Taxes on SSDI

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by justmestephd, Mar 24, 2009.

  1. justmestephd

    justmestephd New Member

    Does anyone know if you are taxed on your SSDI back pay and monthly checks? They don't take it out so I was wondering if I need to prepair for next years taxes.

  2. 3gs

    3gs New Member

    if you make under a certain amount you dont have to pay taxes. i never have since filing 14yrs ago . did apply for stimulas money.
    call h r block or ssdi they can tell u for sure
  3. AuntTammie

    AuntTammie New Member

    it's something like 25,000 that you have to make before they take anything, but I am not positive....they send you something at tax time to help you figure it out, but I know I have never been even close to the amt, so i haven't paid that much attention.....if you do make more and want to be able to put money aside to pay taxes, though, 3gs suggestion to call ssdi or hr block is good....also, that amt is including ssdi and any other sources of income (if you have any)
  4. Bxteacher

    Bxteacher Member

    When I got my 1st SSDI check I was not sure of tax issue either so I called my accountant. In my case the answer was yes & I had to complete a form I got at the local SS offfice. As your accountant knows your financial status that might be the person to ask.
  5. justmestephd

    justmestephd New Member

    Ok I guess I will have to find out. Does anyone know if that counts if you are married filing jointly would his income count as well as mine as going over 25K. That would really stink
  6. pitoune

    pitoune New Member

    Here in Canada, if you're married, it goes against you but here you can apply for a Dissability Tax Credit which I did and got it so I don't pay taxes at all. My hubby also get 10k taken off his yearly income for taking care of a dissable person at home. Every bit helps. I don't know if you do have a Tax Credit for the dissable in the US but it's something you can probably look into cause even when I was making only $9,000 a year, I was being taxed on it because of my hubby's income. It doesn't cost much to call and find out. Good luck.


[ advertisement ]