Television - what do you watch?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by isiselixir, Nov 2, 2009.

1. isiselixir

isiselixir New Member

I used to think (and still do really) that TV is toxic but having this illness means I have a lot of hours to fill... so I end up watching a lot of shows. This is just part of my life now. My life is very different than it used to be.

Anyways, I am curious what everyone likes. I know there's something out there that must be better than what I am watching, or as good as. Some of the shows I've been watching are Desperate Housewives, Heroes, Survivor, House, Grey's Anatomy, True Blood, old seasons of Angel and Buffy, and Californication. I admit my desperation has led me to watch Days of Our Lives too - LOL. What about you?
  2. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I don't watch too much tv--but it kind of depends how my body is doing though too

That 70's show
    Cooking shows
    Gilmore Girls

3. lynncats

lynncats New Member

two and a half men, dancing with the stars, ABC soaps (sometimeas), I just love the half hour shows, Imagine that, LOL. OH AND sUNDAY Football games.
  4. JimB51

JimB51 Member

The dog whisperer 700 club History channel O'reily Factor Nat geo cops Letterman

reruns ... Seinfeld Friends Andy Griffith
  5. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

I'm a Reality junkie.Survivor,Amazing Race,House Wives,America's Top Model,Flippin Out you get the pic.It's my guilty pleasure and DH is disappointed in me lol.It doesn't take many brain cells to watch.Other then GH soap I don't watch daytime TV I listen to the Jazz station all day.
  6. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

I only watch @ night.I regularly watch Bill O'Rielly,Food Network,TV Land(love some of the old shows I watched growing up),EWTN(Catholic programming),Dancing with the Stars(rooting for Donny Osmond!)and ocasionally old westerns!~~~Jeanne
  7. jole

jole Member

My hubby is such an old western buff....nearly all he watches! And I can only take about one show a week of that..........

So...he watches in one room, and I watch in another (awful, huh?). I like the home decorating shows just for fun (and when I can't concentrate), O'Reilly, some movies, occasionally a rodeo or Nascar with hubby, and anything medical. Not a sports fan at all.... although that's all my kids watch when they're home!

I too enjoy listening to music..inspirational, jazz, soft rock (60-70s), bluegrass, classical.
  8. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

--The Mentalist
    --The Soup
    --Sports Soup
    --South Park
    --Hells Kitchen (when it is on)
    --Family Guy

[This Message was Edited on 11/03/2009]
  9. spacee

spacee Member

I never really like tv until the last few years when I couldn't read.

I like the HGTV, the one where she finds them a place to rent and selling the unsellables.

I like Style..What not to Wear. My love before this DD was reading and sewing. I loved putting fabrics with patterns and making clothes or costumes. So, I think that does something for that part of me

We have a lot of the football, baseball, basketball, golf on the weekends. I can't follow much of it so may sleep or gather up some mags/catologues to look at during those.

Ok, then House, Lie to Me, Big Bang Theory (comes on same time as Lie to me), Survivor, Amazing Race and Idol when it is on. We watch Netflix movies too.

I should watch something inspirational. I used to and loved it but now I am sleeping in the am and don't "catch" them.

Did I mention QVC?? That is on muted a LOT!

Some that people are watching I have never heard of and sound interesting!
  10. Shirl

Shirl New Member

All Law&Order's

Criminal Minds

All CSI's

Cold Case Files

With Out a Trace

All True Crime Shows

Glen Beck
    Bill O'Reilly the Factor
    Everything on FoxNews!

One of my friends calls the shows I watch; 'The Blood and Guts' shows :).

Shalom, Shirl

11. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I never watched TV until I got sick, now it accounts for much of what I do... unfortunately.

Most of the time my TV is on Fox News. I DVR most evening/night shows and watch them during the day.

I watch CSI, CSI NY, Criminal Minds, Mentalist, Two and a half men, Survivor, Amazing Race, My favorites are Entourage and True Blood, The Tudors when in season and Big Bang Theory. For sports I Love Boxing.

Before I moved I watched some Christian TV, but in San Diego they are pay channels! I miss getting some of the Lord everyday!

12. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Criminal Minds

CSI Miami

Forensic's Files

First 48

NCIS and just started watching NCIS LA

I love House

I also like to watch "So you think you can dance"

Ghost Hunters

I also like Top Chef and The next Iron Chef....

I have a DVR which I love and record all of my fav's so I can watch them whenever I can.

13. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I also watch TBN, and we just got the Inspirational channel. They come with the Basic Premium here.

If there are any other Christian channels we do not get them :(...

I go from one extream to the other.

Shalom, Shirl
  14. victoria

victoria New Member

I am limited to what I can get... had to laugh at your watching TV in spanish, Georgia... I don't know if you can get it, but there's a program here called GEM (Gringo In Mexico) - an older American who speaks fluent spanish but with a total US accent - I figure if I can ever get to the point of totally understanding him, I'll have learned a lot, hehe - plus he goes to a lot of interesting places in Mexico and Central America.

I listen to people on TV (especially ads!) speaking english now with a different "ear", and wonder how anyone would understand them if they didn't learn when a small child!

I read somewhere that the accent english-voice-recognition programs had the worst time with, was with southern accents. I can believe that, as when I first moved south from Chicago, there were some I absolutely could not understand for about a year. I've had Mexicans tell me the same thing about Mexico, no surprise...

BUT, as usual, I digress...

I get to watch some interior design & craft shows, tho the ones produced here are much less sophisticated than the ones in the US - there are no Michael's here (I do miss that store, very hard/impossible to get supplies unless you go to one of the huge cities maybe), plus there's less disposable income of course, but the shows can be amazing just working with simple techniques:

Paint, Paper & Scissors (so far they've only run 1 season of it tho)
    De la Mano de Hermina
    Galeria de Los Artesenias
    Fantasy Homes by the Sea/in the City (BBC)

Travel programs on Discover in spanish, if only for the scenery and interesting interiors lol

Criminal Minds
    48 Hours with Bill Curtiss

Inspector Morse

The Simpsons (have never been able to watch it as we never paid for network TV on satellite in US)

Being Erica
    (I don't think this was ever broadcast in US, I tried to buy DVDs of it, & found it only ran 1 season on BBC)

Dead Like Me (have DVDs courtesy of my daughter)

My Name Is Earl

Watched all of Buffy courtesy of my daughter as well... interesting how the different seasons changed, I think I liked the 2nd or 3rd year better - was funnier/sarcastic

Unfortunately I've pretty much watched all of these series completely by now, after 16 months of hit or miss.... I did like the first 2 seasons of Desperate Housewives, (no apology!) - and plan on buying the DVDs as the reruns are only run in spanish.)

Also about 15-30 minutes of flipping int'l news stations off and on thru the day (CNN, Fox, Bloomberg) - all I can take, usually read what I want online as I can't take the belligerence often exhibited, tho Fox seems to have toned down a bit thankfully. I may agree often or not, just can't take the rudeness. That said, I often overhear a lot as my DH watches Fox.

cheers... (oh yeah, I ws a fan of that show too years ago!)
    y buenos dias!

[This Message was Edited on 11/08/2009]
  15. kjade

kjade New Member

I am a reality TV junkie, and proud of it! LOL!
    My favorite shows are American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, So you Think you can Dance, Survivor, The Biggest Loser....I have been watching all of those since they started. I love Supernanny too (she has GREAT advice!! And I feel a lot better about my own children when I see that show! ha). We watch America's Funniest Home Videos too - my kids LOVE that show.

As for dramas, the only shows I like are Desperate Housewives, and Brothers & Sisters.....I so look forward to Sunday nights for those shows. I also like Friday Night Lights, but I think they may have cancelled it again. :( Not sure, cause I haven't seen it advertised. I guess I can google it...

I am not really into comedies anymore - I don't think there are any good ones out there. I do love re-runs of Everybody Loves Raymond and Roseanne. I still laugh at every show, even though I have seen them all 100's of times.

I have to record all my shows on DVR though....And I watch them late at night after my kids have gone to bed usually. Some nights that is hard when DWTS is a 2 hr show, and i only have 1 hr to watch it.