Teen Fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by moopsie, May 18, 2006.

1. moopsie

moopsie New Member

My 13 year old daughter was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Need some advice to help her feel better.

Thanks
  2. Bet2

Bet2 New Member

You might start off with a diet change. Teens tend to eat everything under the sun and if she has fibro that won't be good for her.

In the search engine here type the word "diet" and you will find a wealth of information.

Also magnesium; you might type that one as well.

Start doing research by buying books and this board is a wealth of information, about products, diets, excercise and just about anything that you can think of.

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter.

Good luck hon.

Bet2
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

helps me w/sleep, muscle spasms and pain...

the shake by stormeyskye...

but i found it increased my appetite so i quit the shake for me..it helps with increasing the seratonins...

maybe i just need to half the dosage for me...it is all natural....

hi protein diet...

jodie
  4. kriket

kriket New Member

One of the main things you can do to make her feel better is to support her. Try not to get upset with her b/c she has this illness. There are so many that have family members that do not believe they are really ill and are just not very supportive.

Looks like you are trying to do what you can, just by putting your post here, wanting to know what you can do to make her feel better.

Epsom salts bath with water as hot as she can stand it for at least 20min. sometimes will ease the pain. Hope the doctor gave her some med. to help with her pain. Anyway, when all else fails, just be there for her. Glad you found us here.

Kriket
  5. moopsie

moopsie New Member

Thanks for the responses. Our rheumy told us that his diagnosis is fibro, gave us a brochure to read, gave her Lyrica to take at bedtime and said come back in 3 weeks.

I have RA and originally that's what the rheumy thought she had too. But after a bone scan came back normal he changed it to fibro. I am trying to keep her moving by using the pool at the Y and taking walks. She's now sleeping with the heating pad on her back. She's been miserable since December and the meds work for a short while but then stop. I will try some of your suggestions. Thanks again.

Regina
  6. connieaag

connieaag New Member

I also have a daughter who was diagnosed right before she turned 12, so we have been dealing with this for about 2 years now. We are just now getting her into a psychologist to deal with the frustrations of life going on around her and hers coming to a halt, or pretty much a drastic change.

I am in Indiana. We are currently going through setting up an education plan, so I would love to help you in anyway we can. I have learned so much in the last 2 years.
    Connie
    [This Message was Edited on 05/23/2006]
  7. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I use a heated blanket at times ,I like it better then a heating pad.You can also get something "buddies"(Google that name) that are filled with different things like rice you warm them in the microwave and put them where you hurt.They are cute usually a animal of some kind.They are great for when someone has period cramps.They also lay on different spots closer then a heating pad can get. like on a shoulder and it will stay there.
    Some of us have hormonal problems and I am of the belief that can be another problem from FM .You might watch for any increased pain during her periods.Let your Doc know if there seems to be a connection for her.
    Other then that we all just pretty much tell each other things that we try that help.We post new information about Fibro/CFS and products that help us personally.Just understand that what helps someone else may or may not help her .We are all different and hurt in different ways.
    google-(Beddy-bear buddies) www.tesora.com.au
    they have some on that site
    [This Message was Edited on 05/19/2006]