Tell me about your pets!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by satchya, Apr 10, 2009.

1. satchya

satchya New Member

We didn't have a pet until about a month ago. (I didn't want one until all my children were out of diapers and reliably sleeping through the night). My daughter who just turned 11 wanted a rat for her birthday. She did a lot of research to come up with that idea. It turns out that rats get sick and depressed and can die young if they don't have at least one other rat to live with (kind of makes me worry even more about those of you who are housebound and alone).

Anyway, long story short we ended up getting two pet rats from PetSmart. They are so much fun. One is my daughter's (snuffles), and one is mine (monkey). But they really "belong" to the whole family as we all help play with them, train them, and take care of them.

I find that the time I spend playing with my new rat baby is some of the calmest, happiest, most pain free time of the day. It is so much fun to laugh so hard my stomach hurts, or hear my kids laugh so hard (rats are quite curious and get themselves into the weirdest situations).

What kind of pet do you have? Does it help you with you pain and fatigue?
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

My grandkids had two pet rats(until daughter became allergic)I loved them! Who knew you could train them and they would come when called! They loved being held. One word of caution did u know they are always going to the bathroom? If you let them loose they can quickly make a nest and a mess!

I have 2 cats. They act more like dogs! Sadly it is becoming harder for me to take care of them(mostly litterbox)and am allergic but will not give them up. My daughter tried to give me thier gerbils(also fun).

I think my cats have helped. someone to talk too.
  3. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I love this topic! Between me and my boyfriend we have 4 dogs, 2 are his and 2 are mine. We had them before we started living together so we knew moving in together was going to be interesting but now that we are all here, I would have it no other way.

Mine are Damien (American Bulldog Mix) and Star (Great Dane Mix) and his are Sage and Jack Bauer (both Am Staffs). Thank goodness we found a big apartment to live in.

Damien (my first) is my knight in shinning armor. I had him through the worst of times and he saved me from feeling sorry for myself. I had to take care of him so I had to keep going even though I was practically bed ridden.

The dogs do help with the pain and fatigue, they help keep me going. Eventually they have to go outside and sometimes I have to take them, so I keep going day after day, no matter how I feel. I'll admit there are sometimes I really just can't do it but most of the days I just have to push myself harder.

4. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

My pets are one of the biggest parts of my life. We have a lot of people living in our house...there is me and my hubby, our 2 best friends and then 1 roommate. So between all of us we have 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 birds, 1 tortoise, 1 fish tank and 1 very large Koi pond. The time I spend with my animals is great! My dogs cuddle me and "take care" of me all the time. The one I have had the longest, Lily, will come up and lick my tears if I am crying. They follow me around everywhere and they nap and sleep with me so I always have company. I don't have as much contact with the cats as they are kept separate from the dogs but everytime I walk in their room they run over to me for scratches and act like I have never been away from them. Watching the fish tank is very calming and the Koi Pond (my hubby's new project) is nice in the summer. The birds are the most work and there are some days I feel my one Parrot does not get enough attention or his food on time or something because I am having a bad day but he is very laid back and just goes with the flow. He is in our living room so me and him talk back and forth from his cage to my couch and all of that. I also am in charge of taking care of the tortoise. I only have a few jobs in the house cause of my illnesses (one of them is all the online and paperwork) and taking care of the pets. Even on the bad days I love this job. I wouldn't trade my pets for anything! They bring so much to our lives! And I could talk about them forever lol. Everyone should have the unconditional love of a pet.
  5. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

We have two dalmatians . Lucky who is 9 and Brietta who is 6 . We adopted both
    of them at different times from the dalmatian rescue in our area.
    Lucky is my shadow and stays with me no matter what and especially when I'm not
    feeling good she knows and keeps a close eye on me.

Brietta has epilepsy and Lucky just made it through throat cancer and is doing great.
    I'm so glad they are a part of our family.

They make me smile and I'm glad we have them. They are active and like to take me
    for a walk when I feel good enough.

Gentle hugs, Susan
  6. faithinlove

faithinlove New Member

I have two pets..One is a five year old chihuahua..I love her so much. She sleeps with me and follows me everywhere I go. I do find a lot of time I spend with her is very relaxing. I take her for walks on a leash, is good excercise for me and the dog. It's name is Rowdy. I know that is a boys name but that is how I describe that dog in 1 word. Anyway, she is a fun dog to have.
    I also have a cockatiel. His name is Sparky. I have raised him since he was small so he is very tame. He talks and whistles. One of his favorite things to whistle is Jingle Bells. He does that a lot. He also knows the song from the old Andy Griffith show. He makes me laugh a lot. (So funny)
    These animals do make my life a better place and I enjoy them since I am alone. They are pretty good company sometime. They love me when I am at my worst. LOL
  7. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

2 dogs, & they are a God send to me & dh..One is a shi-poo & the other is a Bichon/Poodle...The Bichon is so perceptive to my aches/pains/fatigues. He will lay against my back if that's hurting, will come & just sit w/me when other things hit me.He is a love. And he loves hugs & smooches.

They are both rescue dogs, & love to run & play in the yard, don't run away, come to us when called, & are hair dogs, so don't shed. The shi-poo, we got last Aug. so she is still getting used to everything, but I call her my shadow. She follows me everywhere, lays outside the BR door til I come out, & she will cuddle some, but not as much as the Bichon. She loves to kind of be rolled around in bed b4 we get up in the morning.

This is her playtime..So funny to watch her do her "pawing" w/her front legs wanting more, then buries her head under the pillow & my neck. Toooooo funny..They both help me forget myself for awhile.

Dh has polymyalgia Rheumatica & neuropathy in his legs, so can't walk very well..One or the other of the dogs will jump up by him on the couch & sort of know to keep his legs warm..

I wouldn't trade them for anything..And YES they are will stop at Burger King on the way home from somewhere & buy them a plain hamburger to split between them..The clerks all know who he buys that

In fact it's Barkley's (Bichon) B'day today...6yrs.old..The Shi-poo (Lilybug) had her B'day last month...5yrs. old...Lots of fun.......

Love to chat about peoples pets & what makes them happy. Pets do alot for people like us...Puts a smile on my face anyway....Thanx for bringing up this topic....

Happy Easter & Blessings to all;
  8. peachums

peachums Member

she is very sick with bladder stones and glacoma. I am crying as I write this-- since she will not let us put drops in her eyes! She tries to bite us, growls, cries, runs soo sad that she does not understand.

And for a month she had her "bladder stone removing" food with no problems. Now- she will not eat it. I have mixed it with cheese, eggs and moist dog food. She will not eat it.

My heart is breaking.

We are going try to get a new Vet tomorrow. We will get our records and xrays from current vet and go get a 2nd opinion.
    We might have to leave her in the vet's clinic to insure she gets her drops . (I don't know what they do about food-- maybe surgery?).

I love this dog but I am at a loss as to how to help her...
    I will take any advise...
  9. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

I took in my son's black lab puppy about a year and a half ago. He is frisky young fellow that
    I've been calling my grand pup. My first real grandson is on the way in a few months.
    This should be a fun time for all.
  10. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I have a cat. And she definitely keeps me alive. If it weren't for my cat, I wouldn't have a real reason to still be here.

I've had cats my whole life. And even when I was at my sickest, they kept me alive. I knew I had to feed them and get their box changed. My mother used to help me with that if I was too sick. But I still did whatever I was able to.

I love her and I hope she will be around a long time, but she's an older cat now. And it scares me what I'll do if something happens to her. She's all I have left now. There is no other love in my life.
  11. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

WE have a Pug Dog.. and yes he gets me through the worst of days.. always right there with me.. he loves to cuddle , and follows mommy everywhere . when I am at my worst he always seems to do somethiing that just crackes me up... and makes me smile.. I am truly Blessed to have him.. I have updated my profile with a pic of what they look like as a pup... how could you Not love that face.. :)
    he loves to make mommy happy ..
  12. Densgirl

Densgirl New Member

He is half pug and half beagle and the love of my life. I don't know how I would have gotten thru the winter without him. He loves to cuggle and he sleeps with me. My daughter as a pug and they are the best of friends.

13. smokiebones

smokiebones New Member

We have 2 Chihuahua's, one is Rico and the other is his daughter Isabella. They are the love's of my life. My youngest daughter has a Husky/Lab mix she is also very sweet and very intune to what is going on with me. All three of them sleep with me and follow my every move. They are so conforting to have around.
    We also have a cat named Smokie he has taken up residence in the bathroom towel closet, of all places. He likes to drink out of the faucet, he also like to bat the wather at you while you are sitting there. LOL!
    We have Bo-Jo a rabbit, he is very funny to watch. I thought curosity killed the cat but I think it was a bunny! The rabbit and the chihuahua's play together. If you have never seen a bunny chase 2 dogs you are missing it. I laugh until I cry!
    They keep me going like the other lady said. They have to eat and go outside, I am all alone during the so it is up to me.

Great Post!!
  14. caffey

caffey New Member

I have a tabby cat that we rescued from a foster home 4years ok. Her name is kitty. She is spoiled rotten and the boss. She is very sensitive to my flares and pain etc. You can see it in her eyes. I have had several crisises where 911 was called. Poor kitty freaks out everytime they show up in my apt. complex with lights sirens etc. Kitty is the right size and weight that at night she lies against the small of my back and purrs. It helps with the pain. I recently read an article that there is something about cats and their body temp. that helps with pain relief. Go figure.
  15. ironspine

ironspine New Member

I think that's so true about they're bodies!!! I have a cat who is my constant companion. She loves to be on my lap, or sleep by me. Her warmth definitely helps! We put her in the basement at night in case she pukes, but in the morning she comes upstairs to me immediately and talks till I wake up and give her her "treats" (Pounce crunchies). If she can't find me she meows till I tell her where I'm at. She is so smart that when she feels like she's going to puke she runs down to the basement; but if she can't make it she at least tries to puke on a small throw rug (I'm a neat freak, easily washed!!) I don't think I'll ever have such a cat again and I dread when she gets old.
    I'm married with 2 kids, on a farm, and I do have a horse, German sheperd and 6 other cats outside, so it gives me reason to go out and walk around and see "everybody". They are all part of our family and they know it!
    I believe God gave us pets to help us feel better, and in turn it helps to take care of them!
    I don't think about my pain when I'm with them.
    Thanks for getting us on a subject other than our woes!!!
  16. loto

loto Member

I have a Chihuahua named Little Arthur and a mixed breed beautiful sweet dog named Lola.I also have one indoor cat named Jo-Jo, and 3 outdoor cats, one that will soon have babies! I have to laugh, if my family would allow me to, I'd have many more pets!!! They do help lift my spirits all the time! They keep us entertained, and they cuddle with me all the time! I just love them, and couldn't live without having pets! They're much like my kids! Of course, I love my kids more!! Anyway, I suggest we all have pets!!!! They do take my mind off of my pain a lot.