Tennis shoes....a good support shoe? Help pls. OT

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Jan 26, 2009.

1. I know this is fibro board, I hope it is ok I post this here. Besides having fibro, arthritis, etc. my feet are getting painful. I need a good support everyday shoe. I don't run, can barely walk lately, so what is the best tennis shoe . I have a 7 EE shoe, my feet are like duck feet, (husband always jokes I have duck feet) they spread out like a fan at the toe area, therefore need WIDE WIDE EE. I have to order them which I hate because of EE width, plus can't run around and shop due to this dd....anyone ?
  2. charlenef

charlenef New Member

I know jcpennys has sneakers that come that wide and are comfy the are blue and white air nike i just ordered them for my hubby I have them also but im no sure if the women come that wide but the mens do
  3. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

I've responded to so many of your threads, I'm wondering whether you are some long-lost relative!

I have an extremely wide forefoot (across the metarsals) along with high arches. In my case, it's not-quite club foot. As an infant, and until I was 11 yo, I needed specially built shoes even to be able to walk well, without constantly tripping. I also have a tendency to over-pronation, wear my shoes down on the knee edge of the heels.

Our family has probably put our podiatrist's kids through college, being that my kids inherited weird feet. If you have not consulted a podiatrist, I encourage you to do so. Some health insurances will cover limited direct podiatry services; other times you have to work through an orthopedist. Worth considering, if you are in pain.

For me, the best shoe would continue to be a custom-made. Starting at $500 a pop (2007 prices). But since I walk for exercise, I do break down shoes fairly quickly. And once the support starts to go, the pain comes back. Without proper shoes, I routinely suffer 4 different types of foot tendinitis, both feet. Nasty.

Can't afford the custom shoes. But I do fairly well with one particular athletic shoe, combined with full-length custom orthotics (inserts), which my insurance did cover 80% on. The athletic shoe I've worn for over a decade is New Balance brand. The style number started at 601, currently is a 620, although 608 and 609 are still somewhat available.

The shoe is a cross-trainer, and what makes it so special is "banana lasting." BL is a shoe construction term meaning there's a slight curve to the design, which accommodates a wide forefoot. Banana lasted shoes were more common in decades past, but they're hard to come by anymore.

I remove the liner that comes with the New Bals, and install my own insert. Even though I'm a woman, I wear the men's EEs because they fit better. New Bal does also have this style in women's. You'd be hard pressed to tell the guys from the gals by looking, it's just a matter of cut & fit.

The New Balance 609s I'm currently wearing were purchased at Famous Footwear, a discount store. I've also purchased "my shoes" at Nordstrom's, on their semi-annual sales, at a good price. Regular retail runs $59, but often I'm able to pick them up for $40. I go through 4 pair per year, because I walk every day for exercise, and also because, these are the only shoes I wear. I do have one pair of sandals I can stand for about 90 min. at a time, for dress occasions. But I'm fine with a fresh-looking pair of white athletic shoes. You can also find this style in all black, as well as a suede choc brown color, but those colors aren't as common when you buy on sale in a particular size. Maybe they can be special-ordered at Nordstroms.

Duck feet, huh? There's a Dr. Seuss book that starts, "I think that I have duck feet, and I can tell you why," that my kids used to chant at me when they were young.

There are specialty stores, in the bigger cities, that do cater to wide feet. I've shopped there, on occasion, but usually have purchased the same shoe ... at a higher price.

If you don't have custom orthotics, you will find most shoes are made more comfortable by the addition of a dept. store gel or foam insert, in the Dr. Scholls type section. If you are using an insert in an athletic shoe, remember to take out the factory insert.

Well, maybe you can take some New Balance 600 series for a spin & see what you think. Good luck. HTH
    [This Message was Edited on 01/27/2009]
  4. ChuckNBerkeley

ChuckNBerkeley New Member

Mine = 11EE's. Ran through many pairs running 10 thru 100 mile trail races. B4 CFS of course. Daily walker pair is 18+ years old with custom orthotics about 24 years old.
  5. astroherb

astroherb New Member

Check out I have had really good luck with almost all of their shoes as they only stock those that are kind to your feet. They also have a good selection of foot aides, etc. It takes a long time to get your order, but otherwise they do a very good job.
  6. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

with Reebock Princess shoes. come in black or white--they are a walking shoe. I've bought them at Penny's for around $ 40.00. I don't know if they come in your size but sometimes I see them in wide.

Right now I'm wearing Skechers--kind of a cross between a tennis shoe and a boot--got them because they have good traction on the bottom and I got them at Fashion Bug. They give me good support when I need to walk or stand.
  7. well I ordered 3 prs from zappos as they have free shipping both ways. Thats the problem I HAVE to order them as no one sells EE width in womens in stores. Their Wide is D. I ordered one asics and two new balance. So hopefully one works, the ones I have now are saucony but feel like there is no support. Thanks!
  8. By the way I had a good laugh, saying we might be long lost relatives! LOL! Maybe!

And custom made would be nice but omg who besides Donald trump could afford them! Where would you get them anyways custom made?