Terrible FMS flare due to seasonal allergies??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by donna13210, Apr 25, 2011.

1. donna13210

donna13210 Member

I was wondering if any of you have ever experienced a bad flare due to seasonal allergies??

I have mild seasonal allergies, and every 1-2 years I get hit with a bad allergy attack (sinuses packed, stuffy or runny nose, etc). This year, however, my allergy attack was accompanied by aches & pain, the likes of which I haven't experienced in years! (my normal, everyday fibro pain has been somewhat alleviated by some meds). I was hurting so bad, I just wanted to scream. The worst pain was my neck, back, and RIB CAGE all the way around. The allergy attack lasted about a week, and the extreme achiness/pain lasted almost two weeks. In fact, I still don't feel like I'm back to my "normal" level of everyday pain.

You're probably wondering if what I had was actually a cold or the flu. I sincerely believe the head congestion was due to allergies, because when I blew my nose, (sorry to be gross), the mucous was perfectly clear, just as with my previous allergy attacks. I did not have a fever, chest congestion or cough.

Thanks for listening!
    Donna M
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We are entering our rainy season here and it rained last night. It must have brought down a lot of pollen as everyone at this morning's condo mtg. was congested. I woke with a stopped-up nose and my legs hurt like hell. Allergies always cause a flare for me. Our illnesses are immune and when our immune systems are busy making antibodies to allergens, it makes us worse.

It took Sudafed, Nasacort and two Excedrins, plus two cups of coffee, just to get going. Now, I'm shaky from all the caffein. Oy!

Love, Mikie
  3. kbak

kbak Member

Until a couple of yrs. ago we were in a long term drought here in WY. I had zero problems with my allergies at that time. The last couple of yrs. our weather has done a big turn around and we're getting a large amount of moisture, and a large amount of allegy producing plants. I have been in allergy hell! This spring is no exception. I've been fighting terrible allergy headaches, and so is everyone around me. Of course this just makes my CFS ten times worse. Allegra helps some but does nothing for my increased pain. It's always something, huh!

4. KerryK

KerryK Member

There is new evidence that mastocytes are overexpressed in the skin of FMS sufferers. That could well be the connection to allergies. Just google fibromyalgia and mastocytes or mast cells to see articles.
  5. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hi Donna!

I live in a very dry climate and have allergies in the spring and fall. I have definetely noticed that when it rains or the weather changes drastically that my fibro flares up too. Believe me, you are gonna get a lot of replies on this one!! Hope you feel better soon,

Julie ( Earthdog )
  6. donna13210

donna13210 Member

Thank you all for your replies. Everything you guys said makes sense. I am still aching more than normal, but my sinus issues are still here also. I plan to look into the supplements one of you mentioned, also.

I wish "clear sinuses" to all !!

Donna M.