TENS Questions: Placement of Electrodes, Settings

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Jul 6, 2003.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I just received my TENS unit last week and have used it three or four times. It seems to be helping, but I'm not sure I'm putting the electrode patches in the right places or whether I have the width and frequency settings right. My PT just said to experiment, and that's what I've been doing with my husband's help, since I can't reach the places we think the electrodes need to go. But from one time to the next, it's hard to remember just where the patches were placed.

Also, I'm just guessing about the settings for width and frequency, and I'm not sure how long I should be wearing the TENS patches.

Any advice would be appreciated.

--Laura R.M.

[This Message was Edited on 07/06/2003]
  2. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

I found the smaller the patches the stronger the pulse.

I was definitely told NOT to keep the TENS unit on for more than 20-30 minutes at a time. And then wait a few minutes and use it again. Just what I was told. Either ask the PT or the supplier of the electrode patches about time thing. There can be different guidelines depending on what brand tens you are using or something.

I also had to have my husband put them on my back because I could not reach the areas they needed to be. You are in good company there. In addition, a supplier told me that keeping them in the refrigerator gave them a longer life.

I still have to play around with mine. Just when I think I have found the right place, I haven't. That may be an ongoing thing.

Lynda B.
  3. linminpin

linminpin New Member

I just started on mine about 2 months ago. I was told I could use it as often as I wanted and to move the electrodes around depending on just where the pain seems to be. I also had to get more rechargeable batteries because of using it for so long each day. I set mine so that I feel that steady "tingling" sensation and as someone else here suggested it seems to have to be increased as the day goes along. I think the TENS helps a "little"....so I'll use it but it certainly is a hassle to hook up...as you mentioned. The smaller electrodes seem to work better for me also. The large lower back one that is shaped like a large kidney bean can be very good...depending on my needs that day. I have so many sore spots however, it seems like I need about 10 more outlets and leads!!
  4. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

Thanks to all who have responded to this message so far. I really appreciate all the sharing of experience that takes place on this board. I have learned a lot from all of you, and I continue to consider this board a major resource for information about fibromyalgia as well as for support.

--Laura R.M.

5. lea

lea Member

Please make sure you don't place over the heart.
    hugs,
    lea