Tender points vs. Trigger points

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Sep 15, 2002.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I know that in fibromyalgia, there are 18 standard "tender points." I understand that in myofascial pain syndrome, which often (but not always) is associated with fibromyalgia, there are "trigger points." My primary care doctor seems to think they are the same thing--that tender points just become trigger points if they start referring paing to other areas. I'm not sure that's true. It doesn't seem to fit with some of the things I've read.

I was diagnosed with fibro a few weeks ago, but I don't know whether I have myofascial pain syndrome. It seems to me that I get pain in areas that could be referrals from a MPS trigger point, but I'm not really sure I have the fascial problem. I don't seem to have tight, ropy fascia, at least not on a consistent basis. (My husband says that sometimes the cords on the sides of my neck are very, very tight and hard.)

Anyway, I'm still trying to figure out just what I have so that I can educate my doctors, since they don't really seem to know much more than how to diagnose fibro. Three different doctors have probed my tender points to either diagnose or confirm. I hope they had fun. It wasn't fun for me! My husband thinks all the pressing on the tender points might have triggered referred pain--as with a trigger point--because since my diagnosis, I've had a lot more symptoms, including many more sleep problems. Does that seem possible?

--Laura

2. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I know that in fibromyalgia, there are 18 standard "tender points." I understand that in myofascial pain syndrome, which often (but not always) is associated with fibromyalgia, there are "trigger points." My primary care doctor seems to think they are the same thing--that tender points just become trigger points if they start referring paing to other areas. I'm not sure that's true. It doesn't seem to fit with some of the things I've read.

I was diagnosed with fibro a few weeks ago, but I don't know whether I have myofascial pain syndrome. It seems to me that I get pain in areas that could be referrals from a MPS trigger point, but I'm not really sure I have the fascial problem. I don't seem to have tight, ropy fascia, at least not on a consistent basis. (My husband says that sometimes the cords on the sides of my neck are very, very tight and hard.)

Anyway, I'm still trying to figure out just what I have so that I can educate my doctors, since they don't really seem to know much more than how to diagnose fibro. Three different doctors have probed my tender points to either diagnose or confirm. I hope they had fun. It wasn't fun for me! My husband thinks all the pressing on the tender points might have triggered referred pain--as with a trigger point--because since my diagnosis, I've had a lot more symptoms, including many more sleep problems. Does that seem possible?

--Laura

3. shannon

shannon Guest

Hi laura I have cfs,fibro and mps. My doc seems to believe that they are all the same except a few things and one being that mps does infact have different tender points. He also said that mps does have a few different things and one being masses in areas of your body. Hope this is of help
  4. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

For a WORLD of information on CMP & FM go to:

www.sover.net/~devstar/

And definately buy her book(s)

They're GREAT!