Terrible hand cramps

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kellyann, Feb 25, 2007.

1. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Hi,
    I was washing dishes yesterday, I'll admit I was behind and they had piled up quite a bit, but my hand all of the sudden got the worst cramp starting near my wrist and shooting up through the middle of my palm.

It still hurts this morning. It hurt so bad I had to stop what I was doing and just stood there bawling my head off.
    Does anyone else get these awful cramps in their hands?

This isn't the first time I've done this. My daughter thinks I just don't want to do the dishes, duh, I have to hold the dishes on the middle of the sink to wash them because my hands are so weak anymore.

Maybe I need physical theraphy to gain muscle strength back, I don't know. I know my hand will start to cramp if I play my guitar more than a few minutes, or sew on a quilt for very long at a time. I hate it so bad. I feel so weak.

Every knuckle also hurts and my hands get burning hot to the touch. I can't even open a can of soda anymore without intense pain.

Anyway, I was just wondering if this sounds normal for FM,
    although I also do have chronic lyme disease which could account for some of it.

Anyway, if you are still reading this, thank you my dear friend,as this board has been a comfort to me for many years now. God Bless you and may you suffer no pain today!

Your Friend,
    Kellyann
  2. jmq

jmq New Member

Yes, it has happened. The severe cramps only a few times but almost every night and morning my entire hand hurts to the bone. I just keep rubbing them and nothing works unless I take a Tramadol..that will take the edge off. I only have FMS so I just assumed it was another lovely symptom to live with. I hope to hear from others about it. Thanks for posting the question
    jmq
  3. MamaR

MamaR New Member

Yes...I get this so often. It is probably another FM symptom. I have actually dropped things. The pain is awful and can come on suddenly for me. It lately has been worse in the area above my thumbs going upwards towards my wrists. It seems to lock up with severe pain. I know that I have osteoarthritis, but this is terrible. I am going to tell my doctor on next visit. Maybe you should talk yo the doc about it too.
    God blees you....Mari
    [This Message was Edited on 02/25/2007]
  4. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I suffer the hand deal in both hands and wrists. Washing dishes is a nightmare and I have to be really careful with glass or china. I have started using paperplates when I can or disposable micro dinners. I also have little grip and drop things. A couple of years ago I dropped a pyrex (glass) casserole (full of good food) trying to lift it out of the oven to the stovetop. I have dropped other items too.

Another thing that is really difficult is folding laundry. It is very painful to do those hand motions (epecially folding washcloths).

I also walk with a cane and guess what? I cannot walk (far)now because of the pain in my hands. Geeesh.

Typing can be difficult. I just go slow. Writing is nearly impossible :-( My fingers are very painful also.

I got my hair whacked off really short becausee of the pain to brush and blow dry and curl. :-( But it actually looks darn good. I like it. I also had to quit coloring my hair due to sensitive scalp issues (may also be FMS or MCS related?).
  5. Shalala

Shalala New Member

Is this Tramadol you mention OTC or RX?

Thanks ... my hands are realllllly bad. They even hurt when I wake up :-(
  6. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I am seeing a Neurologist March 1st and will mention our hand issue and see what he says.
  7. jmq

jmq New Member

Tramadol is a Rx. If you put it in the subject box of this message board, you will see alot about it.

Good Luck
    jmq
  8. kellyann

kellyann New Member

My hand is still so sore!
    It does not seem to want to let up today! I found one of my elaastic gloves, you know the kind, made for use while crafting and such. It helps. I also have an awful ache in my shoulder, which doesn't help matters.

I am so happy you all answered my post! You all are great friends! You don't know how much you all mean to me.

MamaR, I know what you mean about dropping things, I do that all of the time. It seems like I am not strong enough to hold on to anything any more. Once the cramping starts my hand just locks right on up too.

Shalala, Washing dishes is my worst nightmare also. I hate it. I have well water, and no water pressue to speak of, so no dishwasher. Let me know what your neourologist says!

tmq,my hands also hurt all the way down to the bones. It doesn't seem fair does it? It makes you wonder how much pain one person can stand doesn't it?

Renea, the pain does seem to shoot everywhere. Maybe it is a deep spasm causing the cramp to stick? Honey, I so sorry you have the same thing going on in your feet also. That has got to be so terrible for you.