TENS Unit?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pookieruth, Sep 29, 2006.

1. pookieruth

pookieruth New Member

Hi All! Can anyone tell me about their experiences with a TENS unit? How effective is it? How expensive? How difficult to use? Will insurance help pay? Etc., etc.

Thanks, Lee
  2. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

It helped alot with the pain. Mine was around $7-800, but insurance will cover it. I couldn't keep the one I had...it was the hospital's...but I'm getting another one. I loved it!

They're very easy to use. Mine had four adhesive pads that you placed on either side of your spine/neck. (You could use just two if that's all you needed.) They were connected to a control unit that you use to control the intensity, time and type of feeling. (Sorry - brainfog!) That clips to your belt, and off you go!

I hope this helps.

God Bless.
  3. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

The first one was bought by my husband from his Chiropractoer for about $79.00 which was marked up for profit. His sister later bought him another one for about $60.00 with 2 more electrode attachments and more pulse variations.

We love ours and it does stop the pain more than anything else we've tried. Of course these are only small ones to be used at home and nothing near as strong as the ones used in Physical Therapy.

They are very easy to use and my husband will sometimes sleep with his. These use a 9v battery and the electrodes usually cost about $15.00 for 4. That price was what we paid our PT but they are more expensive if bought from a medical supply co.
  4. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

as I type.I know others only keep it on for specific amounts of time but I keep mine on for hrs. to mask the back pain I suffer from.It helps alot but when bending over it falls on the floor so I only fool with it if the pain is out of control.Going to the restroom is aggravating because mine has clips that hang on your pantwaist.Maybe they've improved the design from 3 yrs. ago?
  5. lin21

lin21 New Member

Yes,
    my doctor ordered one almost two years ago, i live with it everyday and it helps me alot. I became a "pro" at concealing my wires.
    The only thing negative I have to say is the patches are quite sticky and they irritate my skin and in the begin I would scratch until I bleed .
    Now I clean my skin with alcohl before and after and I haven't had any problems.
    They make the "good" days alot better.
  6. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

My phys therapist uses one on me twice a week. I really think they are a good idea. Some insurances will pay for them but my therapist told me that she can get me one for about $60 also I have seen them on ebay real cheap. Good luck...Mick!!
  7. pookieruth

pookieruth New Member

Oh My Gosh!! I was looking for TENS units on the internet and clicked on a site that was using them for sex toys!! OOPS - I guess I never thought of that!

Anyway - I see my Doc Tuesday, and will ask about it. It sure seems like a safe and relatively cheap way to control the pain. I can't take too much pain medication during my working hours, so this might be the way to go if there is one lightweight enough to wear at work.

Thanks,
    Lee
  8. jakeg

jakeg New Member

Just a little more info then what others have posted about tens units.

I have one and use it as prescribed by my rheumy and PT. They should be used in 15 minute intervals and never while you're actively doing things.

The more you use them the more your body will get use to it requiring the intensity to be increased, hence the 15 minute intervals. I use mine twice daily.

Never use them near water.

Please follow your doctors recommendations when using it. You also may want to consult with a PT on its proper use as they use these machines daily on their patients.

If they are not used properly you can cause severe muscle and nerve damage to yourself compounding your current health problems. Never use them positioned over your heart either.

When used properly they are a god send for people with constant pain. I would never give mine up.

Take Care

JakeG
  9. meme11

meme11 New Member

Hi, I am about to go to physical therapy for them to use the tens on me. I had a knee replacement in Jan and I have sensitivity in that knee and leg, to the point i cant stand for my pants to touch or the sheets at night. they say this is a rare thing for this area, it's called rsd. It has something to do with damaged nerves that occurred in surgery. It is aweful. They are going to try the tens on my knee Wednesday in Physical therapy. This is only experimental. They don't really know what causes it or a cure for rsd. It had to be me. Of all the freaky things to happen, like I don't have enough wrong. Meme
  10. I used a tens machine on my back and it helped alot. BUT make sure to get a script and they sent out a guy from the company come out, show me how to use it, how to put it on, how long etc. Really a nice guy too. My insurance pd. for it, thank goodness. They are expensive .
  11. pookieruth

pookieruth New Member

Thanks for all the replies! I will be starting physical therapy with both the TENS unit and aqua therapy, hopefully will not be doing both at the same time! My doc has already told me she wants me to have one at home, so I guess I will be learning all about this soon.

Thanks Again,
    Lee