Tempur-pedic bed worth the cost???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Takesha, May 4, 2003.

1. Takesha

Takesha New Member

My honey and I were running errands the other day and stopped into a local store to check on beds. I haven't been able to sleep on one in over a year and he hasn't been able to do anything but sleep on a mat on the floor for years due to spine injury. We tried out a tempur-pedic and it seemed right for both of us. However, the price is way out there and I am wondering if anyone has purchased one and if they hold up the way they claim to? I would never be able to afford one, but my pell grant and a student loan is coming in next month and if they are as good as is claimed it would be worth it. Any comments?
    Takesha
  2. Ellie

Ellie New Member

it is great I have had it since Aug. it is like sleeping on a cloud. It is easy to make the bed and put clean sheets on because it is very light. I live in Hawaii and it keeps me cool too. I would never sleep on anything else. Ellie
  3. JannyW

JannyW New Member

Hi Takesha,
    I had one of their pillows & loved it ... unfortunately, my ex hid it when I was moving so I had to settle for something less comfortable. I know the beds are very pricey, but if it works for you it will be well worth the cost. I found that my waterbed also worked well for me ... another thing the ex kept :(

Jan ^v^
  4. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

You might want to do a search on mattresses there was a big discussion on them about a week ago here. I tried their pillow and it caused too much compression for me. My sister has one of the "air" beds and really likes it. But do the search - lots of good opinions.
  5. LW

LW Member

Tempur-Pedic also makes a mattress topper, which is less expensive that the bed, although more expensive than other mattress toppers, which are made of the same memory foam material. You might want to search out one of these alternative brands in the $200 range before committing all that money to the Termpur-Pedic bed or topper, which are both far too expensive in my view.

Another thing: These toppers and bed are made of a polyurothene (sp?) material which has a very distinct chemical smell. If you are chemically sensitive, as I am, you will have difficulty living with this mattress. I am still trying to "air out" a mattress topper that I bought four months ago and still can't sleep on it--even with two zip covers on it. It literally makes me ill.

Having said that, these memory foam beds and toppers are really great to sleep on, and if you don't have any chemical sensitivities, check them out. Just don't spend more than you need to.

LW
  6. AmyKaiser

AmyKaiser New Member

wow good point about the smell...
    have u tried calling the manufacturer for any tips..
    my concern was the heat it might generate..
    3 years ago i bought an expensive king sized bed..about 1500.00 to be exact..
    i was debating between two mattress and unfortunately chose the softer one...well it sure feels like heaven for the short term in the store right..
    well the salesman told me the other mattress has a wool top layer that in the winter holds the heat in for warmth and in the summer pulls it away from your body...
    GOD I WISH I bought that one..
    the one i have now is like an INFERNO...
    even with the A/C on its like sleeping on soft concrete and its a drag..
    i thought about getting one of those toppers u can regulate the soft/hardness but i am worried about the heat..
    being that its plastic it can let heat through to ventilate thus i am assumimg making another inferno investment..

Amy
  7. aryiella

aryiella New Member

I have a 2" thick queen size foam topper (same material as tempurpedic) that I got for $140. I did a lot of searching on the net for the best quality/price. I think this was the best deal. Do a search on Yahoo for "absolute comfort on sale" to find the website. I don't have any problems with smell or being too warm. I actually have this on top of an inflatable air bed (full height) that I got for $77 too!

Holly
  8. AmyKaiser

AmyKaiser New Member

wanted more feedback
    real issue for me as i wake up in pain everyday from this mattress
  9. Dayle

Dayle New Member

toppers are now available thru Sears. I just bought a memory foam pillow at Zellers here in Canada. Only $24.97 Canadian. Hope it helps me sleep better tonight.
    Love,,,,,Day
  10. Flibble

Flibble New Member

I bought one of these and I hated it. It was like sleeping on a rock. I could never get comfortable. My body temp is so low I couldn't generate enough heat to sink into the mattress. If you like a hard bed than it is perfect but I like a very, very soft sleep environment. Good Luck! Flibble