TERRIBLE dry skin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by clueless, Aug 15, 2003.

1. clueless

clueless New Member

I have such dry skin!! On the tops of my feet and in the bend of my ankle and up my legs to my knee I swear it feels like alligator skin!! I use "eucerin" which seems to help the most. Does any one have a better solution for me?Thank you! Clueless
  2. paula45

paula45 New Member

I've recently been diagnosed with lupus as well as FM and have developed a rash on my arms and legs. I went to another message board and found a combination that helps me that lots of people there are using. Dove Nutrium body wash (it's terrific) and right after Jergens Skin Smoothing lotion. The wash is very moisturizing and the lotion helps to exfoliate the skin. Maybe worth a try? Good luck.
    Paula
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have low thyroid, which can cause dry skin, but I take Synthroid for it. This time of year, I'm inside all the time with the A/C on and I think that's part of it.

I have those gloves I put on and scrub the dead skin off in the shower, but withing a day, my legs are all dried up looking again, even with lotion.

The alligators down here won't attack me because they think I'm one of them :)

Love, Mikie
  4. Aeryn

Aeryn New Member

I get really dry skin in the wintertime (cracking and bleeding dry) and the only thing that helps are oils made for the skin or Burt's Bees products. Normally, I use Kiss My Face Olive Oil lotion and that is good, but it won't hold up to the dead of winter. The oils you can get at any health food store. They come in all sorts of scents or unscented. Your skin will just drink it up. Burt's Bees products tend to be a little thick so they will also work double time on really dry skin. (They have a new face cream though that is very light and doesn't bother my sensitive skin).

Good luck! A
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'll check out the bee stuff. I've seen it in the healthfood stores. I have to be careful because of the Guai.

Love, Mikie
  6. healing

healing New Member

a prescription application called LacHydrin. I don't know the implications for guai but it is the very best thing I've ever used for my dry skin.
  7. Sandy114

Sandy114 New Member

Clueless: I also have severe problems with dry skin on my feet and legs. A couple of years ago, I found a wonderful cream in the drug store that I highly recommend. The name is Anastasia Marie Diabetic Pure Skin Therapy Diapedic Foot Cream. I hope that you will try it. I also put it on my arms and legs. It's great. If you can't find it in the drug store where you live, the Customer Service phone number is 800-479-5232. They will ship it. Let me know if you get it and how you like it.

Sandy114
  8. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

Dermatologist said never use soap. This means anything with Sodium Laural Sulphate (spelling?) which is what makes most soaps suds. I use Noxema or Burt's Bees Orange Essence cleanser on my face, and on my body when I shower I use Cetaphil Lotion. It doesn't suds at all, but you will get clean! LOL Also have tried the new Aveno shower liquid and it seems to be ok.
    It's worse in winter, so then, after shower, while still damp, I use Burts' Bees vitamen E Bath oil - I just put a little on my hands and rub it on.

But, the thing that has helped me TONS is a product called Camille Beckman - their Glycerine Hand cream. I get it in the 3 lb. tub - it's about $25 but goes a long long way. This stuff is incredible. I use it year round. I started out using it before I went to bed each night. Now I am down to every other night. You can do a search for Camille Beckman and Tahoe and you'll find a place that sells their products and has great service. They have body lotions and so on, but they are not enough for my alligator skin, so I use the hand cream all over my body. Silky smooth now.

My skin is unbelievable it is so dry, and this Camille Beckman product has made is soft as can be. I no longer leave a halo of dry skin on my sofa, my desk etc.

My Ex had Psoriasis really bad. His skin was a mess. He used Eucerin - the one in a tub, but also used Crisco. I am not kidding! It was recommended to him by his Dr. It does work, but it's kind of hard to get smoothed on.
  9. Aabit

Aabit New Member

hello, clueless.
    I have eczema on my feet top and bottom, the dryness from this is soo annoying, I use a product called gentle naturals baby eczema cream, I buy mine at target but have seen it at walmart as well, this cream is the first one I have ever used that didnt hurt me good luck
    Melenda
  10. MJJBunny

MJJBunny New Member

Geeze, I've been using this stuff for two years and it is really wonderful. After reading the name here and having it sound familiar, I had to go look at the jar just to make sure it was the same thing.

Just last week I was scratching my arm so much that it was flaking and I put this cream on and it completely stopped itching. I really should use it more often.

You can usually find it in small gift stores (at least that's where I get it) and I think you can find it online too. Plus it comes in several different fragrances.
  11. Suzan

Suzan New Member

Using a scrub I make with sea salt and olive oil. I make batches and keep them in tupperware in the shower. Rub on , shower off. Then for the persistant areas I use generic vaseline. Neither is expensive and both work well!