Teens and PE what to do

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HollyannC, Apr 19, 2007.

1. HollyannC

HollyannC New Member

Hi,
    I have another question. My 14 year old son feels worse after PE. But he loves playing ultimate frisbee, etc. Otherwise he is an "indoor boy" preferring to read or play computer/nintendo games.

We hate to curtail his activities, but he does seem to be worse after PE (he currently has it 2 days a week). Plus occassionally he has to run the mile or other strenuous activities.

What do other teens do? We'd hate for him to be left out or "different" from the group, but I hate for PE to bring on more FM symptoms.

Thanks for any advice,
    Holly
  2. HollyannC

HollyannC New Member

Thanks for your suggestions. He is going to a small private school so there is just one PE class. My son will be in 9th grade next year and PE is a requirement for graduation in Arizona.

But I like your idea of helping the teacher. If not computers, maybe he can help the coach during strenuous things, hopefully the kids won't think he's playing favorites. It is hard for me as an adult with knowledge about FM to understand how bad he can feel sometimes. I'm afraid the coaches and kids won't understand. It's easier for many people to think he is faking it since they can't see something tangible.

Fortunately his school is very nice and accepting so hopefully they'll be happy to accommodate him when necessary.

Thanks for your idea and talking to the teacher without him present is good too. It is a blow to his ego to have this.

Holly

3. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

If he hasn't told everyone yet you might help him come up with a simple, one sentence explanation that people can relate to -- at least more than "fibromyalgia". Something like "I have fibromyalgia -- it's like a kind of arthritis" or "it's a joint and muscle condition (maybe rather than illness)and sometimes I can't exercise." Period. The instructors will of course know more but that
    will likely satisfy the throngs.

Good luck. I feel for you. I always tried to remind myself that every child feels "diferent" about whatever their cross to bear is. I reminded myself but it was scant consolation to my heart when I was raising my daughter who, to let you know what a softy I am, really had no special issues -- well minor ones is all.

Good luck to you and to your son.
  4. HollyannC

HollyannC New Member

What an EXCELLENT suggestion. I just ran it past my son and he thinks it's a good idea too. Sadly arthritis seems a more "credible" disease.

I'm glad I found this board - it's a great comfort to talk with other people about this.

Holly
  5. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I was in my last year of PE class when the fibro started getting really bad. They refused to adapt my PE class but the teacher said if I ever felt really bad to tell him.

It didn't apply much anyway since I was gone 45 days of that semester, lol.

See if you can get it adapted for him. My gym class I kind of understand why they didn't, because it was "team" sports so basically those who were athletic had 1.5 hours of doing things and those who weren't...well...we didn't.
  6. tjsmom

tjsmom New Member

Hi Holly,
    Kim here - TJ's mom - TJ is almost 13 and was finally dx in Feb. with CFIDS - we requested and recieved a note from his immunologist asking that TJ not participate in any strenuous excercise - for a while, his PE teacher was wanting TJ to "make-up" missed PE with an hour of documented activity for each missed class (5Xweek)!!! After explaining his illness to her, she became one of his biggest advocates! I have heard of some kids doing writing/research assignments about a sport or the body in place of physical excercise in PE...TJ is now on a reduced schedule, so PE is no longer an issue. He is learning to gage how much energy an activity will recquire, and if the "cost" is worth the activity - we let him decide, as we want him to feel as "normal" as possible -gawd, I hate that word -"normal", but to teens, it's all about that. If your boy could maybe instruct a class for a quarter on ultimate frisbee - how cool would that be?
    Best wishes to you both.
    Kim
  7. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

I have both FM and CFS, but when I first got sick, I missed the entire year of school. I couldn't even get out of the house.

I went back this year, and found that with a full day schedule of school, there was absolutely no way I could take wellness/PE along with the exhaustion that simply BEING in school brings about.

The school had been working with me ever since I got sick, and they waived the need for wellness.

I know you're not looking for a "it's useless" suggestion; I just know that with me, even though I would've liked to take wellness just so I COULD feel like I got through school like every normal person is doing, I realized that I needed to pay attention to my body first.

Firstly, though, I chose, against doctor's orders, to do full seven hour days so I can graduate on time. If I wasn't doing full days, maybe I could tolerate the wellness/PE classes, but as it is, I can't.

I've heard about people getting accomodations for gym, though, if you'd rather do that than get him out of the class completely. By doctor's orders, there are certain things you can waive, like heavy running, or whatever hurts him the most.

I don't know a whole lot about PE modifications, because I haven't ever had to deal with it, but if staying in the class is what he wants, you should look into it, instead of making himself sick by doing too much.

I'm not sure if you have to have a 504 status to get PE modifications, though. If you do, those take time, depending on your school's cooperation.