Telling your boss that you have CFS...HOW?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greeneyes24, Feb 21, 2006.

1. greeneyes24

greeneyes24 New Member

This year I got a full scholarship offer to do a PhD full time. I'm supposed to start in a few weeks. However I have had severe CFS for years now, and I'm at most capable of spending couple of days a week at university. I'm pretty much expected to be there every day.

My supervisor is great and has helped me a lot so far to even get this position and I really don't want to dissapoint him. But I have been hiding the fact that I'm sick. I have already tried telling him once, I started something like my health is not 100% and I can't really be here 9-5pm...but he has cut me off with "if you have got a part time job that's fine". I lost my nerve then. Basically because I look well and he sees me sitting there it's clear that he doesn't beleive me that I'm sick. Also I mentioned CFS once in general and he pretty much thinks CFS is nothing.

I had a meeting with him today and he outlined what was expected of me this semester. The workload is huge and there is no way I can cope with that.

My question here is how do I tell him that I have CFS and thus need reduced workload without him thinking that:

a) I'm lying and have just gotten another job
    b) I'm just being lazy and CFS is nothing

I don't know how to best put it into words and also if it would be appropriate to do this over an email instead of face to face as this would make it so much easier for me...
    Really don't know what to do.
  2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Do you have a disability support service on your campus? They can be extremely helpful in backing you up if you are registered with them. My son applied for this support while he is in school, and they notify teachers, he is able to have back-up when he is expected to stay late and can't, plus he will have some tutoring (his brain fog is bad and he needs some help). Anyway, I hope this helps! Terri