Teeth Problems??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TinaJones, Feb 1, 2007.

1. TinaJones

TinaJones New Member

Hey everybody...I've got a question regarding dental problems, being sick and medications.

I've always had very, very good teeth. Had sealants put on when I was about 10. Never had a cavity until age 17 - and, since then (I'm 33), have only had two cavities.

In the last year - my teeth have gone downhill BIG time. I have about four cavities that have come on and gotten HUGE quickly. My dentist says one tooth needs to be yanked and a tooth implant put in. I do NOT have time for all of this with all of my health issues YET I'm afraid I'm going to lose all of my teeth if I don't attack this.

I'm just curious as to what made this come on all of the sudden. I'm thinking it could be all the meds I'm on? Or is it just part of this illness? Has anyone else had their teeth go downhill - specifically since being ill?

Thanks for any input! --Tina
  2. kmoss55

kmoss55 New Member

Do you have problems with dry mouth? If so, this could be your problem.

kathy
  3. ravenpaige

ravenpaige New Member

Tina,

I won't say I have the greatest teeth, but a few years after getting FS, I started having big problems with my teeth. One tooth just suddenly "died" for now reason. They couldn't find a crack or cavity or anything, but suddenly I needed a root canal. In fact, it was such a weird situation that my dentist insisted it must be a sinus infection, and I went back and forth on that for a few months, until I ended up in the ER with bacterial meningitis.

Since then, my dentist doesa test every 6 mos to see how much my gums have receeded. For a while they were really bad, then I changed my diet to low carb, and they got better. Then I went off my diet to try to test various items and they got worse again. It's not just the tests, but my teeth also hurt terribly at times. After a few times of this, I realized my diet was affecting my teeth (how weird), so I've stayed on my diet since then with no recurring teeth problems.

I can't figure it out, but I hope maybe this helps you some.

Terri
  4. TinaJones

TinaJones New Member

Terri - Thanks for the response...you have an interesting story, too. What's weird? Several years back, I got my bottom wisdom teeth pulled - and got meningitis (I had viral, though). Boy, that was a nightmare. You don't know what a headache (or "neck-ache") is until you've had meningitis, huh?

Kathy (kmoss55) - thanks for the response, too. My mouth is a bit dry (probably from the meds) but not overly dry. But it is a thought.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!! --Tina
  5. lease79

lease79 New Member

I am 27 now, but by 24 I had to have all my top & a large portion of my bottom teeth removed.

I had good teeth as a child, but on developing CFIDS & FMS in my pre-teens, by late teens they were terrible.

At 24 there was nothing they could do to save them. They had literally crumbled away. My baby boy at the time back headbutted me. Not hard, but it broke one of my front teeth clean in 1/2.

I now have a full upper denture & will soon have a partial lower.
  6. EmberFae

EmberFae New Member

I always had perfect teeth. No cavities till after my daughter was born. (giving birth to her was my trigger for F.M.S or the abnormal & prolonged labor may have caused it.)I got really bad cavties so fast denist couldn't keep up. So I'm 30 now and my teeth are fake.Got dentures at 27.
    you know now that i think about it Fibro might have alot to do with this. The dentist keep telling me how clean my teeth always have been, that they should be healthly.
  7. nicesty962

nicesty962 New Member

My teeth have become very yellow and thin, almost transparent. Then I noticed that on the inside of some of my upper teeth started getting black, GROSS! I thought it was something that could be brushed away. When I realized it was only getting worse and seemed to be spreding, went to the dentist. He said that I have alot of acid in my system and thats whats eating up my teeth. Had to have a couple of root canals and some fillings. During one of those visits, a persons worst dental nightmare happened - while he was drilling the drill slipped slicing the inside of my upper lip. While holding pressure on it to stop the bleeding, he has the nerve to say, "It's not that bad"! It felt like he had given me a cleffed lip. That was about 6 months ago. 2 months ago 2 of those fillings fell out a week apart. They just fell out. Both of them the same way. I just felt something drop on my tongue. Because of my dental experience, haven't went back yet, but since I can't take the pain anymore, I'm going tommarrow.
    Like you, I once had pretty teeth. Now I'm afraid they're all gonna start falling out.
  8. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

my dentist told me that a lot of the medications prescribed for fibro can cause dry mouth and that can cause teeth problems if you don't keep your mouth hydrated.

also he is making me come into the office every 6 mos. instead of once a year.
  9. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I've been a teeth grinder during sleep all my life. For the past 20 years I've worn various night gurads to keep from cracking my molars in my sleep.

Unfortunately, with the onset of these DD, suddenly I have this huge gap in my two front upper teeth that I never had before! Even the hard night guard was not able to stop the force involved in my violent teeth grinding (I grind side to side and front to back).

So now I am very self conscious of my tooth gap when I smile! The choices I face are braces at the age of almost 57 or grinding down all my front teeth and putting on verneers (I think that's what they're called). Neither choice is cheap! I guess I'll just have to grin and bear it (sorry about the pun).
    Mini
  10. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

The acid explanation makes sense to me since I haven't been on any meds until the last year and my teeth went downhills before that. They started to do it as I developed FM after having my first son. I have high acid almost every time my CBC and urin is checked.
  11. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I've heard of this happening to pregnant women. I take tons of meds too but I also drink tons of water. I'd try calcium and tons of water. I'm sorry you are having these problems. Teeth problems are the worst.
  12. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

Hi Tina~~

I just wrote you under my post about depression and meds, but I'll respond to this one too seeing we both are having the same problems with teeth!!

I'm sooo sorry you too are having this problem, especially now with all the other situations going on with you and your upcoming implant surgery.

My teeth have literally started to fall to pieces also. They claim there are alot of connections to fibromyalgia and dental problems. Whether it be dry mouth or the medicatons were on.

My boss, who is a psychiatrist, says alot of the newer anti-seizures meds on the market are one of the causes for alot of dental problems. One of them being Cymbalta, I'm not sure why, but something about the chemicals in the drugs and how our bodies react to them, along with loss of fluids needed to maintain our gums and mouth. Something also about the immune system and certain substances we loose with alot of medications.

I'll have to ask him about it more, so I make sure I have it right, so I don't send anyone in the wrong direction. Maybe everyone should start to ask their Dr's what they think about these anti- seizure meds alot of us take. I don't know for sure!!

Wow, it sure is strange that now we both need the same thing done on our teeth though. Which is a shame and alot of money to say the least!! And MORE pain involved, which neither one of us needs anymore of!!!

I hope this helped a little, and it seems alot of us are having the same problems, so there must be a connection somewhere, just where, I'm not sure!!

My prayers are with you my friend~~
    Gentle hugs,
    Shelby
  13. jeduanboneis

jeduanboneis New Member

Just last week I went to the dentist because of pain that I have been experiencing lately. It used to be that I could endure it but it has gotten too bad to handle.

He said that the acid from digestive problems will cause the decay.(IBS from CFS/FMS?) He also said the side effects of the antidepressents will cause the mouth to be dry and not produce enough saliva to wash away the plaque. He said even though the meds work, they have these side effects.

So two teeth need to be extracted and replaced by a bridge and another needs a root canal. I need a deep cleaning every 3 months. He said that I need to be aggressive and that brushing your teeth 3 times a day just won't work. I need to floss always first because just the smallest amount of plaque left in the mouth will cause decay. And then to rinse with some mouthwash, maybe ACT. And to clean up my diet. Aha !!!!!!

And then he wanted to know why my lymph glands in my neck were swollen. I told him about having CFS (hesitantly) for 23 years and he just patted my neck and said that I had an abscess in an upper tooth that apparently has been there for some time and has closed itself (the infection) into a lesion in the gum??? He gave me antibiotics to clean up the mouth and the pain started to go away. Except that from taking the antibiotics I have gotten a major cold and am trying to eat as much yogurt as I can.

So it leads me to believe that we endure more than we realize. We are sick with the CFS and have other things going on in our systems that we don't know about because of the covering of the disease. I believe the mycoplasmas and the bacterial infections of CFS causes the tooth deterioration that we experience beside the meds. The dentist said that the viruses from the CFS won't have any effect on the mouth decay.

So we are left with the ravages of this DD besides what the DD is doing in a primary fashion.

And life goes on .......

Love you all,
    Jeanne
  14. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

I used to go and NEVER have cavities and this past year had 11 fillings and a root canal and a crown. My teeth are deteriorating fast. I think it is because the ligaments and tendons are so inflamed that hold the teeth in.

Also, any dental work flares me bigtime.

TIM
  15. tandy

tandy New Member

It never use to be that bad, but now........
    I have tons of work to be done just to KEEP them.
    I'm thru half of all the work (Thank God)

Its been trying!! I hate the dentist but know I must do this just to save my teeth.
    The last time I went for my cleaning the hygenist found 8 cavities,and 2 teeth that need root canals!!
    like I said,.. I'm almost done but it took alot of visits to the dentist.
    I flare almost everytime afterwards too.
    I started using flouride rinses and toothpastes for dry mouth in an effort to prevent further damage.(hope it helps :)

I know alot of us with these DD have teeth problems.
    Best of luck with yours~
    Tandy
  16. TinaJones

TinaJones New Member

VERY interesting that we all have very similar stories...thanks for posting.

I wrote a long post and made several comments to many of you...but I lost it. I don't know what's going on with me right now! :) I've deleted several posts before sending them :(

Anyway, thanks again for all of the input. I think I just have to buckle down and accept that I'm going to add in "going to the dentist" to my other full-time job - "going to the doctor" :)

Blessings to you all -Tina