Terrible Stiffness after sitting or laying down?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Sep 15, 2005.

1. I feel stupid when I go out and have to stand for awhile before walking as I get sooo stiff and sore its hard to walk. Is this part of this dd or something else? Anyone else get this?
  2. 123sandra

123sandra New Member

I even get stiff standing!! Especially if the bus I'm waiting for is late!! It is part of the DD.
    You are not alone!!
    LOL and Hugs
    Sandra
  3. pam112361

pam112361 New Member

It's the norm for me. I do have days that are worse than others but most days I'm pushing myself up and out of bed and then standing there, or I'm pushing myself up and out of my chair at work and then standing there (not that great on my arms either). You get the picture. It's a real pain (pun intended). Best Wishes!

Pam
  4. I am not alone then, (not that I want anyone else to feel like this) I feel like I am 100 yrs old, and try to look normal standing there so stiff. I just came back from a lunch with friends and OMG I felt like everyone was staring at me. I hate this DD!
  5. bigmh

bigmh New Member

I always tell people that I hope I am not as old as I feel (I'm 48 but feel 85!!!!). I am self-conscious about my stiff walk, but it takes a while to loosen things up.

bmh
  6. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I have a worse time with the sitting thing. If I sit for more than 20 minutes or so - I can't get out of the chair without a lot of effort - or I get up and can't get my legs to move, sometimes they even buckle up on me. It is worse in the evening.

Standing for long periods is not fun either. What it bothers most is my back.
  7. and when I go to get up OMG then try to walk, between my feet and legs OUCH! My rheumie told me the worst thing a person with fibro can do is sit or lay around as you will feel worse. I tend to agree, but sometimes you just get plain tired and aomwrimwa juar need to sit awhile.
  8. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

Hi butterfly and all,

I am so stiff and sore when I wake up and get out of bed. It's so bad that I'm a little clumsy trying to walk and get my bearings.

I usually take tramadol and put a heating pad on my back for about 30 minutes before I actually get ready for the day.

It helps a lot.

I'm still a bit stiff and sore when I get ready but nothing like I am when I first get up.

Chin up,

Kim
  9. dirtydogg

dirtydogg New Member

I have had stiffness for a number of years.
    Riding in the car especially for 30 min or longer
    Standing in line 10 min or longer
    First getting out of bed
    Sitting at computer for over 10 minutes.
    I have Fibro. and I noticed that it is worse if I wear cheap shoes. I do have flat feet so I wear ugly thick soled track shoes most of the time. I also notice weather changes make this stiffness worse. I am taking antimflammatory and when it gets really bad a muscle relaxant.

Hang in there. Moving does help but it sure does hurt.
  10. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I'm almost embarassed to walk in public anymore as I am so stiff that I look as though I'm jerking around like a fool.

My husband dropped me in front of a store the other day and we'd been riding so long that all I could do was stand there for couple of minutes. My legs would not go at all!!!

I've also discovered that I cannot run anymore. My muscles are in such weird condition that I can't run. What if there is a fire or something? I guess I'll just burn up.

I don't exactly know what to do other than stretches. I try to stay on my feet most of the day walking around the house, and I thought that would certainly be enough walking, but if I'm still for more than a minute or two it's like I never walked at all!!

abbylee
  11. I know what you mean, my husband drops me off also, and I try to hurry so as not to hold up the other cars behind, but I can barely walk at first. I hate it so much. Usually as soon as I get a cart I am much better, probably because I feel more secure and sturdier.
  12. fivesue

fivesue New Member

In the morning, I feel like I'm 90! Then as I get moving, I feel a bit better. But, if I sit and do something, when I get up I am stiff and sore again. If I take a nap in the afternoon, I am stiff and sore again.

I went to an exercise (non-aerobic) class yesterday, and as we had to stand for a long time, my feet became like boils! Need to make sure I don't stand still too long.

Anyway, seems like you are amoung a group here. I'm sorry...it is hard to deal with, don't you think?

take care!
    Sue
  13. spasco

spasco New Member

When I "get up" in the morning, I have to go get some tea and something to eat, then go back to bed for 1-2 hrs, letting all pills take effect before I can reasonably function. If I get right up and get going, I feel absolutely horrible all day. I get weak and have alot more pain.

When I stand up sometimes I also have to stand there for a couple of minutes before I can walk. It ain't an easy road for sure.

God bless! Stephanie
  14. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

You mentioned a hearing where you dont' know how you'll keep still. My advice is don't even try, let them see how you really are all the time.

When I had my 2nd dis. tribunal hearing, the one that I finally won, I was the same way. I've always been a fidgeter, maybe not quite to the point you are. But I got up frequently and excused myself for needing to move because I was getting too stiff, lots of times I paced the room. It was easy to tell when i got up sometimes you could almost hear that audible creak of tortured muscles that had stiffened up, and then those first few steps where you couldn't walk normal if someone put a gun to your head.

I was scatterbrained while answering questions. Often overanswering and going off on tangents, often forgetting the original question. They often had to repeat them several times, sometimes rephrase them so I could get it. And by the end of the long over 3 hr meeting, I ws noticably exhausted. I sure wasn't faking it, but this all went in my favour, becaue their biggest argument before was I had an extensive skillset that they felt should have enabled me to work from home. I could explain to them till I was blue in the face why this wasn't possible, esp. w/ such chemical allergies, but they got to see it first hand.

Good luck w/ your meeting. Let it all hang out, they'll get it if they have half a brain and an ounce of compassion.

Original stiffness question:
    Yep, me too. My energy often exceeds my muscle's ability to keep up. It's not so much while I'm still going, it's when I stop that the big pain and stiffness set in. Typical fibro.

Jeanne
  15. orachel

orachel New Member

I literally can't sit for more than 10-20 mins, or stand for more than 5-10 mins w/out CRAZY stiffness that leads to worse and worse pain if I don't move. I've found I need to "shift" postion at least every 10 mins usually in order to get thru any position! Hoping this gets better soon...
    Also, I almost always have to stand slowly and "steady" myself against a wall, or holding a chair or something and flex on knee/ankle then the other before walking. Otherwise, not so good results! And even then I have to "hobble" most of the time while walking (even with v frequent rests against things!) bc of pain in hips/knees. I just turned 30, and some dude at the library (young little punk! LOL) asked me why I didn't buy a cane!!! I almost started bawling on the spot, but the kinda sad thing is that he's sorta right! What a mess! LOL

Happy trails.
    Rachel
    [This Message was Edited on 09/16/2005]
  16. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

fibrobutterfly:
    It happens to me all the time.
    No, you are not alone with this.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  17. abbylee

abbylee New Member

Have you tried to run? The other day I decided to see if I could run as I'm having so much trouble walking, and I couldn't do it. Not at all.

When running, my legs must be raise differently, and the "steps" are different. I couldn't run even 4 step. It's almost as though my legs didn't know what to do.

I guess if there is a fire or other reason to get away fast, I'll have to call a cab!!!

abbylee
  18. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

that kid to say. I feel so sorry for you young girls....that you already have this. It's bad enough for us older ladies to put up with it.

Yes, stiffness is really bad in the mornings or when you have been sitting a while. I try to keep moving all day to keep the muscles lose. I use a heating pad for about an hour before I get up out of bed. Then I stretch my legs while sitting on the bed.
  19. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I agree stretch before you get out of bed then take a hot shower, shift around a lot when you are driving. stretch when you get out of the car and when you stand up. Stretch before you get out of bed. Try taking fish oil. Even though I have been getting better stiffness is still an issue. Stretching really helps me. Lynn