Test for Growth Hormone Deficiency

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dara, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Dara

Dara New Member

For those of you who are interested I had recently posted a message regarding the diagnostic test I will be having on 9/6 to test for growth hormone deficiency. I just received an informational packet on it and thought you might be interested in some of what it says. "About the test - The Arginine/GHRH stimulation test is used as a diagnostic test for growth hormone deficiency. Arginine, a normal amino acid in your body, stimulates growth hormone secretion. GHRH causes growth hormone to be released by the pituitary gland. What to Expect - "The nurse will place a needle in your arm for drawing bood and giving the Arginine and the GHRH. You will have blood drawn at intervals during the test to measure growth hormone". I was told the test would last approximately 2 hours, nothing to eat or drink after midnight the night before. There is also a sketch of the human anatomy indicating the different major endocrine glands. Starting at the top they are the hypothalamus, pituitary gland, parathyroid gland, thyroid gland, thymus, adrenal gland, kidney, pancreas, and so on. I will let you know after Friday what I find out.

Dara
  2. Dara

Dara New Member

For those of you who are interested I had recently posted a message regarding the diagnostic test I will be having on 9/6 to test for growth hormone deficiency. I just received an informational packet on it and thought you might be interested in some of what it says. "About the test - The Arginine/GHRH stimulation test is used as a diagnostic test for growth hormone deficiency. Arginine, a normal amino acid in your body, stimulates growth hormone secretion. GHRH causes growth hormone to be released by the pituitary gland. What to Expect - "The nurse will place a needle in your arm for drawing bood and giving the Arginine and the GHRH. You will have blood drawn at intervals during the test to measure growth hormone". I was told the test would last approximately 2 hours, nothing to eat or drink after midnight the night before. There is also a sketch of the human anatomy indicating the different major endocrine glands. Starting at the top they are the hypothalamus, pituitary gland, parathyroid gland, thyroid gland, thymus, adrenal gland, kidney, pancreas, and so on. I will let you know after Friday what I find out.

Dara
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

For all the information and what procedure that is used.

It will save a lot of people who are interested in this test not to get stressed thinking about it.

You explained it very well!

Shalom, Shirl
  4. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

she will not test my growth hormones - says its too expensive for the injections - isn't that for me to decide? Wish I could find a doc around here to do it (central ME)
  5. Dara

Dara New Member

do you live near a teaching hospital? My test is being done at Oregon Health Sciences University. They have a grant to fund their Fibromyalgia Clinic and they just bill my insurance, at least I hope they do, I just called today to have them get a pre-authorization so that I don't have to end up paying for it. Also, I did ask the nurse what were the side affects, if any, from the test. She said the only time anyone has had a side affect is when they have gotten a "hot flash" from what they inject into you.

Dara
  6. PaulMark

PaulMark New Member

amy: I've had problems with GH injections my doc is cheney uses bike ergometry test protocal, i'm bout ready to retry 3rd time on own, mestinon drug is side effects, GH shots overactivated my TH2 system but cheney mentioned dosing immune modulating drug with it in a fax to me, can't have p.consult he's sick right now and backed up,

may re start at low doses taht most cfs pateinets can only handle is is not cost prohibitive i can't give name of the phramacia program here but e mail me paulstory@iolky.com

god bless PM
  7. Dara

Dara New Member

would you mind sharing with me what information you have about this test since I am having it done on Friday???

Dara
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Post a message to LakeDiver, as she is in a program with Eli Lily where she gets her shots either cheap or free, I can't remember which.
    Jaimy - I thought it was just the opposite and IGF is the unreliable test. I know I was told to get only the hGH stimulation test in which they take blood several times over 2 hrs., just like what Dara is having. Not true?
    I can tell you from personal experience in trying to get this test done that Medicare will not cover it no matter what. It costs over $600. for the hGH stim test!
    Thanks, Dara, for keeping us up to speed on your treatment. I, for one, am very interested in this.
    Klutzo
  9. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

One of the things I'm interested in is the relationship between herpes virus 6 and CFS. Arginine stimulates the growth of herpes viruses. I wonder if the arginine in our system is used by the herpes virus 6 (HHV6) for it's own growth thus leaving us deficient and causing a growth hormone deficiency in our system?. I'd be curious to know how many people with growth hormone deficiency also have tested postitive for herpes virus 6. I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to also be tested for HHV6 especially if the HGH stim test is positive. Just some thoughts......
  10. Karrot

Karrot New Member

I asked to be test on HGH. The doctor said "ok" but he didn't know what good it would do. And the all the test involved for me was drawing blood in a normal manner into a regular test tube. They never said anything about no eating or drinking and it sure as heck didn't take 2 hours! Did I get an inaccurate test??

Karrot
  11. Dara

Dara New Member

test today because it had not been pre-approved yet by Blue Cross. But, for those of you who are interested I did find out today from the Nurse Practitioner at OHSU that they have a $2.5 million dollar grant to study the relation between Fibromyalgia and lack of growth hormone. There is a website you can go to if you want to be part of the study. If any of you are interested and if it is OK with the moderators for me to post this website I will do it.

Dara
  12. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I found a clinic here in Florida, which will send you to a lab near you to get the IGF-1 test done for $100. They will send you needles and injectable hGH through the mail and have you retested every 3 months at the local lab. However, it is about $4,955.00 for the initial 4 months treatment. After that they drop you to half a dose for maintenance.
    So, I'd really like to know about this study too, since that $4,955 might as well be $4 million.....
    Thanks, Klutzo
    P.S. If any of you asking about hGH are on cholesterol lowering drugs, please see my post about that and your input is appreciated.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/07/2002]
  13. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

I for one would be very interested in the website.....AMY
  14. Dara

Dara New Member

from one of the moderators to see if it is OK for me to post the website that gives all the information regarding the growth hormone research study. Just as soon as I get the OK I will post it for all of you who are interested. I don't know how close you have to live to Portland but I do believe I read somewhere on the site that you would need to be seen as the facility.

Dara
  15. Dara

Dara New Member

how I found out that my test would not be covered was because I called my insurance carrier (Regency Blue Cross) and they said they would need to talk to the doctor who ordered the test. This all took place at the last minute (day before the test was scheduled), so rather than take the chance of having the test and owing lots of money I cancelled for now. The physician from OHSU who ordered it is going to call the insurance company for me. She is the one who told me about the grant money available for the growth hormone test study. If my insurance doesn't cover, then all I have to do is sign up through the website I mentioned and I will be able to have it done. But, as you know, since it is a study one half of the group tested will be injected with a placebo as opposed to the real thing. Will let you know more information as soon as I get the OK to post the website.

Thanks,
    Dara
  16. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

As far I I know web sites are ok to post - others do it all the time. There was a time a while back that you couldn't but I believe that was changed.......so please post it......AMY
  17. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Wondered where you had gone to! Thanks. I wonder if your levels being normal are one reason why you have had so much improvement???
    Even though I have many of the symptoms caused by low hGH, ie. abnormal lipids, osteopenia, abdominal wt. gain,poor sleep and a desire to isolate myself, I also have some traits that don't fit with low hGH at all, ie. I have large, over-developed muscles from working out and previous athletic stuff I did before FMS. My muscles should be wasting away if my hGH is really low. Wt. loss is also common with low hGH, and oh, don't I wish I had that problem!
    The clinic I contacted only does IGF-1 anyway, so I will pursue that after first asking my new PCP if she will do it, so ins. will cover it. She is a D.O. and I have found them to be more open to this stuff than M.D.'s ,so I am hopeful.
    Thanks, Klutzo
  18. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Ohmyaching - I think you may be on to something there! That possible connection should be looked at for sure. You think like a researcher!
    Karrot - what were the results of your test?
    Klutzo
  19. selma

selma New Member

I,d really like to know what tests that have proven helpful
    to all of you. And, what is a waste of time and MONEY.

Jaimy, happy to see your thread. Please post it so others can read it. Now I'll ask for a IGF test.
    Who knew!! You DID.

Love, Selma
  20. Dara

Dara New Member

the website that explains all about the testing for the growth hormone study is at www.myalgia.com - When you get the home page at the top on the right is a box to highlight "Research Subjects" and it will tell in there about all the clinical trials that are going on for FM. I also have found that this has been a good site for information, it is Dr. Bennett's webpage I believe. The only reason I was reluctant to post it is because I got "kicked off" the healthboard message board with no prior warning because I had posted a website that I had found to be extremely helpful with FMS. Let me know what you think of the website after you have had a chance to browse through it.

Dara