Terrified of dentist, TMJ issues gap in teeth

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Okay, another thing to be afraid of, dentistry. I have FM, migraine headaches, and the dreaded TMJ or TMD. For those of you not familiar with TMJ, it is short for tempormandibular joint disorder, in other words, I feel a lot of discomfort and tightness in my jaw, mouth, the area below both ears, not fun.

I have a gap between my teeth. Not the front two teeth, but the one on the left of my front teeth. Hard to explain, but it is a gap that I have always been self concious about.

I have never had "good" teeth. I had braces when I was 12 to 15, then wore a retainer for about 2 years. My teeth stayed together after wearing the retainer, but only for about 5 years, then the gap appeared.

Long story short, I have been reading about dental implants for a single missing tooth, which I believe I have ( it doesn't look that bad, but noticeable if you really look). Anyway, the thought of "oral surgery" has me spinning. I can handle novacaine and getting cavities filled, but even that flares up my TMJ and interestingly enough, it flares my FM and for weeks, but at least I an not put out by anesthesia.

Being put to sleep for dental issues, or any other, fills me with terror. I do have a good dentist, but I have not seen him in quite a while. I could discuss alternatives to a dental implant, but I am not sure if there are any. I did some research on bridges, but that was all. My problem is not that bad to get a partial denture either. I feel stuck here, and have avoided the dentist (like I do doctors, LOL).

Any suggestions? I work in a hospital, and have known people who have had so many problems with anesthia, I just an too afraid. Hugs, Chelz.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Why would you be put under for dental surgery? I've had a couple of procedures done and I have always been fully awake for all of them.
  3. ruby711

ruby711 New Member

I do not have tmj but I did have a dental implant done without being put to sleep or even sedated. It was not bad at all. It went smoothly. I just was not able to take the keflex but did take a different antibiotic that I do tolerate well. The procedure was easier than having a root canal done.
  4. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Dear Chelz,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having dental issues. It is esp. hard when you have a fear of going to the dentist and to know that you will have a flare with the FM afterwards! I really feel for you. Is this something that you feel that you have to do right now? Maybe you could just make an appt. to see your dentist to discuss options. I would also tell him about your fears and maybe even print what you wrote in your post to really explain how you feel.

I'm sure your dentist will be able to come up with an alternate plan that will be easier for you esp. when you tell him about all of your issues. I don't think that this is something that would require being sedated so try not to worry so much about that. The only time that I was even "lightly" sedated and still somewhat alert was when I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled at once! I remember feeling quite relaxed and it did'nt hurt a bit, just some pressure when the dentist pulled them out. I too have had braces and a retainer and now have crooked teeth on the bottom. It's not very noticeable so I don't plan on correcting it. I have had 8 root canals and several deep root cleanings and did'nt even experience much pain. The only thing is they had to give me a lot of extra novacaine, enough to put down a horse, lol! I have an excellent dentist, Thank God and he knows about all of my DD's and is very understanding and gentle. If you already like your dentist then I'm sure he will do everything he can to calm your fears.

Try not to worry so and I would'nt go on the internet to do research anymore for I think that makes the fears even worse! I know it does for me! I was recently dx'd with Bipolar II and when I was constantly checking out sites on the web it made me even more scared and so I stopped. I finally told my psych about my fears and he reassured me and put my fears to rest. He even explained in detail and answered all of my questions. He even loaned me a book that was a reference book that he used of about 2,000 pages and said just return it when I see you in 2 weeks! I said, how about a year,lol! I actually just looked up some things here and there to help me and my family better understand bipolar.

Sorry for rambling but when I saw your post I felt compelled to reply. Having all of the DD's we have it's very common to have a lot of fears so just know that is very normal. Take care and keep us posted. I'm very interested to hear what your dentist has to say! In the meantime I would try to do calming things so you don't obsess about this so much. I know easier said than done. When I am stressed or scared I read inspirational books, go out to my garden and just enjoy nature or talk to a close friend or family member.

Good luck to you,
    Peace, Julie
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I agree with others that I'm not sure you have to be put out for that procedure.

I can't stand the dentist. I have very sensitive teeth and well, as a matter of fact, I'm going in tomorrow for who knows what.
    Sat. I developed the WORST mouth pain ever. I couldn't even pinpoint a tooth, my entire left side of my mouth was killing me, all the way up to my cheekbone, then almost my eye. I had an ice pack on my cheek all day/night, used anbesol, salt water rinses and then found an antibiotic that my dentist had given me six months ago as an "in case' type thing. thankfully I started those asap and today I am feeling less pain.

I DREAD tomorrow because I don't want anyone even touching my teeth. The bottom teeth now hurt and I'm sure I'm in for a long haul of subsequent appointments. I do not numb up easily and I always feel like the dentist can't believe that after all the novacaine I can still feel something.

Wish me luck. Definitely talk to your dentist about the implant - I don't think you need to be put under.

6. kezzluvscats

kezzluvscats New Member

I had some cleaning,buffing and mouth gaurd fitted.. For three days i had full body pain. I could feel every muscle, bones and nerves. i do think now it was worth it as my teeth are good for a few years-the mouth gaurd well, i think my dog hid it or disposed of it-she use to do that with my things off my bedside table.
  7. ltzoomer

ltzoomer New Member

my husband has had several implants done and each time he was just fine. You will be too. Talk to your dentist about your fears. He may be able to help. Good luck.
  8. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hi Itzoomer!

I just wanted to say welcome to Prohealth! This msg. board is so wonderful! There are lots and lots of people on this board and they are very caring, giving individuals. You will find that if you post a topic that you are new here you should get many replies! I have recently had some major problems with my health and have found sooooooo much comfort and understanding here. Again, welcome and feel free to post and let us all get to know you! I personally have many DD's (damn disease's), fibro, CFS, panic disorder, IBS and Bipolar II. Hope to hear from you soon,

Faith, Peace and Healing, Julie
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Have a missing tooth or just a wide gap between two teeth. If it's a gap, a cosmetic dentist can bond both teeth to close the gap. There is also now some kind of device, we used to call them flippers, which contains the tooth and you just put it in your mouth. Katie Couric has no front uppers due to a swing accident in childhood. She has a flipper and you can't tell.

Good luck to you at the dentist.

Love, Mikie