Tell me when you finally quit working outside the home due to FM.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kaymac42, Apr 13, 2009.

1. kaymac42

kaymac42 New Member

I'd like to hear when those of you finally threw in the towel and gave up your day job.

I battled the decision 2 years ago when I went into a neverending flare, then I began LYRICA and I once again hung on for a while longer. Things were good for several months till....

...the fatigue is just relentless. I make it thru work and home to couch and there till bedtime. I live for the weekend, where I............make it to the couch for the entire day. I still can't shop, clean, or just work outside or feel like going anywhere. I"m experiencing arthritic pains and a new lower back/pelvic pain that is horrible and so painful I cried all last week and ended up leaving work in pain and missing. Now I'm back today and don't know how I'm expected to make it all day every day this week. It's like new complaints or symptoms piling up on me and I can't handle anymore, but we are just not financially set for me to leave work yet.

I'm not sure I would benefit quitting, because I'd have more time to dwell on my pain and limitations. Here at work I can see others, talk with others and interact with the public. I can stay busy even tho I'm exhausted and grunt and grumble all day with every move I make! I am so confused. Just wanted to hear other stories of when they ended their career due to FM.
  2. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

Your situation is 100% like mine. I also work full time and count down the minutes at the end of the day so i can get in my car at 5 and go home and get in my comfy clothes and relax the rest of the night. I ponder this idea of quitting all the time too, however, with one in college and one getting ready for college there is just no way for me to be able to at this time. I am just hopeing and praying that i can make it a few more years.

However, when i think about it I just don't know how much longer i can go on. The mornings are the worst for me and if i didn't work for a company that was pretty lax on being on time, I would have been fired a long time ago.

I also live for the weekend to be a bum all weekend and lay on the couch all day and sleep and sleep. It is so hard to get going on the weekends, definetly no shopping for me either. Luckily hubby does all that, so that helps.

I guess all i can do is keep willing myself to do this day in and day out and remind myself that I have too for my kids sake for now.

Hopefully you will get more stories on here, however i am with you on being confused as to how i am going to keep on doing this. Good luck Kaymac.
  3. 3gs

3gs New Member

I stopped working in 1992. Intially reason was for Post Polio.

I was working two jobs and got fired from day job for making mistakes. Did not know about fibro/cfs/lyme then. did get dianogsed with EBV in 1989.

With info I now have I had these dd back into childhood. One word of caution if at all possible quit when you can. I pushed(watching gkids)instead of listening to my body when it said stop. My life now is house and bed bound. Keep thinking if I had listened maybe I wouldnt have progressed so sevrely.

Also if you are not getting relief from Lyrica see post on article from NY post on falsifed reports by doc that it helps pain. You will get lots of great info on here. wish I had found sooner.

best of luck
  4. astroherb

astroherb New Member

I so know what you are talking about. I was very close to quitting my job last year at this time. I made it through the week and then was very sick and exhausted all weekend. When I would reach a certain point of tiredness the sore throat, chills, extreme achiness etc. would come on like gangbusters. I would lay around all weekend and then back to work to do it all again.

I am still working, but have improved quite a bit so it is now a little easier, but I pretty much still live week to week.

All of the books and research I have read say that those who work part time do the best (i.e, better than those who work full time and better than those who stay at home.) Is that a possibility for you?

Good luck in making the right decision.

5. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

I am fortunate to have a job where I can work at home, but, I am still not 100%. I am still calling in "tired" and constantly making up those lost hours. Then of course, I'm nowhere near the quota I should be making.

Shoot - before I was diagnosed with this, I was working almost 60 hours a weekand making 1 1/2 times my quota.

I thought I was the only one who didn't want to go anywhere or do anything. I sometimes wonder if I'm just "secretely lazy" and don't try hard enough. Of course there are days when I can just go and go and go.....only to forget that I crash and burn hard after that.

I work Monday through Friday third shift. My supervisor has allowed me a 3 hour break after 4 hours for a nap, thankfully, but that still doesn't help with my chronic fatigue issues.

And to make matters worse, my rheumatoid arthritis is coming back with vengence and I'm having trouble - my finger joints, wrist joints, elbow joints and shoulder joints are killing me!! Yes, I am on 6 tablets of Vicodin a day and that doesn't help at all anymore.

6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Wow, I sound just like you guys. I can't wait to get home, get on my comfy clothes and hit the couch. The weekends I barely move. I can't tell you the last time I grocery shopped. Thankfully I have a very helpful and wonderful husband.

Astro- I have heard the same thing about working part time. My rheumatologist told me that those who do best are those that work a part time somewhat flexible job. Working full time can be too taxing, and sometimes being home all the time - well, I know how I'd be...

I must say its' awfully tough some days to go to work, but some times it does take my mind off the pain and it gives me the feeling of being with the rest of the world. I also am very good at my job so it gives me a sense of accomplishment.

I'd have a particularly rough time lately and my boss actualy said he thoughted I needed to take a leave, that I should be home resting, take care of myself. He felt badly for being so busy and having so much work for me. (my hours have increased).

Two things - financially, I cannot quit right now. Cannot. Secondly, this is the ideal job for me. I love the people I work with, the work and my boss is wonderful. Normally my hours are perfect for me!
    It's tough - a tough decision. Sometimes i feel trapped.

It's definitely an individual decision for everyone. We're all at different places.
  7. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I'll never forget the day it happened. March 2, 2004. I had my dream job, was so close to being there for 2 years and all of a sudden my fibro decided to attack everything. I was hospitalized twice that week because all of a sudden I couldn't breathe normally and I passed out at work (how embarrassing being that most of them didn't know I was sick). I took a day off and was planning to go back until I ended up in the hospital again. My doc pulled me out of work as disability for 1 month.

After the month I tried to go back and by the end of the week, I was back in the hospital so my doc pulled me out until further notice. After what seemed like forever, I left my house and moved a couple of hours away to be with friends. Tried school. Failed miserably. Withdrew due to illness.

I didn't return to work until November 2005 and it was for a job I could do most of at home. Since then I have had a ton of different jobs, none of which last very long. Can't hold down anything that requires too much focus or effort, but I have been denied twice for SSDI. So I push on.

Now I'm a full time student with a part time work study (basically I work in the office at the school and get paid to do homework). I've tried so many times to hold a "real job" with no success. Maybe someday.