taurine for sleep - it works!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, Apr 25, 2012.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

taurine is an amino acid and is a GABA agonist (strange word but it means the opposite of antagonist), it potentiates the effect of GABA. I found a bottle I had lying around, cannot remember ordering it, but read about it last night so took one capsule and within about 45 minutes I was ready to knock off. I'd already taken my usual nightly cocktail of l-theanine (200 mg.), melatonin (3 mg.) and calcium and magnesium.

I went to sleep much quicker, slept sounder, did wake in the middle of the night as usual but was not awake for as long. I am going to try taking it sometime without all the other stuff I usually take, or at least cut the doses of my usual cocktail.

Here's a link to an article: "Taurine Is a Potent Activator of Extrasynaptic GABAA Receptors in the Thalamus"

Also, interestingly enough, in reading some reviews about taurine, I found a couple of people who said it helped them get off of klonopin. I believe they had to use one other product but the taurine really helped.

Anyways, it really seems to be powerful stuff and I am just surprised that I am just now coming across it -

2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I was wondering about you since you post almost every day - I didn't realize you were in the middle of a big storm in the northeast. I had read that many people were without power, a very scary thing in freezing weather.

I can imagine how isolating that is to be without computer access! If I did not have the Internet, I think I would go mad (well, figuratively speaking at least!) wtih this DD.

I'm so glad you're back on-line.

Well, I was taking 2 l-theanine (200 mg. total) and 150 mg. of 5htp, and definitely am going to cut back on them and see how I do. It's 12:30 here (noon time) and I still feel drugged from last night! It's crazy.

You don't need an "excuse" to post - it's just nice to have support and hear from you!

Best wishes,

3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

That's interesting that taurine is stimulating for you. It hit me like a truck. I know people can have opposite reactions to many different things - it's good to be aware that that can happen --

4. neoplus1

neoplus1 Member

through the methylation cycle? What is taurines relationship to the methylation cycle? I am curious since the functions of taurine in the body are in areas where many people have symptoms of ME/CFS&Fibro. It helps calm nerves and ease anxiety, it is very important for muscle strength, is part of digestion as bile is very high in taurine, and finally is important for heart rhythm and overall cardiac function.

I know some studies and some anecdotal evidence suggests that taurine can correct arrythmias as well as help with heart failure. There was a study done on mice that were designed to lack taurine in their bodies and they suffered a loss of 80% muscle strength. Interestingly there cardiac function was largerly normal, HOWEVER, that doesn't mean the mice would not have suffered cardiac symptoms such as fluttering, palpitations, elevated heartrate, etc. the mice just wouldn't be able to tell us they're feeling it. We similarly tend to have normal cardiac test results despite multiple cardiac symptoms many of us experience daily.

5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I don't know anything about taurine and methylation.

Unfortunately (or fortunately perhaps?) I found that taurine caused a severe detox reaction for me - taurine it turns out is part of Phase II detoxification, and that is my achilles heel - detoxing. so I had to stop the taurine, for now at least.

Yes, you're right about it helping with cardiac issues. I actually had read about this some 4 years ago and did a post here (http://www.prohealth.com/me-cfs/blog/boardDetail.cfm?id=1238257) which I forgot about (including its detox properties), and only came across taurine again a few months ago in connection with sleep.

So, I'd love to be able to take taurine for sleep, my heart and detoxing, but can't tolerate it right now.

Have you ever had an impedance cardiography? Arnold Peckerman wrote a paper which showed a direct correlation between abnormal impedance cardiography results and CFS symptoms (see http://cfids.best.vwh.net/MESA/Peckerman.pdf)

I had two impedance cardiographies done a year apart 6 or 7 years ago, and both were quite abnormal, but I had a full regular cardiac workup done earlier this year and passed with flying colors. But of course the cardiologist dismissed the impedance cardiography results as unimportant, and completely dismissed my complete exercise intolerance and post-exertional crashing too. Amazing - he told me to keep up the good work and continue exercising, after being told that I have not been able to exercise for 14 years.

6. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, neoplus1.

Some taurine comes in from the diet. The rest is made as part of the overall sulfur metabolism. The methylation cycle is at the beginning of the sulfur metabolism, and it is fed by methionine from the diet. The methylation cycle feeds the transsulfuration pathway, which makes cysteine. Some of the cysteine goes into making taurine. So in that sense, the methylation cycle is indeed associated with taurine.

Best regards,

7. IanH

IanH Active Member

While this is a very old paper it is good reading. It recently became open access (rare on Elsevier).

Taurine is a major factor in mitochondrial calcium homeostasis and serves as a regulator of mitochondrial protein synthesis and enhances electron transport chain activity and protects the mitochondria against excessive superoxide generation.

Some more recent papers (sorry only abstract on the net):

Dysfunction of Taurine modification (ie its use as a base for other elements of protein synthesis and epigenetic function) is a cause of several mitochondrial diseases/myopathies.