Tender point correct me if im wrong

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by reckabek, Jun 21, 2006.

1. reckabek

reckabek New Member

OK...i see a bunch of different things about these tender points...i see people say they have fibro cause they hurt in these areas and i see people say that they dont hurt here, but when they r touched they r painful... reason im asking, is im on the brink of being DX'ed w/ fibro, but these points dont seem to really bother me, unless touched, hard...then they shoot up and down and all around pinched nerve feeling pain.

and i also, heard that wether u r in pain or not, the DR can DX you and tell if u have FIBRO by touching these points, at any given time. Now would theis be true if u r even on meds such as neurontin to mask the pain?? please anyone help answer the issues i have ..hehe...thanks all, beck
  2. onlythestrong

onlythestrong New Member

At any time they hurt like you know what but alot of the time I don't notice them unless they are touched.
    And I understand that is how they know you have fibro.
    Good luck and hugs,
    Mary
    [This Message was Edited on 06/22/2006]
  3. Nikki

Nikki Member

I had 18 of the 18 points when 1st dx'd. My dr. puts pressure just about eveywhere each time he checks me (more than just the 18 points);

sometimes he'll mash a spot and no pain; but, when he hits any of those 18 points, I almost come off the exam table. The pain is so excruchiating - whether I'm on meds or not.

Unlike my trigger points, these points don't usually hurt unless they are mashed on.

Hope this helps.

Nikki
  4. millennia

millennia New Member

HOw do you know if you have these trigger points, if every inch of your body hurts to the touch? Does it hurt when you put pressure on these 18 points, heck yes! But it hurts when the cat walks across my lap or my daughter hugs me. Is it a different type of pain?
  5. AngelWife26

AngelWife26 New Member

when you touch a tender/trigger point than when someone else does it. I hit on 16 of the 18 and hobbled out of the exam room after. I don't usually notice too much on a 'good day' because I have been getting used to my daily pains....LOL. Isn't it amazing though what we can tolerate?

Nadine :)
  6. reckabek

reckabek New Member

Thanks, so much for responding....im not sure where the trigger points r, ive never been tested or educated...i do know i have lots of tender knot feeling areas..where when touched hard it shoots...but i think thats normal..well keep me informed still thanks...beck
  7. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

If your doctor touches a tender point, you will feel it whether you are on pain meds or not. I recently saw a new doctor and she gave me the tender point exam. It was so painful that I could not control my tears (especially the one on the buttocks).

Go to this website for the location of the tender points:

http://www.geocities.com/cfsdays/tp_diag.htm

Lolalee
  8. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

The Rheumy who diagnosed me said it was 8 lbs of pressure, a pretty hard push. She didn't tell me what she was doing, she just went to the points and I was yelling at her to stop it, ouch!! It was a weird experience.she said I had Fibromyalgia, gave me a brochure, told me to get 1/2 hour of exercise per day and call my primary care physician.
    Finding this website, getting on sleep aid and Cymbalta and vitamins and I am better, but still tender on all of the points on the outside and inside of legs, arms, chest, neck and back. Still get worn out easily and need to watch what I do and how long I am on my feet.
    Best wishes to you.

Nanna
  9. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Hi:

My doctor dx about 5 years ago with FMS AFTER I had a bad car accident. I was on lots of vicodin, and had some serious bruising from seatbelt and hitting the steering wheel. I was hit from the side, and my airbag did not inflate. Not only did I jump off the table when she touched me, but she said that the hair on my body was standing up and that my entire body had goose bumps on it, and I was not cold, I was actually flushed. I had always had pain mostly on my right side, which is why no one had said FMS to me in the past.

I have most likely had FMS since my early childhood, but just learned to deal with it, and "soldier through". The cumulative affect of a few injuries and problems as well as the final bad car accident made it easy for her to dx me.

I understand what you mean about being in pain everywhere...but the medical community had to come up with a set of criteria to determine who has this disease and who has something else going on with them.

I had a physiologist once explain it to me by saying that the "tender or trigger points" are like the engineering points on a building...they are what bears the weight and takes the load. If there is something going on with our bodies and how they work, these points become overworked, stressed, knotted and very TENDER.

I hope that helps somewhat?

Ingrid
  10. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Mine hurt all of the time. The trigger points vary depending on what is going on in with me. From if I haven't stretched out in awhile which is what is going on with me at the moment. Had a stressful event this week.

Now if I am touched hard on that area I will hurt so much. I almost screamed in the doctor's office.

I have been learning how to massage my tenderpoints through my doctor and it hurts but I feel a little better later on.

11. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Do a google search on "myofasical trigger points". They are different than tender points. From what you are describing and what I have read, it sounds like that is what you have.

There is another "thing" called myofasical pain syndrome (I think) that has "trigger points" that refer pain elsewhere when touched versus "tender points" that hurt where you touch.

Some of mine are like bruises and hurt when touched, some don't hurt unless touched. Here is a funny story for you. I was reading about tender points, etc and was thinking that many of them I do not have, like in my elbow.

So I started poking around and WOW! YOW! hey, I DO have one there and then my arm hurt for the rest of the day. I had to shake my head and laugh at that one. My husband is always saying, "if you are gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"! LOL
  12. libra55

libra55 New Member

I had 14 out of 18 on examination. You have to have at least 11 to be dx'd FM. the worst for me are the one near the elbow and the one in the fat pad near the knees.

they all have names. I don't know them. I did at one time but have forgotten.

If you google it will show a diagram of the 18 points labeled.

Michelle
    [This Message was Edited on 06/23/2006]
  13. reckabek

reckabek New Member

U said elbow triggers...i touched the inside and it shot nerve ending pain ouch....well i touch harder../...so is that em??? thanks beck
  14. reckabek

reckabek New Member

U said elbow triggers...i touched the inside and it shot nerve ending pain ouch....well i touch harder../...so is that em??? thanks beck
  15. Gelsey

Gelsey New Member

I was in here running a search on this.
    I was diagnosed, but my FM is secondary. The odd symptoms, which are also the common Chronic Fatigue ones, are what bother me the most. The stiffness and fog are really bad.
    I only have 8 or so points, but my doctor uses extremely minimal pressure. I see that the fingernail is supposed to be white when they press. I think she is using less, and noting it down if you feel anything from that.
    Wonder if that is possible?
  16. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I have the painful trigger points to .Right now the ones in my hips are really bad .

Feels like boils under the skin.
    But I also have what I call layers of pain at the same time all over my body.

Different types of pain .Everything from bruse like soreness to deep stabbing pain.And dont forget the flu like hurt all over.Sometime I can hurt with one kind but on really bad days everthing hurts.
  17. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Its kind of faulty, because your number of active tp's can vary from day to day.

It took me awhile to get a dx because it was about the 5th exam maybe when I had enough tp's for a dx. I'd get only 5 the first time, so they said CFS, but I don't lean on the fatigue side, more on the pain side, so I knew it was FM.

When they sent me to a Rheumy, where you can get an official dx that counts for disability filing, I made it count. I rode my bike uphill to the appt. w/ no painkillers and made sure I was good and beatup when I got there. I had 15/18 tht day, so I had my dx. When I travelled half a day to Toronto to an Env. clinic for an important disability dx, I was really rundown fromt he trip and staying overnight in a scented motel, so I had 11/18, just enough for the dx again.

It seems I have to be rundown to qualify my tp's and I have some tp's that are never active, even though I'm in pain everyday and have all the other symptoms. Mind you, when I went to an acupuncturist and she foolishly put the needles in half my tp's, like the webbing of my thumb, on my back and in the buttock ones (which are most often active) I was a waste case all the rest of the day and I didn't last 5 mins before I hollered at her to get them OUT OF ME.

So the dx of tp's is iffy, but its all they have.

Jeanne