Terrible aching in my legs......

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Oct 1, 2009.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

Hey all, I have had fibro for 11 yrs now, and I am 32. I just starting getting these horrible leg cramps/aching about a yr ago. What in the world do you do, those of you to ease the pain? It is so miserable. I stay under an electric blanket all night on high cause if I don't I ache worse. Also, if the weather is below 60 degrees out, my body cannot take it. I clam up and tense up all over and end up in a bad flare. Winter is on its way and I so dread it.

Thanks for any advice- Kriket
  2. loto

loto Member

Sorry to hear you have FM also. I hate it, how bout you???

Anyway, I get the cramps and aching in my legs too. Not long after I was diagnosed with Fibro, I complained of my legs to the neuro and he said it sounds like Restless Leg Syndrome. SO, he gave me some med for it, which I'm sorry to say I don't remember what it is because I don't take it anymore because it bothered my stomach and I don't get the achiness very much, or at least so much that it keeps me from sleeping.
    In fact, though the other nite I had the problem, and would have taken a flexeril, but it was so late and they make me groggy the next morning.
    So, I just had to get on my couch and practically sleep sitting up.

But, I don't know what else to tell you, have you tried soaking in a hot bath, or are you tolerable to muscle relaxers? They do help me, and if I take one early enough in the evenings I don't get so much grogginess the next morning.
    I know it's so frustrating. Another thing to maybe try is stretching each nite before lying down?

I too, dread the coming of winter. Hope I helped in some way for you, and didn't drone on and on, I'm kind of in a brain fog this morning.

Take care
  3. shartau

shartau New Member

from beer wine making store.

Mix in water - juice.

Article in old CFIDS Journal - misplaced
  4. ggks

ggks New Member

Kriket, I know just what you mean "Aching in legs" Mine are the same way. All day long. When it really gets bad I take Ibuprophan. It helps a little bit. Having a flare doesn"t help a bit. ggks
  5. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I use Magnesium for muscle problems and my doc gave me Flexeril. If I take one Flexeril at night, I think I sleep better. It can make you feel fuzzy the next day, though.
  6. astroherb

astroherb New Member

My legs are usually the part of me that hurts the worst from fibro. I don't know if it is the same as your pain as you mentioned cramping. Mine is more of a deep to the bone heaviness, aching, painful to the touch, etc.

Anyway, I have had really good luck with magnesium, malic acid and MSM. You may no notice a difference for a few weeks, but once it kicks in you might notice a big difference. I also put epsom salts (which is magnesium) in a long, soaking bath when it gets particularly bad.

I also take flexeril at night. It helps me sleep and definitely relieves the pain somewhat. I have found that if I take an herbal sleep aid with only 1/2 tablet of flexeril it works well and doesn't cause the next day drowsiness.

Hope something helps for you.

7. jole

jole Member

My main pain is in my neck, shoulders, head....and the exact same leg pain you describe! Like you, I absolutely cannot deal with cold weather. Even riding in the car with the airconditioner on in the summer causes my legs to hurt terribly! So I ride in the back seat. In the winter, I have a heated throw I use both in the house and in the car.

My bed is my refuge, with it's electric blanket...which helps, but does not take away all the pain. I have restless leg syndrome....this is not the same. It's not the jerking and twitching...it's constant pain that doesn't leave, with muscles in my thighs that tighten and knot. Sometimes it feels as though it's past the muscles and into the bones. It's hard to walk, two steps are as bad as a block.

Muscle relaxers do not help me. I also am on a liquid mag/calcium supplement, and take twice the suggested amount. It does not help either. I don't know the answer. Neither do any of the docs I've gone to. Meds/supps and I do not get along due to allergies, so hopefully something will help you.

I do okay in the summer, sitting on the porch with the sun on me. Otherwise, the pain is bad. I feel so sorry for you....this is so horrible, and many people cannot understand this. Wishing you well........and hoping you find answers............Jole
  8. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I had two types of pain....muscle pain-feels like my muscles and tendons are too short behind my knees and someone is pulling them....it burns...and bone pain-feels like deep ache in my bones

I used to have this on a regulary basis until i got on the fentynal patch....now i get it off and on....with fall/winter weather ( i live in northern MN-terrible place for fibro) or if I overdo it and things get ugly....i am homebound/bedbound most of the time anyways...

nothing seems to stop the bone pain when it comes on....just waiting it out....

the patches just have decreased the frequency

going on the patch is a big deal....i hear they are terrible to wean off from and i am scared for when/if that happens to me....so, if you considered it, do some research and some thinking....

i hope you find relief
  9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

ilovepink, please be careful of the fentanyl patches as sometimes they can release too much fentanyl, which is dangerous. Someone, sorry can't remember who, on the board was posting this information and probably knows more about this than I do.

I was given it years ago during an especially bad flare. I could not get the patch stay on. It did take the pain away but was so out of it, I could not get out of bed. I was on the 12.5 mg. patch which I believe is the smallest dose.

I get the bone pain, the deep ache. Even with medication it never goes away completely. I also have RLS and have taken Mirapex as needed which is not very often as the clonazepam usually takes care of the RLS. I also get it in my lower arms. When I was anemic, it became much worse but anemia does not cause RLS. It is neurological.

I think some people use Requip(?).

My stomach could not tolerate the magnesium. Sometimes Epsom Salts help but it is only temporary.

10. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

I also get these horrendous leg cramps.You have to turn your toes up towards you when they start...... it really does help.

The aches are another thing!!
    I always say it is like running a marathon where your legs are in such agony at the end....... but your legs cannot stop running!
    But you are only sitting on the couch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I rub muscle heat creams into my legs and rest....it is all I can do.And use microwave heat pads and blankets.

I too dread the winter time....it has gone real cold here in UK and I have started to get the pains already.I actually wear Mens THERMAL long johns under my pants and hats/scarves/gloves are an absolute nesseccity(sp)in the autmn/winter here in UK.

I hardly ever venture outdoors once the weather has turned because I just cannot cope with the cold.

Sometimes I have to wear hats indoors because my head is freezing lol.

I hope you find some relief Kricket..........STAY WARM!!!