Taxes Are Done...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

TADA! I finally sat down and did them on Turbo Tax. It's sooooo easy, I don't know why I put it off. What a load off my mind. I use the free version and it works just fine. I itemize and, this year, I had a bunch of mutual funds I had cashed in. It was so easy to input. I was afraid I might have to pay but I ended up with a refund. Better yet!

I just replaced my water heater and it looks as though the dishwasher needs to be replaced as well. There goes the refund, and then some :)

Now that the season is winding down here in SW FL, I'm hoping I'll have more time off to spend at the pool and getting some things done around the condo. It's a mess and so is my car.

But, I digress...I wanted to let y'all know how well Turbo Tax has worked for me for two years. Try it if y'all haven't already.

Love, Mikie
  2. jole

jole Member

Wow, it sounds like you're getting your refund just in time! lol It's good to see you on the board and know you're okay.

I wish we could use Turbo Tax, but being farmers the tax thing is just soo complicated. Everything has to be itemized so closely, plus all the depreciation, etc. Crops, cattle, etc just are too hard to do alone.

My son always does his own taxes, and I believe that is what he uses. Has never had any problems. Yes, it's always such a relief to get it out of the way and go on with life, isn't it.

Good to hear from you, and take care***Jole***
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yeah, Turbo Tax isn't for everyone. When my ex and I had rental property, we used a CPA to do ours.

The hot water heater is in and working. Think I'll go to Lowe's tomorrow. They have a nice Whirlpool dishwasher on sale and it isn't too expensive. I'm happy to see so many of my neighbors planning on staying and remodeling, or updating, their units. The pool and grounds are kept updated too. Our buildings are about 16 years old but are identical to the new ones being built. We have such a great location that I think we will come out of this slump in good condition. Sales are finally booming in SW FL as the prices have dropped to an attractive level. Of course, we have a few foreclosures here but it's not too bad. But, again, I digress...

Good talking to you too.

Love, Mikie
  4. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Congratulations on finishing your taxes. Hopefully you will be receiving a refund, a BIG one.

Turbo Tax is great. Very easy and I don't have to leave the house to go to a Tax place.

I also finished ours yesterday, I just need to e-file them. I am in no rush even though we are getting a refund, because the GREAT state of California is giving out IOUs! Yes you read that right, I O Us.
    Can you believe that. We have some of the highest taxes, some of the wealthiest Americans and many natural resources but we can't give our taxpaying citizens back their OWN money.
    Sorry had to rant!
    Trying to keep my sense of humor,
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That would be funny if it weren't so scary. When I was growing up, CA was really wealthy. If one lived there a year, he or she could go to college without tuition. It was the land of golden opportunity. I still think CA is a beautiful place. It's where I first saw the ocean. When we lived in CO, we would take the kids to Disneyland late winter/early spring or just as school let out.

FL has been a relatively cheap place to live until the economy went to hell. It still is relatively cheap for me as I'm homesteaded and my taxes are about 1/3 of what my Snowbird neighbors pay. I've lived here for 12 years, so I have equity in my condo, even though the prices have fallen so much. We have no state income tax because of the high tourism taxes. We really need to attract other industries to the state, though.

All in all, I count my blessings.

I hope the state comes through on your IOU. Good luck.

Love, Mikie