Termite treatments

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hermitlady, Oct 13, 2010.

1. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

We need to have our entire house treated for termites. I dread the thought if it, the prep, the chemicals, having to leave home overnight w pets and kids. UGH.

I haven't done much research yet, and wonder if anyone has dealt w this stuff. I've heard about non-toxic treatments and wonder if they really work. Do they always have to tent the house?

Having all of our belongings coated w poison freaks me out! Not to mention the fact that it will most likely make me ill due to the FM etc. Just another thing to worry about and dread, It never ends!!! Any input would be appreciated:)
  2. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

hi. I've been rather preocciupied with bedbugs (will do long post when I am totally sure of victory). Anyway, there are slow poisons that are supposed work by being carried back to nest. Maybe put poisons into pathways of termites and see what happens. "Phantom" can be ordered on internet(label says that only can be used by professional). Sulpher candles might work but have been outlawed in USA. Good Luck, your mr Bill

3. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

I wonder if the name is an euphemism for bed bugs or scorpions,etc. I hope not reduvid bugs that can carry an often fatal parasite called chagas disease. Maybe, one hundred years in future, new houses will be built on poles, on elevated steel platforms. Some recent invasive termites do seem rather nasty.

Hmmm, in one hundred years the USA may be the best housed poor people in the world.
    All the "well meaning" government incentives for encouraging home ownership may have fallen to the "law of unintended consequences". sigh. Cheers, your mr Bill

4. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Our house is about 20 yrs old and we just completed a 1000 sqft addition last spring.

I was told by a termite inspector that came out (had him come look at stuff when the walls were torn open during the addition construction) that termites travel in on new lumber and invade the existing structure. Also, they hang out in stacks of firewood. Ew. I guess they're just everywhere!

I still haven't scheduled anything yet, I'm not looking forward to dealing w it. The thought of everything being permeated w poison is not very appealing to me! Many items such as food and clothing, kitchen stuff, etc need to be bagged in special bags. Sounds like a ton of work, gee where will I find the energy to do that? Plus all plants, pets and people need to stay away for about 2 days, 1 night I think. Hmm, more fun.

We have found termites in several locations in the house, garage, outside deck area...so we will have to have the entire house treated....Before it starts collapsing on us! I don't know what type of termites they are, the insp didn't specify when he saw one.

Thanks for the input :)