Check out the web resource DLL recommended, there's some yahoo groups on which borreliosis/lyme and other zoonotic infections are discussed. Some regional ME/CFS groups are becoming more aware of the non-viral infections frequently invovled in these DDs. A "virus" may have triggered my ME, but as the years went by it became increasingly obvious that non viral infections were involved too.

love, Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 09/17/2005]
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Dont-like-liver and Tansy. I do like Tansy lol.

I will check this out further as recommended.

I wonder why Lyme is taken seriously in USA but not in UK? Do they have different tics there that makes infection more of a possiblity and give a more serious illness?

Or is it just the NHS ignoring yet another chronic illness to save money?

love
    Rosie

Rosie
    [This Message was Edited on 09/18/2005]