Tell new drs everything?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FMayastigi, Jun 7, 2003.

1. FMayastigi

FMayastigi New Member

I have started a list of things/symptoms that have been going on, bothering me and happening to me, and I wondered if it is a good idea to take that with me when I go to my new drs appointments? I have been so frustrated by docs that have not listened or anything that I thought I would just kinda lay it all on the line up front. Then I started thinking that maybe I should start with a few things at a time. I don't want them to get freaked out and think that I need to be commited or anything LOL. Any and all input would be most appreciated.
    Thanks for all your opinions.
    Hugs
    Tammy
  2. layinglow

layinglow New Member

If you are going to a physician who specializes, and treats many FM/CFS patients they are accustomed to the long list of symptoms presented by patients with our disorders. It is part of these disorders to have many systems affected and disabled. They do appreciate the full story, and will take the time (as they know it's necessary)to hear your list.

However if you are going to a doctor who does not deal with these disorders you will probably come away feeling as if you were not thoroughly heard, or taken seriously, or are simply a hypochondriac.

I finally quit seeing doctors of the second type, and see a Dr. who is very familiar, knowledgeable, and capable of treating all aspects of these disorders. I have gone from completely bedridden, to a much higher quality of life. My initial visit lasted one hour and a half. I can schedule any length visit, I feel necessary, still to this day.

I would suggest no matter who you see that you put your symptoms that are bothering you, and issues in order of importance, or the most pressing. Make two copies, one for yourself, and one to hand the doctor.

Best wishes, LL
    [This Message was Edited on 06/07/2003]
  3. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

I think that it's important to be upfront and honest. That way if your doctor does not believe or agree with you, you will know right up front. It saves lots of time and money in the future. Bringing a list is a great idea. I wish that I had thought of that one myself a long time ago. Good luck with your new doc!!

Love,
    Kathryn
  4. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

First visit I tell my major symptoms, in my case widespread chronic pain and exhaustion. I say I feel like I have a bad case of the flu that I cannot get over. (this was before the diagnosis)
    Since the diagnosis I tell the same thing and add I have been told by Dr. ____ it is Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I say I have been told not I think. In other words I am letting them know I was diagnosed.

Additional problems I save for later appointements.
  5. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Hi Tammy,

Whenever I go to any doctor who is new, I write
    a list of all my concerns, any health diagnosis I have
    had, all surgeries, meds I am on, etc. I print two copies out and I give one to the dr and I have the other one
    in front of me. We then can go down the list
    together. It is basically my health history all in
    one succint form. That way I won't forget anything.
    It also helps when filling out drs forms. Sometimes
    I also just keep an index card in my wallet or purse
    that lists my meds and dosages. It just makes it
    easier.

One dr I went to (who turned out to be a major jerk)
    said that all of his CFS and FMS patients come
    to his office with lots of papers full of info.

Lynn
  6. bakron

bakron New Member

If the doctor doesn't pay attention to your list, or just rushes through the first visit without much discussion, let the doctor know you don't appreciate his/her behavior.

You need to remember that you are "hiring" the new doctor and paying him/her for services; therefore, think of the first visit as the "interview." On that first visit, although you may be in his/her physical territory, think of it as the doctor being in your territory.

One of my nurse friends made her appointment with a new doctor as an "interview." She requested before he saw her as a patient that she have time to talk with him to see if a good rapport might be established. The doctor admired her for doing this. In addition, she didn't have to pay a fee for seeing him as it was an agreed upon interview!