Tansy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rosiebud, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Tansy

have you any thoughts on our government stocking only enough antivirals for birdflu for only 1/4 of the population.

An article yesterday said, they were talking about putting police guards on the stockpiles as people, who weren't in the frontline services, would try to get it.

Apparently France has enough antivirals for its population.

I want to do something but dont know what. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Rosie
  2. KelB

KelB New Member

As Avian Flu hasn't yet developed into a form that can be transmitted human to human (at the moment, humans can only catch it from direct contact with infected birds), I thought they hadn't been able to develop a vaccine against that particular strain yet?

As far as I know, you can't develop a vaccine for a strain of flu that doesn't exist yet.
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I quote from today's paper

'The first 170,00 doses of a vaccine, Tamiflu, have been stockpiled in Scotland.......have ordered 1.3million doses
    ......Tamiflu can be help to ease the symptoms of avian flu'.

I just wonder why theyre not stockpiling enough to help everybody.

Rosie

4. tansy

tansy New Member

It's not the first time there have been issues similar to this. As far as govt is concerned those responsible for running the country, and the services we rely on, will take precedence.

Maybe your MP can tell you why France is able to ensure it's population has access to this antiviral, whilst most UKers are left to fend for themselves.

This sounds just like their attitudes to ME/CFS, FM, GWS.... Decision makers at the DoH have already been accused, by an important Govt committeee, of having their heads in a fog of ignorance over the infection rate in hospitals. Wisdom and common sense don't seem to have much influence on govt and public service decisions these days; I look forward to seeing if they employ their usual spin to explain this one.

love, Tansy

[This Message was Edited on 10/10/2005]
  5. KelB

KelB New Member

Tamiflu is actually an "all-purpose" existing flu vaccine, that is only effective in relieving the symptoms of Avian Flu in its early stages.

Quote from the Daily Telegraph's web site:

"Prof Sir Liam Donaldson, the Chief Medical Officer for England, said they believed that the anti-viral drug [Tamiflu] would reduce the severity of symptoms and slow the spread of infection but he said that they did not really know how it would perform in a pandemic.

Sir Liam stressed that development of a vaccine would take four to six months and could only begin once the new, pandemic flu strain had been identified.

'No country has got an avian flu vaccine even at an early stage,' he said."

Although this was in March this year, there is still no evidence that a human-specific Avian Flu strain has evolved (although experts are sure that it will), so there is still no specific Avian Flu vaccine.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/11/2005]
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Tansy, I will contact my MP though doubtful if it will help.

KelB - now I understand about the Tamiflu - I've seen it on sale on the internet for £58 for 7 days, for one person. You need to take that dose for it to help apparently. That's a lot of money if you're poor but not if it would help but who knows if it would.

Smiffy - that's what I'm wondering, what's going to happen to everyone that doesnt get the anti-viral or vaccine. I'm hoping this is just scare tactics by the newspapers, they're pretty good at that.

love Rosie
  7. elsa

elsa New Member

Is not a vaccine agaist avian flu. It won't prevent getting it and it is not a gaurantee of a shorter course of the flu once you contract it.

If taken at the very first signs of possible flu, tamiflu maybe effective in reducing the severity of symptoms, but it doesn't kill the virus.

Take care,

Elsa