Teach-6....dysautonomia from Debgene56

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Debgene56, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Debgene56

Debgene56 New Member

Hi, I looked at some of the sites. Could not comprehend what I need to see. Still not feeling well. Could you please tell me what you know about it? Thank You, I need to go to bed. Hugs, Deb
  2. teach6

teach6 New Member

I got the following information from the National Dysautonomia Research Foundation's website. I hope you find it helpful. If you notice the list of symptoms you will see that many of your symptoms after your shower are listed.

Barbara

What is Dysautonomia? Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS) , Neurocardiogenic Syncope, Mitral Valve Prolapse Dysautonomia, Pure Autonomic Failure, Multiple System Atrophy (Shy-Drager Syndrome) are some of the many disorders that involve a dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system, or Dysautonomia.

Our bodies have a complex task of maintaining a stable internal environment and respond appropriately to changes that take place in the external surroundings. This complex task is directed by the Autonomic Nervous System.

The autonomic nervous system manages most of our bodily systems, including the cardiovascular system, gastrointestinal, urinary and bowel functions, temperature regulation, reproduction and our metabolic and endocrine systems. Additionally, this system is responsible for our reaction to stress - the flight or fight response.

When our autonomic nervous system malfunctions, it is known as Dysautonomia. Other terminology that is used includes - Autonomic Dysfunction, Autonomic Failure and Autonomic Neuropathy.
    For those afflicted with Dysautonomia, there is a range of symptoms that can vary. The prognosis may be one that calls for an abatement of symptoms, or an adjustment to living with a chronic impairment. The following statement, by Dr. David H.P. Streeten, provides an excellent summation of the impact of Dysautonomia:

While we are not constantly aware of the activity of the autonomic nervous system as we are of unusual sensory and motor events, the normal functioning of the autonomic nervous system day and night, from heart-beat to heart-beat, plays a largely unconscious but vital role in our livelihood. It is not surprising, therefore, that autonomic abnormalities, though they are usually more difficult to recognize than a severe pain, a sensory loss or paralysis of a limb, may be even more important in impairing the quality and even jeopardizing the continuation of life.

It is estimated that over 500,000 Americans are afflicted with Orthostatic Intolerance. Despite the enormity of the number, these conditions are among the least understood of the autonomic disorders.

Affecting predominately younger individuals, often in those under the age of thirty-five, these syndromes affect more women than men. The onset can be sudden, and the impact can be significant on both lifestyle and on the capacity to work.

Often, these conditions tend to be misdiagnosed as either a psychiatric or anxiety - related disorders, due to the nature of the symptoms.

Standing upright results in a series of reflexive bodily responses, regulated by the Autonomic Nervous System, to compensate for the effect of gravity upon the distribution of blood. These conditions are a result of an inappropriate response to this change in body position.

The normal response for a change in body position, results in a stabilization to the upright position in approximately sixty seconds. During this process, the normal change in heart rate would include an increase in heart rate of 10 to 15 beats per minute, and an increase in diastolic pressure of 10 mm Hg, with only a slight change in systolic pressure.

For those who are afflicted with Orthostatic Intolerance, there is an excessive increase in heart rate upon standing, resulting in the cardiovascular system working harder to maintain blood pressure and blood flow to the brain.

Upright posture also brings about a neurohumoral response, involving a change in the levels of vasopressin, renin, angiotensin and aldosterone levels - all of which are involved in the regulation of blood pressure.
    Additionally, arterial baroreceptors, particularly those in the carotid sinus area, play an important role in the regulation of blood pressure and the response to positional changes. As the heart pumps blood to the body, the left atrium is passively filled with blood as a result of the force exerted by venous blood pressure. The baroreceptors in the left atrium respond, proportionately, to the pressure exerted by this venous blood pressure. Thus, a drop in venous blood pressure will trigger a compensatory response to increase blood pressure.

Any disruption in any of these processes, or their coordination, can result in an inappropriate response to an upright position, and can lead to a series of symptoms, and may include syncope.

Symptoms
    The symptoms for these conditions may include the following:
    Excessive fatigue
    Exercise intolerance
    Recurring syncope (fainting) or near syncope
    Dizziness
    Nausea
    Tachycardia
    Palpitations
    Visual disturbances i.e. blurred vision, tunnel vision, graying out
    Tremulusness
    Weakness, most noticeable in the legs
    Chest discomfort
    Shortness of breath
    Mood swings
    Migraines and other headaches
    Gastrointestinal problems

3. Debgene56

Debgene56 New Member

Thank you so much for giving this info. It is the next morning. I am woozy at times when I stand, and I still feel like crap. I have been woozy or lightheaded many times when getting up in the past. My legs have recently gotten a pressure feeling in them half way dow the thigh to the knee when I am standing. I got my period last night. Not helping. Thanks again. Deb
  4. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I know...I live with this everyday and it is not fun. My life has changed so much and the thought of going outside taking a walk scares me to death cause ya never know when the ole nervous system is going to kick in and then I'll find myself setting down in someones yard or setting down in the aisle of a store. I take a beta blocker, eat 5 grams salt a day, and have to wear compression hose from the time I get up til I go to bed. Winter time is great cause they keep ya warm but I know this summer is going to be unbearable. If you dont have this..consider yourself very lucky. If you have any of the signs, get it checked out right away before it causes more damage like mine did and I have neuropathy now.
    Carlacat
  5. teach6

teach6 New Member

For Lease.

Barbara
  6. Debgene56

Debgene56 New Member

Thanks for following thru with the er post. If you can feel flulike with this, then maybe I could have this. I have felt like I have the flu for a long time, but never this bad. Just printed the above info to share with np. I will let you know thatks again. Love, Deb
  7. teach6

teach6 New Member

For Gumama.

Barbara