Tattoos and FM Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SkeptikSharon, Sep 12, 2008.

1. SkeptikSharon

SkeptikSharon New Member

Hey all,

I just saw my chiropractor today (first time back to the one I had seen 8 years ago - so he knew me before this all started or got really bad).

He has been treating a lot of FM patients lately, and when he was doing some light massage on my low back, he saw the kind of large tat I have there. My low back is one of the spots where I have the most pain. He also remembered I have one on my right shoulder, which I've had for years, and the right side of my shoulder, neck, and back of head is another one of those spots that are REALLY painful.

He mentioned that he has noticed that some of his patients have tats either on the spot or near their most painful spots. He's not sure if it may be some kind of toxic reaction to the tats or if it is due to the trauma of being tattooed, but he has found that for some people, this can be a cause of at least some of their pain. He wants to do this mud pack/detox treatment on at least those two tats (I have 5 total and HAD plans for more) to see if that can at least ease some of the pain and draw out some of the toxins. He has had pretty good results doing this on other patients.

So I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of tattoos either causing or complicating their FM pain? I had never even thought that the two might be connected, but he does make a good point about the most painful spots, especially my low back.

Alright, I'm off to go meet a friend for coffee, but will check back in later! Hope you all are well!
  2. sturg1

sturg1 New Member

No tats on me, but bumping for other input!

Very interesting!
  3. cordy250

cordy250 Member

I have a number of tats but have no more or less pain at the sites than a lot of other places.

Honestly, I am very sceptical of anything chiropractors have to say about toxins and such. They are good for some muscular skeletal problems, but they go overboard about some things. My sister is a chiropractor and I have been to many chiros over the years, so I am not just blowing smoke.