terible tenderness at fingernails base....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by homesheba, Feb 17, 2007.

1. homesheba

homesheba New Member

and top knuckes are buldging and hands becoming stiffer. i have gone up 2 ring sizes even!
    but what concerns me more is the soreness at base of nails... i cant see any infection, so is this just part of the fibro and arthritis? or rhumatoid arthritis?
    man! this is the pits.
    its like every week i see something else lousy happening on my body...gulp!
  2. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

Hi homesheba,

You should definitely have the rhumey check it out because it could be symptoms of arthritis, or other similar autoimmune diseases.

I will tell you that a year ago I was waking up with my hands swollen (especially fingers), so painful I couldn't move them for several hours in the morning. My hands were not numb, (although I did have a sort of electrical sensation in my fingers) but it seemed like I was trying to use somebody elses hands (perhaps due to the swelling). The base of my nails also hurt as well as my knuckles. I started sleeping with wrist braces on both hands and would rest them on ice until I fell asleep. I would wake up in the middle of the night and rip off the braces because they became uncomfortable. But it seemed to help quite a bit. Eventually most of the swelling went away. They are still about a ring size bigger (without weight gain). I also had towards the end of the "bout" different finger tips swell and were very hard...thought it was gout. Went away soaking in epsom salt, covering with neosporing and a bandaind (even though there was no open skin) after about a week.

Let us know how you do,
    Best wishes, Joann
  3. homesheba

homesheba New Member

thank you so much for the info. i am also sorry you had to go thru it.
    id love to spend more time on this site if the tips of fingers didnt hurt so.
    but i surely need to find out what to do from a rhumey someplace. thank you again.
  4. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Sorry you are in pain. I just typed in "fingernail" in the search option at the top of the page. Search by title, there are a lot of posts on this subject. I remember reading some of them before. Seems that you may find some good info. Hope you feel better soon. Kim :)