Tax rebate even if you don't work

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Feb 16, 2008.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Well, here's another subject I know nothing about. However I was told that those of us who collect Soc Sec, etc., don't work anymore may be entitled to a tax rebate.

This site may give you some helpful info.

Good luck
  2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

This is worth checking into for my son......

Take care and Uff da!
  3. Callum

Callum New Member

The rebate for people who get SS is for those who's income with the social security is high enough to pay taxes on.

A rebate is a rebate, not a gift - it's refunding money paid. If no money has been paid in, no money will be refunded out.

It's like wanting a $100 mattress rebate - you only get the rebate if you actually bought the mattress.

I feel the frustration for those who are struggling to get by on what little they get from Social Security or Disability Insurance, and how much the $600 would help them. But the current administration would NEVER offer the money to those who are desperately in need because the are unable, through no fault of their own, to work. That would be considered a "hand out." (Definitely NOT my term).

4. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for this informative website!
  5. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

I suspect that the government is pulling a get people who haven't filed to reveal themselves. Sigh.

Why am I getting so cynical I wonder? Maybe because of things like government spending 140 billion dollars on a program that no one can agree what the results will be. May as well get what we can I suppose.

Guess that one psych study found a big difference in what people did with "found" money depending on what it was called. An "earned rebate", a "refund", a "bonus", a "lucky surprise".......the name made a huge difference in what people did with money.

I think of it as more borrowed money. Someone described the rebate as giving another drink to a drunk.
    Sigh. Wish economists really knew what they were doing, besides politics.

Oh, I figure the Japanese (or Lex Luthor) are really buying super computers to predict economy, not to figure weather patterns like they say:)

[This Message was Edited on 02/18/2008]
  6. Doober

Doober New Member

You may be right. It could be a sting.

But, I think this is just something that G. Bush is doing to help the republican party during the elections.

Also, know that he is a "Lame Duck" it is easy for him to do this as he will not have to deal with the fallout next year.

To be quite honest, this is not what I would have done with 150 Billion dollars. This is 3 billion dollars that could have been given to each state to help with school systems and other public safety fundings that each city and town are dealing with.

This money is just going to be spent and companies like "Wal-mart" are going to be the biggest beneficiaries of this.

So do we give everyone money to just make big businesses bigger???

Is this the solution to helping our economy? No, it is just a short patch since next years numbers will be lower because the jump in the numbers this year.

Don't get me wrong, it is nice to get the money, but once that is over, we are still stuck with our communities and states financial burdens which would have gotten some help? I realize that the states will get tax revenue for people spending the money, but it is just a small percentage.
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

My CPA confirmed that I and other retirees will be getting $300. I doubt that you want my opinion about this give-away of our own money but it's like getting a tax rebate. It's exciting until you realize it was your money to begin with.

8. Doober

Doober New Member

The term "Tax Rebate" needs to be thrown out the window.

This is not really a tax rebate. This is an economic stimulus package. Designed to get the economy flowing by putting money into the hands of the consumers. Trying to stop the possibility of another recession from happening.

Tax rebate to me means getting money back from taxes that you have paid.
  9. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

we are ALREADY in a recession. With the price of gasoline and food, I've lived long enough to know we are in a recession. My family is having a very hard time feeding their children. And other than going to work and the grocery store, they stay home due to gas prices. Something is terribly wrong. Tell me we aren't in a recession. I'm scared! doloresf1
    [This Message was Edited on 02/19/2008]
  10. mrdad

mrdad New Member

---on another Post, that was the answer to 9/11 as seems to

be the answer to any of our Country's problems. Spend, spend

and more spending! Didn't the 1/2 trillion $$$ that we just

spent, spent, spent on Christmas junk stimulate the economy

enough? I think a re-working of our priorities as a Nation

are in order. "What think yee?"