TANSY or anyone- silly question but....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bunchy, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Not being able to go to sleep before four or five AM (even with max dose of sleeping tablets) and not being able to wake up before midday, without serious health consequences, how could we cope in a hospital environment if we ever needed to go in for something?

It really worries me, even more so because of not being able to sleep with the slightest noise and not being able to lie on hard beds not to mention the problems with too hot or cold rooms etc.

I know this is a "what if" question but would like to know what you think and anyone else's experiences if they have similar sleeping and temperature issues.

Love Bunchy x
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Hospitals are the most uncomfortable, noisiest places all those bleepers and hard mattresses etc. ONe would think that they would come up with something better for SICK people. I think they are worse now than they used to be as at least before all the electronic drips and such they used to be quiet places. In fact, in UK the Sister in charge of the long wards would be furious if there was the slightest noise after lights out. Now they don't even turn lights out and someone in the next bed is watching Jerry Pringer reruns all night and during the day in comes her family and they ARE the people on the JS show!!!!!

They used to have places called convalescent homes years ago where these lovely buildings by the shore or mountains, would have this place where one was pampered and cared for so gently(in UK)people were sent there by the doctor for six weeks, "to rest and feel well". All on the National Health too, for free. Even for serious things they have even very old people in and out of hospital in a couple of days now. So you would not have to put up with being in for long is the only comfort I can render. Wish I could be more "up" -maybe you could creep into the chapel for a bit of rest. I've done that with a friend, taken her to the Chapel as at least it was quiet in there and we took a few pillows and she rested on a couple of chairs.
    Love Crom(Anne)
  3. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I have thought about the hospital situation also....as I have a ritual just to get sleep. I wait until late to go to bed.... take my meds....then wait until I can get sleepy....put in ear plugs...and hope for the best.

Also....the bed has to be soft.....so I think if we went into the hospital....they would surely have to give us strong sleep meds!!!
  4. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Tansy, you seem so clued up on everything - what do you think? Please respond even if it is brief - thanks and thanks everyone else, I agree a hospital is no place for people like us but I'm sure I will have to go into one for something one day. I'd rather die to be honest...LOL

Bunchy x
  5. elsa

elsa New Member

Try not to worry about it. It is not looming large in your immediate future is it?

That last time I was in a hospital I could care less about what was going on around me. It was simply too sick to be aware of much. On top of that, I was given medication to help me sleep and I'm not referring to the rx'ed sleep meds for fibro. I'm talking big boy meds ... In fact I slept almost around the clock ...

We have so much to be concerned about that faces us on a daily basis ... that we have to deal with in the here and now .....

Don't add to your stress level worrying about something you feel will happen sometime in the future. You'll cross that bridge if and when you come to it. My grandmother used to call it "borrowing trouble". We certainly don't need anymore of that do we? LOL

Take care,

Elsa

6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

this is not an immediate problem for you and if it ever happens, believe me you will cope. You would explain your illness and sleep patterns to the nurses and hopefully they would understand.

My sleep pattern is askew as well and I cant take meds to help me sleep because of the side effects.

Dont worry about something that might not happen, you have enough to worry about right now.

love
    Rosie

7. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

you are all so kind. I have very complex health issues and have flu at the moment so feeling extra anxious - the "what if's" are taking over again. Hugs to all,

Bunchy x
  8. tansy

tansy New Member

skewed circadian cycle; mine was confirmed by a 24 hour saliva test which included DHEAs and cortisol. As yet I have not been able to adjust my hours so for the time being I am going with the flow. My sleep med works better now but even so I still have to accept this change in my circadian cycle otherwise it can be a waste of time taking it.

Since becoming ill I have had 3 spells as an inpatient, two for less than a week, the other for 3 months. I did not cope well with the hospital environment for the reasons already mentioned here but on two occasions it was much worse due to the medical procedures/meds.

The sleep issues are the most difficult, but if the nursing staff accept your problems they may well try work around them. There are many possibilities for dealing with the others.

love, Tansy [This Message was Edited on 01/21/2006]