Tattoo suggestions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by petsrme, Mar 27, 2006.

1. petsrme

petsrme Member

I think I am going off my rocker! I am considering getting a tattoo. I want to get something really small either on my shoulder (right since it is the one that isn't bothering me right now) or the back of my neck. I just feel the need to do something to assert my independence. I would like suggestions of things that symbolize independence, strength etc. I have tried looking online for suggestions but didn't see anything. I am considering a butterfly. Does anyone know of any symbols or things that I could get?

My body is shot all to heck, but my neck, ankle and shoulders look "normal" so I thought those might be good areas. I do have a lot of allergies to soaps, lotions, etc. Would that be a factor in not getting a tattoo? Do people with allergies do okay with getting one? Thanks for any suggestions.
  2. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i was fine when getting tattooed and plan to go back for more.
    alyndra has a lot of allergys and has lots of tattoos so she will be one to talk to about allerys and tats.

i was fine on the pain factor but i think thats something to do with how we feel pain, have you noticed the slightest bump can make you explode and yet big things that should hurt dont bother much????

as for ideas on what to have, what are you into? i love sheep and so i had a sheep designed for me. look for alyndras last thread on tattoos and tatooists as there is loads of onfo there that will really help you and some great discussion too.
  3. petsrme

petsrme Member

Thank you Smiffy! I was worried about any effects if might have on my body too. I will look at the posts about tattoos to see if I see any ideas.
  4. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I have a humming bird on my left shoulder.

I loved the thought of flying free.Free from everything.

They are so beautiful and so am I.Well maybe now since this DD just on the inside.

And I never felt any pain while he was doing it and it healed fast.I put sun screen on it so it keeps its color.

Sue
    PS Got mine at 45 kids thought I was crazy LOL.
  5. RockiAZ

RockiAZ New Member

Hi Pets!

I have several and they all have special meanings except for 2 - they are just for fun. As far as symbols, I think it depends on what suits you and what you feel is important or has special meaning.

I am not a fan of roses (especially real ones due to allergies), but my "symbol" tattoo is a tiny baby rose bud on a tiny stem that is barely opening up - this is my "re-birth"(non-religious), my new beginning on life, the "new" me. I had this made for me after my breakdown at age 27 (you can read my bio) when I decided I wasn't going to let anyone else hurt me.

My husband has a "Phoenix" bird rising from the ashes on his arm which for him is his new beginning.

I'm sure you will, but just make sure to check out several tattoo artists and their facilities before you decide. There are many good ones out there, but then you have the other kind.

Live, Laugh, Love,
    Rocki
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Never had any problems with tattoos or piercings.

Get one that has special meaning for you. I got musical notes on my arm to see if it hurt. It didn't so I got a couple more tattoos.

Check out tattoo books at the library or magazines at the news rack. That should give you lots of good ideas.
  7. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

First off, thanks to Smiffy. If there's 2 things I can talk about till I'm blue in the face it's Allergies & Tattoos! Helps get my mind off things.

Petsrme, I bumped up the previous posts that Smiffy was referring to for you. Although allergies didn't come up as a main topic (if I remember correctly). The biggest issue I have between allergies vs. tattoos is that my tattoos stay raised because of the reaction my body has to the ink.

From time to time if I'm sick, or if there's alot of other allergens around - they'll raise up just a bit more then usual and itch.

I think the best way I can explain the level of uncomfort my tattoos cause me - is that it hasn't stopped me from getting more!!

Like you, I also have problems with soaps and lotions, but the best part about the healing & cleansing of a tattoo is that you have to stick with uncolored & unscented soaps & lotions.

I use original Dial Antibacterial for cleansing & then Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion for healing.

I think the only other advice I could throw in is that what the tattoo is doesn't have to be anything specific. It's getting the tattoo, no matter what it is; that will 'assert your independance'.

Good luck!

~Amanda
  8. petsrme

petsrme Member

Thank you all so much for your suggestions and support. I will take a picture when I get one and let you all see it. You all are great!!