tell me about SAM-e

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Anyone here use SAM-e?

What does it do, and what has been your experience with it?
  2. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

I think it is great stuff.

I use it as an anti-depressant. I take one 400 enteric coated tablet each morning. I have been the route of various anti-depressants over the last 10+ years. The last one, Luvox, I was physically addicted to and it took over 18 months to wean off it. I have been on SAMe for over a year now.

SAMe is more gentle on the liver than most anti-depressants, but it is not cheap. The enteric coated tablet is the best absorbed.

Less than a 400 dose does not seem to really help much.

The manufacturers also claim that it can help improve liver function and also help fm pain. However, the dose needed for this to become evident is quite high - and the tablets are not cheap. So I stay on the 400 and would recommend it as an anti-depressant. Also, there is not the worry of what to do if I miss a dose. No problem - just take one the next day. Also, I do not have to worry if I have already taken it. I can take a second tablet if I am unsure. Since I get confused a lot, this eliminates a lot of worry re. medication.

The manufacturers claim that, as it builds up in the system, you can reduce the dose if you feel better. There is no need for blood tests etc. to determine levels. You do not need a script for it either.

If you check it out on the web, by typing the name in, you will get lots of info. I am happy that my doc. recommended it.
  3. millennia

millennia New Member

I take two 400 mg tablets a day and they help a lot with pain. Too tired to post more.
  4. elsa

elsa New Member

Amino Acid .... Effects multi-functions in body. Tested and studied thoroughly .... over and over again. Very high safety record. Used in Germany as rx to treat depression.

These things have chance of improvement with sam-e treatment ... depression, fibromyalgia, liver disorders, migraine/tension headaches and osteoarthritis.

It works very similarly as SSRI's do without some of the more obnoxious side effects. In regards to fibro it is the serotonin effect that may improve sleep which in turn may improve pain. It works differently for arthritis pain.

It's biggest benefit for me was the fibro related headaches. I found that 5-HTP was a better route for me though. I stopped taking both a while back for two reasons ... serotonin can and will make you sleepy. It's the "tranquilizing" neuro .... also, I have great benefit from the rx tramadol with also effects serotonin as an aside ....

You always want to be careful with meds/supplements ... too much of one thing (like effecting serotonin) can lead to problems. In this case ... serotonin syndrome.

It's a good supplement .... will take a while before benefits are realized and has been tested extensively and considered safe. Works wonders for some, but not a magic bullet for all.

Take care,

Elsa
  5. darude

darude New Member

Does this help with Lyme? I read somewhere that it did.
  6. elsa

elsa New Member

I wish I knew. I am not near as educated in lyme disease as I am the others. "The Pill Book Guide to Natural Medicines" is one of my favorites and where I first learned more details about sam-e.

I don't recall much more then what I posted though .... I wish I had a better answer for you.

Elsa

[ advertisement ]