Tender topic

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LindZ_FolkZ, Jan 17, 2006.

1. LindZ_FolkZ

LindZ_FolkZ New Member

Hi all,

Just a quick question which is difficult for me to ask and I'm sure will be difficult for some to answer.

Does anyone else here have a problem with their sex drive?

I am living with the girl that I love, she's beautiful, perfect for me, we have so much fun together and I hope one day to marry her. However despite all of this I have next to no sex drive.

Typically for this board I am shattered all the time (physically and mentally) and am plagued by muscle pains and aches so that probably isn't helping much!

Anyway I just wanted to see if this is typical of CFS sufferers or not.

Thanks,
    Lindsay <-- In case you are all wandering. I am a guy... just with a girls name! :eek:)
  2. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

it is helpful to know that you are not alone. The longer I live with CFS/FMS, the less desire I have for sex.
  3. ~Sibyle~

~Sibyle~ New Member

I have almost zilch sex drive. I do it anyway for my hubby. That may not be so easy for a guy though. I do find that once I get doing it I usually really enjoy it.

One thing that returned my sex drive back to the way it used to be was Topamax. I don't know if it was the drug or that I wasn't in pain all the time but whatever it was worked.

Pain meds can also cause that because they kind of numb things.

HTH
  4. elsa

elsa New Member

One of the cornerstones of our illness is a very disrupted hypothalamus*pituitary*adrenal gland axis. One hormone goes and they all go.

One of the hormones effected in a major way is testosterone. This is true for both men and women. My baseline free testosterone was so low it was laughable, if it hadn't been so friggin' sad!

Low to no testosterone means low to no sex drive. Since around October 22nd, I have been injecting testosterone cypionate .... 1/4cc once a week. Big improvement! Took about a month I guess to come back alive, and continues to improve.

Testosterone will help more then sex drive .... it will help muscle pain as it gives you what you need to create new muscle. It also helps with sense of wellbeing ... I have read it referred to "God's natural anti-depressent". I don't know about that one, but all together, I am doing pretty well.

With us, addressing just one hormone is not effective. All of them are on a "loop" .... for the most part we need to address several hormones at the same time ... trying to bring the entire axis back into balance.

Feel better soon .... it's tough, but you are not alone. I'm glad you have a fabulous lady to share your life with.

Take care,

Elsa
  5. millennia

millennia New Member

My doctor put me on Elavil for the pain. It killed my sex drive. It is so hard when you're trying to start a life with someone and you don't even want them to touch you. It wasn't really helping the pain so I went off of it. You might try looking into the side effects of your meds (if you're taking any).
  6. LindZ_FolkZ

LindZ_FolkZ New Member

Yeah somone mentioned med side effects earlier too. I am not on any meds.

Well no prescribed meds.

I take paracetamol for the muscle pains when they hit and I take DHEA to help with the hormones and Melatonin to help me sleep. That's it though. Heh... seems quite funny saying that's all when that's like a handful of pills most days! Still to many by my reckoning :eek:)
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

and it put my sex drive in park.

It came back after I got off the drug. I also take a supplement which may be helping. Contains saw palmetto, pygeum, pumpkin seed, lycopene, and tribulus terrestis. Some supplements for men say "don't use if you have high blood pressure".

It's really a shame. This DD affects all aspects of our lives.

Good luck.