Temporary loss of swallowing reflex?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KelB, Feb 16, 2007.

1. KelB

KelB New Member

Over the last week, I've had three short episodes where I seem to have lost my swallowing reflex. I take a sip of a drink or a mouthful of food, then when I go to swallow nothing happens and I start to choke.

It's almost like something at the back of my throat is paralysed. It clears after around 10 minutes but is pretty scary in the meantime.

I don't really want to bother my GP with it - I'm pretty sure he'll just say it's stress-related or because I'm tired.

Has anyone else had this as part of CFS/ME/[whatever we're calling it these days]?

Thanks.
  2. Suzan

Suzan New Member

This is one of her regular sypmtoms...Makes eating and drinking a problem for her many times in any given week. Definately mention it to your doctor..as it can be a symptom of other issues.
    I have FMS..and have had a couple very minor episodes of my swallowing not working well..sometimes it seems like there is a lump in my throat..and I find if I massage the sides of my neck in a downward stroke..I can help the muscles relax and that feeling leaves.
  3. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i think i read seen something about this yesterday on the web site fibrohugs.com good luck charlene