Tell me something...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Misfit101, May 13, 2010.

1. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

good or unusal about yourself! Or maybe something out of the ordinary that youve done or experienced. I cant help it...Im nosy. I just like hearing about other people. . . . . . . . . . . . .Me, Im strange. I do NOT remember movies that Ive seen. Ever. Have always been like that. The upside is that seeing any movie is like seeing it for the 1st time. The downside is that you dont want to send me to the video store. Ill pick out something we saw last week lol. I also might be the only person to never have seen ANY of the Star Wars movies. And I know that for a fact. Ok enough about about you?
  2. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

i once took a 5 min "class/info session" on SCUBA diving- then put all the equipment on and the oxygen tank, and then actually went scuba-diving!!!!! (you are supposed to have like an 8 week course to get certified first!) i did the fast track course- 5 mins!

i was scared as heck as we submerged into the water. but the fear was overcome by delight and curiosity as i began to see colorful fish dart about. what beautiful brilliant colors and patterns! we went deeper underwater, into a magical disney like world of amazing creatures. it was a joy to behold.

my scuba instructor pointed towards the opening of an underwater cavern----. did i dare to go inside? well, i had come this far- why stop now?! into the cave we went. it was dark. i coulndt see anything. feeling very scared, i felt panicky. then my eyes adjusted to the dark, and i could see shapes. coming more into focus, i saw that the shapes were huge 5 foot long fish swimming around us. yikes! get me outta this cave!

so we left the cave and continued the scuba trip.

it was a magical experience.

i had a major case of post scuba "high" that lasted for hours!!!

what an adventure!

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Well, let's see. I could you tell you about how I won, no....Well, I was the
    first to swim the...was awarded the prize for....Hmmmm.

Hard to think of anything right offhand like this.

Ok, I'll tell you about my stunning career in the performing arts. I wrote a
    play which was produced (8th grade). I appeared in numerous stage productions.
    I sang and danced in musicals.

I was in the choir and the chorus and the high school band.

I was the pianist/organist for 3 different churches. Sometimes played for 3 or
    4 services on a Sunday.

And now, here is the stunning part. I haven't an iota of talent. Was lousy at all
    of the above. Never even learned to play the school song.

May be hard to believe, but it's all as true blue as Paul Newman's eyes.

(Star Wars? Never? Why? Are you planning to have your own Star Wars Festival
    some day? My little boy and I saw the first one in the theater about 20 times. The
    film came out about the same time as Grease. He was 8 years old. Loved both.
    Every weekend for about a year we went to one or the other.)

And now he doesn't even speak to me. Life is pretty much a series of kicks in the
    pants. But even so, I have some happy memories. May the force be with you.

(Soon to be appearing on a message board near you.)
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

you wanted to hear something strange, right?

My BF and I used to go ghost hunting in cemeteries at midnight.... we set up his camera with a long exposure time. Actually got something interesting, but of course I lost it.

My secret dream is to have followed Susan Blackmore's path and been a peer. She got the first PhD in Parapsychology. She has written numerous books. She has not found anything replicable/quantifiable, but is still looking.... I admire her 'spirit' lolol and share it fully.

(I don't believe you're not talented Rock, not one iota of belief in fact! So sorry about your son tho. That may be stranger.

Becky, that often happens to me, if i've gone thru a period of insomnia. Sleep deprivation does that to me.

Bigmama - how cool - always wanted to try scuba and I admire you for daring to do it after a 5 minute 'instruction' - IF it can be called that!)

5. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member some brave souls out there! No way Id have gone in that cave! My bravery has limits. And ghost hunting and underwater caves are past those limits. I think its way cool...but Ill have to live vicariously on those. . . . . . .Vic took the words right outta my mouth Rock. No talent. Humph. Somehow I doubt that. Im sorry about your sm too. Kids have an uncanny ability to rip our hearts out and stomp on it. Hes missing out . . . . .ok there are some movies I know Ive seen like The Wizard of Oz and the Saw movies but I dont remember them. Except TWOZ....and thats cos Ive watched it all my life. Ive just always been like that. Not a fibro/cfs thing. Makes DH nuts. And I hate sci fi...Star Wars just wasnt something I wanted to see. I remember the hoopla tho. My sis ter was in love with Han Solo. I dont get it. . . . . . . . . . . . . . I took 8yrs of piano lessons but cant play a note now. So Im jealous Rock. . . . . .glad you brave souls shared!
  6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Interesting info!
    I'd never scuba dive/snorkel because I hate having my head under water. I don't like water in my eyes.

I can't dive. (obviously wouldn't want to)
    I love to dance!
    I love to sing - and most say I sing pretty well. =)

I only go to the same gas station. I won't drive with less than 1/4 tank of gas.

I rarely cook from a recipe. I make up my own a lot. Luckily I get a lot of compliments on my cooking, but it's almost impossible to tell someone else how to make it!

I bet with some time I can think of some interesting things.
  7. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I never cease to be amazed at the uniqueness of people. I dont know why because the 2 arent remotely related but rainbows post reminded me of something that happened in my teens. A friend of mine who was ALWAYS getting me into predicaments and I had gone out to the country. We had hopped a fence and were standing in a field with what we thought were cows. She commences to throwing rocks at them and we hear this SNORT and this bull takes off running at us! You never saw two girls get over a barbed wire fence so fast! I learned the difference between cows and bulls that day lol. I still get lambs and goats confused but Ill get there someday! Id love to see a cat floating on a piece of cork! I wish I could say that I dont let my gas get below a quarter of a tank.....*sigh*
  8. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I had a visit to the eye doctor a few weeks back. The eye doctor told me I have very unusual eyes.

Apparently the blue of my eyes dont just circle my pupils but also a straight line of blue through my pupils.

In all of my 44 years I didn't know! No other doctor had mentioned it to me.

I love ghosthunting too!! Nothing digital recorded other rhan EVP's. I have been mildly sensitive as far back as I can remember. My aunt...well, great aunt was physic. My oldest daughter and my youngest daughter are extremely sensitive.

I wanna scuba fair!! At this time I am sure it would take several weeks to roll on a wet suit:) are wonderful with words. I can't say if you have other talents or not. I love to read you posts. I find to be kind, thought provoking, and funny!! If you write a book I'm buying it.

I really enjoyed this post and look forward to reading others uniqueness.

9. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

good stories, guys

rainbow- the cork story cracks me up!
  10. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

I guess something unusual about me (besides the fact that I'm just plain weird!) would be that back in 1988 I swam with wild dolphins in the Bahamas. My mom was a wildlife photographer and we took part in a scientific expedition. It was so awesome. One of the dolphins that swam by me had a baby with her. I could hear them "clicking" to each other. We weren't allowed to touch them but the momma swam by me and rubbed up against my arm. What a feeling!!

I'll never forget it.
  11. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Wow! I KNEW you all had stories and/or idiosyncrancies! I didnt know it was called "flying" re submarines. Got to thinking what would they call it? Driving doesnt sound right. That had to be a heckuva experience. Im not really claustrophobic but I think my mind would start thinking about all that water between me and the surface and Id wig out. Yep. I would. . . . My sis just got back from a cruise and swam w the dolphins. She said it was the highlite of her life. . . .and absolutely add satisfying! The most gratifying thing I ever did was to go to the nursing home I worked at on my days off and do the residents hair nails even a wee bit of makeup. They were overwhelmed that someone would do that but believe me I got WAAAY more than they did. And oh the stories! Incredible ppl. Theyre long gone but they live in my heart.
  12. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

I think what you did for those folks in the nursing home was great! It is amazing what the "little things" can mean. And because most nursing homes these days are waaaaay understaffed, the nursing assistants usually don't have the time to do the little things.

Good for you for doing that! :)
  13. Didoe

Didoe New Member

makes 2 of us haven't seen the star trek/war movies, tv series and have no plans to do so.

do you like films? here's 2 of my favs
    La Belle et la Bete by Jean Cocteau (French version-has subtitles-of Beauty and the Beast) black & white, pure magic-I cant tell you how moved u will be by it.

The Red Shoes-with Moira Shearer
    This one is 1940s, but color tinted, about a pair of ballet slippers that a beautiful dancer puts on and they make her dance most exuisitely but she cannot stop and afterall her partners an adventures, they dance her to her is a fairy tale but the cinematography is a blur of reds, pinks...indescribably beautiful

Midnight Cowboy
    very old...dustin hoffman, jon voigt, i was in my teens i think and used all the tissues in my knapsack by the end of the film. So its a tale of 2 misfits(an edgy buddy film), a male prostitute and a social reject who team up and the male prostitute finds for the first time what it means to love and lose someone in his life, really love and he didnt realize even what the emotion was until experiencing the loss...of course these 2 actors went on to become award winning brilliant geniuses and voigt is the father of angelina jolie.
  14. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Jan...this was back in the 70's and 80's. They didnt have a lot of activities they have in some places now. I so loved those ppl. I never had time to do what i really wanted so thats when id go in on my days off. I promise you ALL the blessings were mine. Id still like to do it. Darned health problems. . . . Hey Im not alone anymore! Do ppl look at you funny when you admit to not having seen star wars? They do me. I love the turner classic movie channel. I think ive seen the movie you described. Im not sure. But i love dustin hoffman. And al pacino. And omg whos the actor who played hannible lecter? Its in the black hole. I watched homeward bound (i think thats the name) with ds last nite. Made me cry. That doesnt happen very often. I hate not being able to remember things!
  15. victoria

victoria New Member

I'm not the only one who is "lost'...

cuz I've never followed the series or even watched any of the "Lost' series, or any other of the reality series, except an occasional 'wife swap' LOL.

We once boated across from Panama City to Shell Island and picknicked on the beach with our kids. A curious dolphin surfaced about 20' out from the beach, looking at us, stayed for about 15 minutes constantly popping his head out and almost like he was inviting us but... we were hesitant to get in with it since it was alone and you never know, I have heard of aggressive dolphins.
  16. victoria

victoria New Member

Some of us seem to attract such things, it seems!

I've had similar experiences, but with horses. I was an obedient respectful kid, so I don't know why horses didn't like me, but my few experiences with them between ages of 6-11 included being run away with, being bucked off, and being kicked - by 3 different horses at different places... all dude ranches where they're not supposed to do such things, especially to kids.

Needless to say, I have turned down my neighbor's invitation to ride her gentle horses here, as she'd love to have someone to ride with. Well, anyway my DH threatened to divorce me if I did, cuz if I fell off.... I don't even want to think about the impact, LOL.
  17. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Dolfins and tigers and horses....oh my! (Wizard of Oz...! :)

I would love to be able to ride a horse again. Haven't done it in a million years. But, I have a feeling my spine would be about 6 inches shorter by the time I finished! When I was in my early teens - which I barely remember!! - my GF and I used to ride horses. We used to pretend we were cowboys. Ah....those were the days!

I also don't like zoos, petting zoos, circuses (sp?) or anything that uses animals for display. You can tell so much just by looking in their eyes. So sad. When I was a kid I would want to take all of the animals home any time we went to the zoo!

18. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Rescuing animals is what small son wants to do when he grows up. Saving forests etc. Hes quite the environmentalist and activist. Im proud of that about him. Except when he gripes at me for my use of paper plates and plastic cups. I told him Id stop buying them if he would wash dishes. Put an end to that nagging lol. . . . . . were part of the generation of women who were modern day pioneers. Forged thru and broke boundaries to pave the way for later generations of women. I wonder if young women realize that birth control wasnt always available? Among other things. So much has changed for women just in the last 60yrs. far to go. And the shoulda coulda wouldas? Ahhh that old hindsight vision.
  19. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

What strikes me about being a woman in a man's world was the sexual harassment. I worked as a secty for a charter bus company. Approx 50 drivers. One was a woman. I cant begin to tell you what I put up with. I know it still happens present day but LOTS has changed in that area. DH works in manufacturing...all employees attend "sensitivity" training lol. Using the "F" word is grounds for firing if someone goes to management and complains. Use of that word is considered sexual harassment. . . . . .rainbow ive had 2 kids that brought home every stray they came across. Animals...not men lol. (sorry rock..i couldnt resist). Tho ive wondered about some of the boys too. 3 out of 4 refuse to go anywhere animals are captive. For the life of me i dont know where they get it from.
  20. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

My now 24yo DD actually boycotted a field trip to the zoo her class took once. They all thought she was nuts. My job now is to make them understand that these animals they bring in have to be CARED for. That means trips to the vet...fees for spaying or neutering etc. Its more than love food and water. Shes lived in apts and sneaks the animals in. Weve had many a conversation about that. Thank goodness we now live in an area where my son does NOT walk to school or friends houses. The only strays we deal with are the drop offs. Makes me so mad cos then im stuck finding them homes. And the cats think my bird feeders are some kind of smorgasbord. And no one messes with my birdies! . . . . . Miss Yaksalot