Teen dies from taking dad's methadone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lurkernomore, Feb 22, 2006.

  1. lurkernomore

    lurkernomore New Member

    This was on the news last night and it just doesn't seem to be telling the whole story. I hope we have a pharmacist *on board* who could help me make sense of this. But I welcome all input.

    So the news story goes that this young male, age 17, showed up at a party (with other teens who were illegally & underaged drinking) and he boasts that he had just eaten a 40 mg. wafer of methadone belonging to his father.

    I am thinking the other teens did not think it would be life threatening and according to the news, they just put him to bed and went on with their partying.

    The next morning, the *friends* found the teen where they had put him, to bed, and he was dead. Now...I am wondering if it really was a lethal dose of methadone or perhaps he had taken alcohol on top of it, or even mixed other drugs with it.

    I just feel there is something not being told here. One 40 mg. wafer of methadone is what the news reporters are calling an overdose. Now I am sure there is a chance that the teen may have had an allergic reaction to the drug, that is always possible. But without an autopsy (which I have not heard may be taking place) something about this just does not sound right to me.

    So is there anyone here who could help me figure this out? Is it possible that a 17 year old taking one 40 mg. of methadone would kill him? Thanks in advance for anyone willing to shed a little light on this for me.

    And another question I have is how many of us with children keep their meds in a lock box? I have sons in their twenties and still, I keep all meds locked up. I trust them, and still, I feel that it is my moral obligation and responsibility to do so.
  2. ritatheresa

    ritatheresa New Member

    For someone who has never taken the drug, on top of the alcohol (which is also a CNS depressant) he probably died from respiratory failure. How awful.

    My daughter is 10, I don't have any narcotics but I do keep my meds in a safe place, not locked up, (which I probably need to rethink).

    What a shame for all of the family, it does make you step back and think.

    Take care, Ritatheresa
  3. lurkernomore

    lurkernomore New Member

    According to news reports, nothing was said about the teen drinking, only that he had taken the methadone. Whether he had been drinking as well is what I am wondering.

    I'm thinking that methadone alone was not all the teen had ingested. But I have no idea, that is why I posted about it, to get other folk's opinion. And thank you for yours, by the way. I know nothing about methadone so 40 mgs. of that alone may very well have been lethal for the teen. It is so tragic for the family and I feel sure the dad must be feeling horrible about it all.
  4. mnweb6

    mnweb6 New Member

    I feel really stupid right now!!! Why has it never crossed my mind to keep my meds locked up??? I have an 11 and 13 year old. Never crossed my mind!!! Guess I need to go and get a locked box!!! Thank you for bringing this to my attention!!

    Not sure about the methadone thing...I live in Colorado, and CU Boulder is just 20 min away...Alway's hearing about kids OD'ing on drinking and drugs...same at CSU!! It is a very sad thing...They have no idea that they could be throwing away their life on what they consider an innocent night of partying!!!
  5. mylilcherub428

    mylilcherub428 New Member

    died from methadone his father had given him. But he was also drinking and smoking stuff.so i think it is safe to assume other stuff was involved
  6. krayon

    krayon New Member

    I do not know the answer to your question, but I had been

    put on methadone after my pain had got so bad that I was up

    to taking 4000 mg of vicodine a day....(bad flare)

    I took one 5 mg twice a day of methadone.

    Had a friend come to me concerned about the methadone

    because his father had died because he had aparently took

    2 doses.(but I don't know what his dose was)(heart failure)

    Methadone can mess with someones heart.

    That is what I feared when I was put on it.
    Maybe this might help understand the

    dose thing.

    ~ *karen* ~

    PS. I no longer take the metadone. It did nothin for me.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/22/2006]
  7. JLH

    JLH New Member

    This is so extremely sad.

    This just confirms why all persons who take medication, especially narcotics, should keep them in a place, even a lock box, where they are unaccessable to children of all ages as well as visiting children. This may also include family members with drug problems.

    We also need to think about our pets. I say this because my own mother just about lost her dog because of how she stores her meds.

    She is elderly and is a widow living alone, with just her dog. She puts her pill out in one of those plastic weekly dividers with little flip tops on each day of the week. Her dog is just now tall enough to stand on his hind legs and reach the edge of his front paws on the table.

    She was in the bathroom showering and her pill container must have been setting on a napkin or something (she can't remember) and the dog was able to get his paw on the napkin and pull it off the table along with the pill container.

    When the pill container hit the floor, the lids popped open and the pills spilled on the floor. Yes, you guessed it -- unfortunately, the dog ate all the pills. There were heart pills, water pills, blood pressure, chlorestrol pills, and more.

    The pill container got pushed under her range by the dog and she never noticed it until bedtime when she went to bed and could not find it. She also noticed at that time that the dog had been just "taking a nap" all evening.

    The dog is OK now, thank goodness, but he was in "almost close to death" for three days.

    So, for your families, friends, neighbors, and pets who frequent your homes, please keep your medications in a safe place.

    Love,
    Janet

    P.S. My sincere condolences to the family who lost their child. I can not think of anything more devestating.
  8. leubie

    leubie New Member

    WHAT A HORRIBLE STORY--AFEEL SO BAD FOR ALL INVOLVED. I TAKE METHADONE FOR PAIN. I DONT FEEL THAT 40MG WILL KILL ME--BUT I AM 42 . I ALSO FEEL THAT THE BOY PROBABLT TOOK MORE--OF THE PILL OR SPMETHING.BUT THE WAFERS DISSOLVE VERY QUICKLY WITH LIQUID--I THINK THEY ARE FOR MAINTENCE OF WITHDAWAL-SO MAYBE....IM NOT SURE....IT JUST MAKES ME SICK. I KEEP ALL MY MEDS W/ ME IN PURSE--LETS ALL PRAY FOR THAT FAMILY.....LOVE TO ALL-LAURA
  9. jake123

    jake123 New Member

    The drugs of choice for teenagers today are not cocaine or heroin, they are prescription drugs. Alot of kids get them by stealing from their parents and parents of their friends.
  10. lurkernomore

    lurkernomore New Member

    I had not given any thought to the possibility that the teen may have had a bad heart or other health problems.

    This just hit me so hard, as many years ago I had a cousin to die from huffing paint. He got into distress, but because the friends he was partying with either were too messed up or feared for their part in it, they did just as the kids at this party-put my cousin to bed and that is where he died.

    I still don't know, but I just have a feeling something is hinky here, in that the 40 mgs. of Methadone was all he had in his system. But I could very well be wrong.

    And yes, please, all who have children or family members who may have a drug problem, put them in a lock box! It is a bit more inconvenient, but better safe than sorry. And another thing, be very careful about telling people that you take any controlled substances whatsoever. We had an eighty year old woman in this state found murdered because her grandson was after her morphine! So just be careful and choosy about who knows what you take.
  11. FMhurts

    FMhurts New Member

    My cousins Dr. has recently prescibed Methodone for her to take for FM pain. She has been taking Vicodin for years, now this. She is in a real fog now.
    I read up on it, and it is precribed for pain, but I don't think I will try it.Its very addictive, and dangerous.