Ten Commandments for Pet Owners

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Marta608, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I know many of us here have much-loved pets. Have you seen this? I think it's excellent. Marta

Ten Commandments for Pet Owners

1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be very painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want from me. Do not break my spirit with your temper, though I will always forgive you. Your patience and understanding will teach me more quickly those things you want me to learn.

3. Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for your kindness than mine. Don't be angry with me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment. After all, you have your job, your friends, your entertainment. I have only you.

4. Speak to me often. Even if I don't understand all your words, I understand your voice when it's speaking to me. Your voice is the sweetest sound I ever hear, as you must know by my enthusiastic excitement when your footsteps fall upon my waiting ear.

5. Please take me inside when it's cold and wet. I'm a domestic animal and no longer am accustomed to the bitter elements. I ask for little more than your gentle hands petting me.

6. Keep my bowl filled with clean water; I cannot tell you when I'm thirsty. Feed me good food so that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to be by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to share with you my life, for that is what I live for. However you treat me, I'll never forget it.

7. Don't hit me. Remember, I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hand, but I choose not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I am not getting the right food, I've been out in the sun too long, or my heart is getting old and weak.

9. Take care of me when I get old. You will grow old, too.

10. When I am very old, when I no longer enjoy good health, please do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having fun. Just see to it that my trusting life is taken gently. And be with me on that difficult journey when it is time to say "goodbye". Never say, "I can't bear to watch." Everything is easier for me when you are there. I will leave this earth knowing with my last breath that my fate was always safest in your hands. Remember - I love you.

-- Author Unknown

[This Message was Edited on 03/08/2008]
  2. mezombie

mezombie Member

Thanks for posting this, Marta!
  3. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

That's the saddest thing I've read in a long time - while I'm already a pet lover, it gave me a whole new perspective - thanks for posting it!
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

For Posting this Marta! It's oh so True!,,,,,,,,,sis,,and Lucky!
  5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Isn't it good? Kinda puts things in perspective a bit.

On the other hand, I remember when, especially with cats, we opened the door and let them in and out. We fed them, gave them water and one day when they didn't come back, we were sad.

Times sure have changed! I think we're better for it.

6. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

This is so very true and it actually made me cry. I lost my beloved, Asa, in January and I still miss him terribly. I did give all my fur babies a little kiss and a cat nip treat today just so they know how much "Mom" loves them!
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Thanks for saying nice things about Sophie, Linda. She's a good, if odd, cat.

I've heard that we sign a contract with grief when we adopt a pet and it's true. The day will likely come when the most loving thing we can do end its pain - and then ours begins.

I had to do this twice within seven months two years ago, then I rescued Sophie and it's been.... um..... interesting ever since.

I must tell you other animal lovers the latest: I've seen a yellow cat around the neighborhood for months. Sophie has been very interested in this cat, whether to meet it or beat it to a pulp, I don't know.

Anyway, it's been hanging around here and yesterday I took some water out for it. It drank and drank and drank, poor thing. Yeah, so I took out some food. It ate and ate and.... you get the idea.

Today I was taking out fresh water and I locked myself out of the screened porch in a freak moment hooks and eyes meeting as I shut the door. Couldn't find my hidden key (did I hide one or did I just think about it??) and while getting up off the ground from where I'd been digging - mind you, it's cold here and I had on no coat - I hit my head on the bleeping bird feeder! I was still locked out of my house and this last assault really made me mad. I grabbed ahold of the door knob and yanked - broke the eye right off the door jamb. Now the door won't lock.

And I have no idea what I will do with this poor old fur-matted, cold, hungry, thirsty cat! The shelter already has a waiting list.

8. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Thanks for posting this. I believe precious animals are truly a gift from God. I was holding my good boy while reading this today. He is a rescue dog I got back in December. Poor little one was all bones and had severe kennel cough. His little nose ran just like a person with a cold.

My husband wiped his nose all the time and cooked/hand fed him to put weight back on.

Charlie is a 9 lb Chihuahua - very beautiful. He has root beer color eyes and is white and tan with a slender,graceful body.

This guy is about 6 yrs old and was someone's baby in his prior life. I have tried to locate his prior owners, but at the same time, I cannot know if the prior home was good.

I would hate to give him back to someone who did not take care of him. This boy was picked up by animal control.

This dog has been my therapy dog if there is such a thing. He is very intelligent, well behaved, loving, and listens to me talk. Since I got him I have kept him with me 24/7.

When I leave the house each day he goes with me. He says goodbye to "daddy" like he is doing his job going with me each day. At the office he sits on a chair next to me while I work on the computer and never causes any problem.

While driving in the car he stands up looking out the window on his side, wagging his tail, as if to say how much he enjoys the scenery. He also watches tv and will sometimes wag his tail.

He sleeps alone at night but I let him in my bed in the morning from about 8 am until I get up - that is noon sometimes. If I feel bad I watch tv, etc.

He gives me so much and it is true, I must remember to give back. What does he want, my love - that is all.

At night he really would like to sleep in my bed but I can't do it because my husband has asthma. Every single night he will wimper and carry on hoping I will bring him to bed. Normally he is the last one to go to bed. I take 1/2 Ambien and hold him in a chair downstairs until I am sleepy. I then put him to bed when I go to bed.

If I do that, he does not wimper or carry on - but if I try to ignore him, he works himself into a real dither.

Soon I will get him neutered. I have a suspicion they used him for breeding.

9. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Maybe you can just put the cat in a small extra room in your home. I have done that is the past. I just get the cat box, make a bed and keep them until I can find a home. Anything is better than where she is now.

I know we can't rescue every animal we see, but sometimes I think God sends me these animals for some reason.

Alot of people like to take older animals. Once this cat gets decent food and attention, it will probably become beautiful.

Good luck, I wish you the best. People who love animals are truly blessed.

10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I am in the process of nagging the shelter where I volunteer to take the cat and I think I'm wearing them down. This cat will be a challenge because almost every hair on its body is matted. Right now it's climbing a big tree in my backyard which answers my question about having all it's claws.

Poor thing, it's not sure if it wants food or petting more.

So many people are ditching their pets around here in MI where the economy is so brutal and jobs are leaving the state. I can't imagine not taking my pet if I moved, but maybe I've never been as desperate as they are.

There are just not many places left for the animals to go.

Here's to our pets, no matter what size, shape or age!

11. Marta608

Marta608 Member

What a good friend you are to take care of the dogs, Molly! Would you like a cat too??

Just kidding. Sophie hasn't slept in over two days, ever since I started feeding the stray cat(s). She's busy guarding her house and porch. Well, I said she needed something to do...

I talked to the Cat Coordinator at the shelter and it looks as if I will take the orange cat into the shelter on Friday to be looked at. I warned her that this cat is in a sorry state! She thinks it might be OK. Now I just have to hope it's not a Ms. Cat full of babies.

The cat will have to be shaved to remove the mats - and then what? a little sweater?? - as well as have blood work done. Poor thing, it just wants some food, water and to be loved, not a trip to the Mayo Clinic.

I put a plastic trash can outside next to the house, and put in a rug and clean fluffy blankets. I hope the cat finds it tonight although its gotten itself through this horrid winter somehow. Probably all the mats of hair have kept it from freezing.

I avoided the bird feeder today; in fact, I came close but then backed up and told it it wasn't getting me again. The neighbors will think I've gone round the bend - "that woman and the cats who talks to the bird feeder". Oh well, it could be worse.

12. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Too bad a vet could not volunteer to take care of this kitty. It sounds like he needs medical care, and maybe to be shaved under sedation for that matted coat.

I rescued a long haired white kitty several years ago and we just had him sedated and shaved. It really was ok and his coat grew back beautifully. We kept him indoors.
  13. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Good morning,

"William" has been fed, watered and petted - as much as his/her matted fur will allow.

Yes, PVLady, I do wish I could keep this sweet cat but my current cat is extremely bad with other cats, as proven when she was in the shelter. Everyone breathed a huge sigh of relief when I took her home. From my observations, she's afraid of cats. :>/

I didn't take Will into the shelter yesterday. It was cold and icy and he only came for breakfast before disappearing until late (dinner time). I must be sure he's adoptable before they will do the work on him. I was hoping to save some $$ by having them do it instead of a vet. But we shall see. I will do something for this cat!

Today will be warmer!

Hugs to all my pet lover friends,