telling a staff

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by vbjess, Jul 6, 2006.

1. vbjess

vbjess New Member

I'm hoping someone else has been through this and can help me.

I'm in college and will be a dorm director in the fall. I'll be supervising a staff of 5 RA's. I will need to tell them something about my fibro, but I don't know how much to tell them. I don't know if I should just tell them that I get sick from time to time and may have to cancel a meeting at the last minute, or if I'm chronically ill and not contagious, or if I should actually tell them that I have fibromyalgia.

I don't want to alarm any of them, and I feel like they don't need to know all the details, but they should know up front that there will probably be times when I don't feel up to conducting meetings and teambuilders. I've already had that talk with my supervisor, and she took it really well- her sister has fibro, so it went pretty well.

Any ideas? Anybody been through a similar situation?

Jess
  2. carebelle

carebelle New Member

It gives you a chance to educate others about these DD's and it may help someone else that has it.I would think it will give you a sence of relief to just be open about it.
    Plus it may stop the rumor mill from starting.Get a copy of Prickles flyiers she hands out.Make copys for them.
  3. bioman85

bioman85 New Member

Jess,

When I am first telling people about me being sick, I never say up front that I have CFS. I just tell them I'm sick and the doctors are still trying to figure out what it is wrong with me, and then I tell them my symptoms. I find that easier than saying CFS and hearing "o what's that?", although that conversation usually comes up at some point.

Since we're around the same age this is how I can best explain it to people our age.

Chris
    [This Message was Edited on 07/06/2006]
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Give 'em a little info. Otherwise they may imagine all kinds of weird things.