Tendonitis? Bursitis?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aberlaine, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

For about three months, I've had pain in my elbows. At first I just thought it was the tender points located there. But the pain is both on the inside and outside of my joint. If I hold my arms, palms up, and press on both sides of my elbows, I have pain both in the bony part of the joint and on the inside. When I rotate my arms, like opening a door handle, it hurts quite a bit.

And when I try to lift something with my right hand, the pain makes my arm weak, so I can't do the lifting.

Anyone else have these symptoms? Is it tendonitis? Bursitis? Related to the tender points? My doctor diagnosed it as "golfer's elbow", but it hasn't gotten any better. I have to wear an elastic "sleeve" around my elbow in order to keep the pain "at bay".
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

All the doc has done for you is say you have golfer's elbow and no meds, no other ideas what to do to help with the problem, other than the elastic sleeve?

I think I've seen football players wear those elbow sleeves in black, usually.

I have been told years ago I had bursitis of my right shoulder. It was frozen, but I have noticed the pain is coming back again and I wonder if it is going to freeze up again? Hurts me more when I'm laying on my side at night. Is so weak I can hardly push up with that arm to get out of bed.

I'd say what you have is more like tendonitis than bursitis. Did the doc take any x-rays? Just sort of strange to have it in both elbows at the same time.

I wish I knew what to advise you to do that would help you. Seems the doc should have done that.

Hope you feel better. Try Googling golfer's elbow and see if you don't get more info.

Hope you feel better.

Hugs,
    Faye
  3. unbalanced

unbalanced New Member

I have pain in my right elbow, & was tlod its the ulnar nerve (funny bone) rubbing on the bone, or being pinched. I was given this big ugly black brace to wear to relieve the achey pain. It doesn't help alot, so my kids play with it, my 5yr old wears it on her leg!!LOL, she looks so funny!! I suppose its doing me some good, keeps me laughing!! Seriously though, I would ask for x-rays!! I do get pain when turning knobs,opening jars,etc. Hope you figure it out, good luck!!
  4. bozey

bozey New Member

I have had golfers elbow for 2 years. I have a brace to wear also. Trust me, if you have a brace, please wear it when you do anything. It will help with the pain but mainly, it will help the elbow inflammation start to heal.

I had x-rays. I had several shots of cortizone over a years time. Each time, it would start to heal as long as I wore the brace. The brace is like a band that keeps the muscles from working above the brace so they can heal. I wore my brace for months at a time when I was in bad pain.

I have not had to wear my brace for a few months now. But, I make sure not to lift anything too heavy with that arm. If I start to feel even a little pain, I start wearing the brace again.

The Doc can do an uninvasive surgery, where, he makes a cut and moves the vein on the up side of the elbow. I know someone who had this done and they said it has been fine. I, myself, don't do surgerys unless it is totally necessary because I have RSD and it could take a long time for it to heal. I still have pain on the inside of my elbow like it is bruised if I push on it.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. I hope this helps you a little bit.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/27/2005]
  5. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

Bozey, guess I'll have to put my elastice sleeve back on. I wore it for a week or so, until my elbow felt better. Then I took it off. When it got worse, I didn't put it back on again.

Like you, I'm not into surgery - especially because my one knee replacement was a failure. No more doctors will get to cut me open, unless I have something life threatening.

Best to all,
    Nancy
  6. BethM

BethM New Member

you might want to check out the posts about Traumeel, a homeopathic remedy for soft tissue damage, such as tendinitis. I have chronic tendinitis in my hands and wrists, and have gotten some relief with the Traumeel. I've used the oral tablets and the topical gel.

My doc wants to do surgery on me, too, but I've refused so far. I allowed surgery on my right hand for tenidinitis, carpal tunnel and a 'trigger finger' two years ago, with fair results. However, like you, I've had it with surgery, had enough.

Good luck, keep posting about how you are doing,ok?

Peace,
    Beth.
  7. Musica

Musica New Member

some type of arthritis? Osteoarthritis? Rheumatoid arthritis? I feel like I'm starting to sound like a broken record about RA, but I went to my GP for two years complaining of inflammation here and there that he kept diagnosing as different types of tendonitis. Well, it could have been, but the last time was achilles tendonitis even though I hadn't been doing exercising or sports to warrant it. I finally went to a rheumy who dx'd RA. I suspect all these different "tendonitis" was the beginning of RA, since at the time I went to the rheumy, my GP was certain it wasn't RA.

For me, RA started with swelling in different fingers in both hands. However, at one point, one wrist felt like it was sprained although it wasn't. That feeling went away in about a week, but the other wrist had the exact same feeling for awhile. RA affects both sides of the body, usually simultaneously or closely so. So, having both elbows feeling like that at the same time could be that, or another kind of RA - or the FM. The trouble is, there are so many overlapping symptoms it is hard to know.

I hope your elbows clear up and don't end up being anything except a bit of overuse.