TENS UNITS are Prescription Only Devices

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lendy5, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

TENS Units are Prescription Devices only and should not be purchased or given to another individual without a prescription.

TENS Units should only be obtained by a physicians precriptions and certain safety precautions should be followed prior to using this.

I recently had the opportunity to get one and I wasn't even allowed to leave the building without signing I was trained on how to operate it safely.

The following should not use any muscle stimulator:

Do not use electrical pads on or around Neck, Eyes or Heart
    Do not use while bathing, showering, swimming or sweating
    Do not use if you are pregnant unless physician approves
    Do not use if you have a pace maker or have a history of heart attacks or high blood pressure.
    Do not use if you have metal plates or pins
    Do not use if you have diabetes
    Do not use while sleeping

There are so many precautions to using this device and if you choose to use one please be careful and follow instructions.

Carolin

2. springlakeorphan

springlakeorphan New Member

I was given a TENS unit preciption 5 years ago following PT for a pinched nerve in neck. I also had to be trained on how to use it. It was expensive but my insurance company paid for the entire unit and followup replacement pads.
    I have read of many people using them and buying them over the internet, that I thought maybe the laws had changed. My doctor told me that a preciption was the law the same as for contact lens. But I know it is possible to obtain them without a script. Mary
  3. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

They aren't prescription only in the UK. Although they do come with these types of instructions, so it's true, people should always use caution with whatever treatments they are using.
  4. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

They aren't prescription in Canada either.