Taste of Food

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by getfitat40, Jun 14, 2006.

1. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

For about 6 months or so most foods has lost it's taste for me. At one point my rheumy thought it was low zinc levels but that wasn't it because my levels are now normal. I waste so much food - I try to eat because I know I need to but after a couple of bits I am through.

Now one would think I had lost a lot of the weight I need to lose but unfortunately I have not. Spicy foods, beef, and chocolate are my newest staples which are not all that healthy. I don't know what to do. My ENT said there is a doctor here in Chicago that is a taste expert but insurance does not cover it.

I think I posted this a while back, but I am hoping someone has some ideas for me. Thanks, Nancy
  2. 121043

121043 New Member

At times no matter what I eat nothing will taste right.
    Everyone else say it is great. Fibro ??? I wonder?
    Loretta
  3. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I have this issue too, but it comes and goes. Nothing tastes good to me, nothing is appealing to eat. It makes it difficult cause we are supposed to eat good. Right now things are tasting OK but a few weeks ago, I lost my taste and it lasted a few weeks ago. I have no idea why.
    Sorry I have no ideas, just wanted to let you know I get this too.
  4. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

WOW, I thought it was just me. Just goes to show how many things we all have in common. I used to love to cook. I still do...I just don't have the energy. I used to be very creative in the kitchen and I loved to eat whatever I prepared. I also used to enjoy eating out at good restaurants.

That has all changed. Getfit, I can relate with what you said about the fact that one would think that you should be thin by the way you eat. I hardly eat. Nothing tastes good. Yet, I need to lose about 30 lbs. I know that my metabolism is out of wack because of many years of dieting and also not eating enough putting my body into "starvation mode".

Funny as it sounds my husband and I went on a cruise last year and I actually lost weight. I ate a little every 3 or 4 hours. I tried to stick to healthy foods, but I even ate sweets and I still lost weight. I ate whatever appealed to me in small amounts throughout the day. That's proof to me that I am not eating enough at home.

My tastebuds have really changed. I never used to be a fussy eater. I won't eat fast food or processed foods, so that pretty much leaves food that needs to be prepared and since I don't have the energy to cook, I hardly eat.

Lolalee
  5. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

started before I went to FFC and began all my meds. So it wasn't the meds that caused it at least for me.
  6. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I am so glad that I am not the only one but wouldn't wish this on anyone. I love fine dining and cooking and nothing works for me. I thought about the meds but none of them seem to have this side effect.

You know how antibiotics can give you the metallic taste or sinus drip leaves another bad taste in your mouth - this is more the lack of flavor, not the addition of a different taste good or bad.

Hopefully some doctor will figure this out - he first thought it was from low zinc levels but that turned out ok.

Hang in there ya'll...