Tender sore to touch feet and slightly swollen ankles

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joeb7th, Nov 19, 2008.

1. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

Excuse me for asking about this here but so many of you know so much about so many variable symptoms that people like us with these auto-immune diseases get. You get better information and advice here than most doctors give and it's given with much more empthay and kindness and patience.

For the last eight months I have been feeling a puffy soreness in my feet and ankles.
    I never had this before. I'm 57. At night I can't sleep because every position I place my feet hurts them. When ever they touch anything they hurt.

They are super sensitive and sore when touching anything. All I can do is keep tossing and turning and shuffling my feet all night!

I noticed that the very skinny ankles I have had for over 50 years are now slightly puffy looking espeically at night when I go to bed.

Besides adding just more unbelievebale suffering to my sad physical state this keeps me awake at night and is scarying me as I have read and heard many scary scenarios regarding your ankles and feet swelling and hurting like this.

Thi condition is getting maybe 2 to 3% worse every month or so it seems to me.

When I stand now I have to shuffle back and forth on my feet and ankles becuase they are so sore and tender feeling and puffy feeling and weak.

It used to be bad enough to notice at the end of the day...now I feel this from the minute I wake up. Not so bad, but noticeable in the morning...getting progressively worse as day wears on and just non-stop painful and exhausting at night.

I can't afford $40 co-pays but maybe once every few months now due to tiny SS check not paying even the basics...but I have scheduled a visit with a cardiologist over this because the things I have heard about this symtpom are so scary I figure what's another 40 in debt on top of tens of thousands?
    Thanks for any feedback.
  2. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

Feet are hurting more and more each day.

Hot,sore, tender...muscle cramps in arches.

What the heck is this? Can it be stopped?
  3. 3gs

3gs New Member

I can't really give you any advice as the last few months my feet and ankles are killing me. actually my hands also.
    Pretty much what you describe.

You didn't say if you have fibro or cfs. I have both plus more.Have seen pots on this here before.

Best bet is see your doctor. Do you see a Rhemy?

good luck

4. Engel

Engel New Member

It may be a part of the fms? I bring it up to all of my DRs and all they say is "drink more water" ... duh
  5. wendysj

wendysj New Member

I'm sorry you're in so much pain. This is a common problem with FM. However, this is also common in Diabetes patients and RA patients. (You didn't tell us if you have FM or the autoimmune disease you have.) I have FM/CFS and Type 1 Diabetes.

I had swelling in my feet and ankles because of bad veins in my legs. I wear compression hose now to help with it. Compression hose are expensive but you can buy the non-prescription kind much cheaper just to try out. If they help at all, you may want to talk to you doctors about getting a prescription.

Good luck,
  6. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

I have had this problem for quite some time now.

I wear the compression stockings when I am going to be on my feet for any lenght of time and they do seem to help at least in the swelling and they give me more energy in my legs. You can get inexpensive ones at the drugstore and even at Walmart in Dr.Sholes (spelling) they have the mild compression ones.

Some days when I get up, the bottoms of my feet feel like they are swollen and it is hard to walk on them and when I get home from work and take my socks off, my legs are so tender to the touch I hate to do it.

My doctor also said to drink more water and it will reduce the swelling but it doesn't seem to help. I have high blood pressure and my meds have a diuretic in them but I still have swollen ankles.

I know what you mean about paying the copay at the doctor visits then you add all the meds they want you to take and it costs so much.

Hope you are having a good night.